• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Davey13

Reaction score
Grahame Fowler is who I was trying to remember:

https://grahamefowler.com/shop/mens-shoes-boots/whites/

Thanks I will look into that. The problem is with these, is they were a collaboration with Triple Aught Design, and only options for this boot is D or EE. Not sure if that's an exclusive collaboration thing or just in general with the MPs. But, the D seems to be fitting my foot nicely. Very comfortable in fact other than the space in the heel. Thanks again.

Ice Bear

Reaction score
You could try heel inserts. They attach to the back of the boot and fill in the gap. They have worked for me on a pair of loafers.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the problem is my feet get so hot in thick socks, and really planned on using these with very thin socks.
Only you know what is best for your feet and feels "right"... you might be surprised if you try some thicker wool socks... I find quality wool socks work for both summer and winter, and are not as hot as you may think given their wicking ability. It also seems counterintuitive, but a tongue pad can help reduce heel slip... seriously... a tongue pad. I would try all of these things before sending the boots back...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RSG1XK/ref=twister_B07BDVVPQT?th=1

b1lf

Reaction score
Get Darn Tough micro crew length, light cushion weight, wool socks.

I wear my boots 14 hours per day M-F in hot Southern California sun, and they are a life saver. After 1 pair, I bet you’ll buy 5 more and only wear them exclusively.

Since wool is a natural metal material, they never smell either. I can wear them to work 3 days in a row.

The comfort is insane. All of my friends have converted. Made in USA. LIFETIME warranty.

YTHMNSTRY

Reaction score
Only you know what is best for your feet and feels "right"... you might be surprised if you try some thicker wool socks... I find quality wool socks work for both summer and winter, and are not as hot as you may think given their wicking ability. It also seems counterintuitive, but a tongue pad can help reduce heel slip... seriously... a tongue pad. I would try all of these things before sending the boots back...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RSG1XK/ref=twister_B07BDVVPQT?th=1
+1 on the tongue pad. It could be that your foot is fairly low volume which can make sizing difficult. The tongue pad will push your heel to the back and down and also keep your toes from sliding forward.

andy b.

Reaction score
I was mainly suggesting the thicker sock test as an experiment. If wearing thick socks helps make the boots feel like they fit better, then that means they are probably too large, if you plan to always wear thin socks.
I have a pair of LTT SmokeJumpers in 9.5E. I bought them just to wear in winter with very thick wool socks. If I wear them with normal thin hiking socks, they feel like they're going to fall off my feet. 9.5C is my normal Whites size. I can't go any shorter in length because it seems as though the ball of my foot is slightly wider than the average foot dimension ratio, and my pinky toe starts getting pressure in any shorter length.

So I put on thicker socks just now, (not wool but thicker cotton sport socks) and they feel a lot better in size. I still have a little bit of heel slip but it feels better. the problem is my feet get so hot in thick socks, and really planned on using these with very thin socks.

Still not sure how I screwed up on the measurements. Do you think I'd be okay going down a half size? With other boots if my toes get cramped I get very bad blisters in between my toes, and hate to think about spending this dough on a pair that will still be cramped.

I can try to make the larger ones work now, but if the breaking in of the heel doesn't take up a good half inch of actual length in the heel, that scares me too. I appreciate your help.

b1lf

Reaction score
I have one pair of boots I kept and used tongue pads and heel pads. Huge amount of regret.

Last edited:

Davey13

Reaction score
Get Darn Tough micro crew length, light cushion weight, wool socks.

I wear my boots 14 hours per day M-F in hot Southern California sun, and they are a life saver. After 1 pair, I bet you’ll buy 5 more and only wear them exclusively.

Since wool is a natural metal material, they never smell either. I can wear them to work 3 days in a row.

The comfort is insane. All of my friends have converted. Made in USA. LIFETIME warranty.

Wow, really? I've heard good things about wool, but always stayed away because they sounded very warm when I think about socks made from it. My feet are literally always sweating. I have come to use very thin dress socks for any footwear these days, just feels light and cool this way.

If the wool can do the same, I will pick up a pair to try. You really have me wanting to try some now. Maybe that will be the solution. I hope. Still may send these back for a half size down though, such a tough decision.

Davey13

Reaction score
I have one pair of boots I kept and used tongue pads and heel pads. Huge amount of regret.

That's a fear of mine. I've never bought boots for 600 bucks before, and cringe at the thought of having to use little fixes like this to make them work. Not what I imagined in my mind when I was shelling out the money. Perhaps a half size down will be the ultimate fix. So far, I'm leaning towards sending them back for smaller ones. Thanks

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Wow, really? I've heard good things about wool, but always stayed away because they sounded very warm when I think about socks made from it. My feet are literally always sweating. I have come to use very thin dress socks for any footwear these days, just feels light and cool this way.

If the wool can do the same, I will pick up a pair to try. You really have me wanting to try some now. Maybe that will be the solution. I hope. Still may send these back for a half size down though, such a tough decision.

It defies "common sense" but it's true. I couldn't get my feet sweating if I tried to when wearing proper 100% leather boots with proper woolen socks. Thick or thin socks makes no real difference I've noticed, it's more a question of nailing the fit with the sock-thickness.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I have really sweaty feet as well and only ever wore wool socks in very cold weather when I knew I'd be outside for a long time, like winter camping or backpacking, and then they were always heavier ones worn over polypropylene socks and under heavy winter boots. But, when I got my first White's, I also ordered some merino wool socks as I didn't really have proper socks to wear with them and I could not be happier with that choice. I actually wore medium thick wool socks with my Bounty Hunters in super hot August weather and I feel like the moisture wicking properties of the wool actually kept my feet cooler than thin cotton socks with fabric lined sneakers. Not to mention the extreme reduction in smell and overall foot grossness. I am a full on full time wool sock convert and I can't imagine ever going back to cotton.

b1lf

Reaction score

Darn Tough socks come in a variety of lengths and thicknesses.... I find the above recommended length and thickness perfect.

I have 2 pairs of the “cushion” (one step thicker), and I’ll wear them on particularly cold days, however the light cushion would still keep my foot warm.

Wool keeps your feet cool when it’s hot, and hot when it’s cold. Read some reviews. These are enormously popular with hikers.

I threw out all my other socks sans some dress socks and few pairs of Balega running socks....... but I just bought a pair of the Darn Tough ‘ultra light no show cushion’... and yet again they are superior to even the Balega’s which I thought were great.

They sell them in all black so even if you have a formal work job where you’re in a suit every day you can get away with wearing them.

b1lf

Reaction score
That's a fear of mine. I've never bought boots for 600 bucks before, and cringe at the thought of having to use little fixes like this to make them work. Not what I imagined in my mind when I was shelling out the money. Perhaps a half size down will be the ultimate fix. So far, I'm leaning towards sending them back for smaller ones. Thanks

Send them back. I had to.... I ordered my boots on Black Friday (11/23/18).... and I still don’t have my pair yet.

It’ll be worth the wait.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads