• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Thanks for this post. I've been wondering about using HDLP to protect the natural leather heel and edge. I'm gonna try Blackrock Leather N Rich first though, as I already have some of that. The cleaner compound in Blackrock is a bit strong, so I think it might clean off a good amount of dirt or light stains from the heel and edge.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the British Tan Chromepak Main Street boots that White's had up on ebay. I was selling an old pair of tan, C-shade Tricker's that I hardly ever wore, but do like British Tan as a color, particularly as a pull-up leather. The fit was a bit tight for being on the Barrie last, but they opened up nicely after breaking in just an hour or two. The pointiness of the toe took me a minute to get used to, since I mostly wear round-toe boots, but it's nice to have an option in the closet for more formal occasions. I have to say, they are extremely high quality for the price! Yes, they are not fully rebuildable, but this isn't a problem I'll ever have to confront, really. Obligatory ****** iPhone pics attached.

IMG_3245.jpg

Last edited:

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@meso - those are amazing! chromepack leather is something i've been wanting for a LONG time. What is the story behind that build? Id really like to order something in that leather if it's possible.

Thanks,
j

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh it was just one of the pairs that Whitesriver had on Ebay. Semi-impulse buy. I have no idea about the story about this build (tho Sambam has been talking about the MP/Main Street builds here for a while). I'd imagine unless there is some Chrome drought on still, you can probably just buy a pair from White's. They can give you an approximate lead time.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
are you sure it's Chrompak then? WhitesRiver has some British Tan Domaine (domaine leather = Seidel) Leather SD's up right now and White's is saying that it's likely a typo and the leather is just CXL (horween). Chromepak is pretty unique stuff - always wanted to get some boots made with it

@sambam - do you offer Seidel's Domaine or Horween's Chromepack?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the British Tan Chromepak Main Street boots that White's had up on ebay. I was selling an old pair of tan, C-shade Tricker's that I hardly ever wore, but do like British Tan as a color, particularly as a pull-up leather. The fit was a bit tight for being on the Barrie last, but they opened up nicely after breaking in just an hour or two. The pointiness of the toe took me a minute to get used to, since I mostly wear round-toe boots, but it's nice to have an option in the closet for more formal occasions. I have to say, they are extremely high quality for the price! Yes, they are not fully rebuildable, but this isn't a problem I'll ever have to confront, really. Obligatory ****** iPhone pics attached.

View attachment 1229682

View attachment 1229681

View attachment 1229683
@meso is back, baby..!

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you sure it's Chrompak then? WhitesRiver has some British Tan Domaine (domaine leather = Seidel) Leather SD's up right now and White's is saying that it's likely a typo and the leather is just CXL (horween). Chromepak is pretty unique stuff - always wanted to get some boots made with it

Not sure if it's Chromepak. Ebay auction just says "chrome" so maybe chromexcel? (I confess I'm not 100% sure of the difference between the two)

@meso is back, baby..!

LOL... I finally got a few paychecks! ???

Netvine

Reaction score
Thanks for this post. I've been wondering about using HDLP to protect the natural leather heel and edge. I'm gonna try Blackrock Leather N Rich first though, as I already have some of that. The cleaner compound in Blackrock is a bit strong, so I think it might clean off a good amount of dirt or light stains from the heel and edge.

I love the results from using fiebings resolene for touch ups. (LegalEagles method) The HDLP attracted a lot of gunk and made the stack look very ages and worn. I sanded it down and applied the resolene and looked close to factory edge.

miggyramone

Reaction score
I love the results from using fiebings resolene for touch ups. (LegalEagles method) The HDLP attracted a lot of gunk and made the stack look very ages and worn. I sanded it down and applied the resolene and looked close to factory edge.
I'll have to google that stuff. I used Allen Edmonds neutral sole edge and heel dressing recently. So far so good. A little bit of a learning curb - got a bit of it on the heel counter but no big deal otherwise.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score

View attachment 1229682

View attachment 1229681

View attachment 1229683
These look great! It's so nice to see real world pics of these for once and not promotional images. They look even better than I thought. Very nice!

miggyramone

Reaction score
I think it is CXL. I was looking at the Semi Dress with a comp half sole on White's site. It lists British tan as Chromexcel in their color options.

Phalanx

Reaction score
How heavy is everyone's boots? My 13EE BHs are 1.3kg each and I was wondering if that leans towards the heavy or light end of the scale. I most interested in how heavy people's SD and MP boots are (I'm going to assume 10 inch steel toe cap SJs weigh a lot!).

sambam

Reaction score

We do have a size run of seidels domaine. It was some hides we had laying around. Everything else is cxcel. Not Chromepak.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads