• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all a matter of preference in my opinion on a handwelted white's vs a goodyear welted white's. I have been here 30 years and I wore a smokejumper when I made boots, I own a semi dress but I never wear it. I own a bunch of reserve line boots (for some reason all the prototypes are designed in my size:), and I've worn them everyday for the last 2 years and absolutely love them. It's a style thing for me. What we are trying to do is hit a different segment in the market. We have kept them as close to our traditional white's as we could. All leather shank, counter, reinforced inside counter pocket, heavier leather insole than other brands, etc. The rebuilding part is all about the upper. If we knew we could replace the vamps on these styles with no problems, then we would offer full rebuilds. Some of these new upper styles we just can't rebuild the uppers consistently. So on a reserve resole, if the ribbon is good, we can just take the sole off and re welt the boot. If the ribbon is bad then we will have to re ribbon the insole, relast the boot, re welt the boot, before re bottoming the boot. I like that we have all of you around on this forum. The White's purists. I knew the goodyear welted stuff wouldn't fly with you guys and gals. But to new consumers that want a true dress boot or shoe look it might. Plus we have been building a goodyear welted, mid price point fire boot for 10 years now. We didn't need to buy new machines to start this line. So if it flies, it flies. If it doesn't it doesn't.
Again, thank you @sambam for contributing to this forum... I really appreciate it.

I understand that White's has to change and adapt in order to stay in business, as long as you continue to offer the traditional hand welted boots, both resoleable and rebuildable, I hope the fashion lines work out for you. Some are calling this move toward fashion and new markets the inevitable result of being purchased by ABC mart, I don't know... I just know I like your traditional boots.

If I am going to spend $500 for a pair of Whites, I want them to be both resoelable, and rebuildable, preferably multiple times so I can get a return on investment... others may find $500 to be pocket change and not care if the boot is rebuildable, but it takes all kinds.

Seriously, I hope this move is successful for Whites so you can afford to keep building the traditional models for me!

But if you ever make a White's sneaker (Viberg I am looking at you), I may have to jump the shark!

So if it flies, it flies. If it doesn't it doesn't.
Amen and God bless capitalism... let the market decide...

sambam

Reaction score
Again, thank you @sambam for contributing to this forum... I really appreciate it.

I understand that White's has to change and adapt in order to stay in business, as long as you continue to offer the traditional hand welted boots, both resoleable and rebuildable, I hope the fashion lines work out for you. Some are calling this move toward fashion and new markets the inevitable result of being purchased by ABC mart, I don't know... I just know I like your traditional boots.

If I am going to spend $500 for a pair of Whites, I want them to be both resoelable, and rebuildable, preferably multiple times so I can get a return on investment... others may find $500 to be pocket change and not care if the boot is rebuildable, but it takes all kinds.

Seriously, I hope this move is successful for Whites so you can afford to keep building the traditional models for me!

But if you ever make a White's sneaker (Viberg I am looking at you), I may have to jump the shark!

Amen and God bless capitalism... let the market decide...
Our traditional White's will never go away. Our business is still mostly fire boots and work boots. A small percent of our semi dress and bounty hunters are sold in the states. They are mostly sold in Japan and China. ABC mart has absolutely nothing to do with the new designs. It's all me and they want nothing to do with the Reserve line. They have not asked for one sample pair. The reason they acquired us is because of how White's are built and the heritage we have behind us. The last thing they will do is change that. And no to the sneaker, don't want to bash anybody but that thing is hideous. More power to them if they can produce and market it.

fasthall

Reaction score
It's all a matter of preference in my opinion on a handwelted white's vs a goodyear welted white's. I have been here 30 years and I wore a smokejumper when I made boots, I own a semi dress but I never wear it. I own a bunch of reserve line boots (for some reason all the prototypes are designed in my size:), and I've worn them everyday for the last 2 years and absolutely love them. It's a style thing for me. What we are trying to do is hit a different segment in the market. We have kept them as close to our traditional white's as we could. All leather shank, counter, reinforced inside counter pocket, heavier leather insole than other brands, etc. The rebuilding part is all about the upper. If we knew we could replace the vamps on these styles with no problems, then we would offer full rebuilds. Some of these new upper styles we just can't rebuild the uppers consistently. So on a reserve resole, if the ribbon is good, we can just take the sole off and re welt the boot. If the ribbon is bad then we will have to re ribbon the insole, relast the boot, re welt the boot, before re bottoming the boot. I like that we have all of you around on this forum. The White's purists. I knew the goodyear welted stuff wouldn't fly with you guys and gals. But to new consumers that want a true dress boot or shoe look it might. Plus we have been building a goodyear welted, mid price point fire boot for 10 years now. We didn't need to buy new machines to start this line. So if it flies, it flies. If it doesn't it doesn't.
Well said @sambam! So, could you post some Main Street's photos? The only thing I've seen so far is the picture on the catalog.

Last edited:

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Yeah, I know we see a lot of really gonzo custom builds for the Asian market floating around the internet, but other than a penchant for thicker midsole stacks, I think if you followed the whitesboots hashtag on Instagram for example basically anyone could see that a) the vast majority of people posting photos of these boots (i.e. the fashion-conscious portion of the customer base) are in Asia and b) that they're very much into the vintage, handmade Americana thing. I really can't imagine them wanting the core designs or construction to change. I mean, look at how many bootmakers there are now in Japan that are basically just ripping off of White's and Wesco.

On another note, last week I treated my bounty hunters with Bick LP. Now, I don't have any direct experience with Obenauf's, but I can say that I really liked this stuff. Felt good on the fingers, smelled good, was a pleasure to work into the leather. I was pretty light with it on the brown dress leather but a bit more generous on the midsole, welt, laces, and the roughout patches. I really, really like what it's done to the roughout - really does look pretty much exactly like the black waxed flesh I've seen, which is a really perfect pairing with the darkness of the brown dress if you ask me. It is a bit sticky and the roughout parts especially have become sort of dust magnets, but the brush mostly takes care of that, and it seems like it's getting less tacky over time. I was gonna post pictures, but eh, I'll probably wait until I can post some three month wear photos.

Last edited:

sambam

Reaction score
Wel said @sambam! So, could you post some Main Street's photos? The only thing I've seen so far is the picture on the catalog.
We have a bunch of Main Streets coming through in all different colors. When they are done, I will post some pics. The Main St is my favorite, but I have been wearing a suede distress Otto derby all summer. Like a slipper now.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...ABC mart has absolutely nothing to do with the new designs. It's all me and they want nothing to do with the Reserve line. They have not asked for one sample pair. The reason they acquired us is because of how White's are built and the heritage we have behind us. The last thing they will do is change that. And no to the sneaker, don't want to bash anybody but that thing is hideous. More power to them if they can produce and market it.

Then I am going to keep harassing you about getting the MP in other leathers and trying to convince you to make an even "dressier casual fashion" boot, if that even make sense.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a bunch of Main Streets coming through in all different colors. When they are done, I will post some pics. The Main St is my favorite, but I have been wearing a suede distress Otto derby all summer. Like a slipper now.

Can you do the Otto derby with a double leather sole? Looks like Dainite is the only option from the catalog.

Jmccle2

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Vaquero bullhide leather? Whitesriver has a pair in vaquero/black cxl on eBay in my size for a good price. Thinking of pulling the trigger.

sambam

Reaction score
Then I am going to keep harassing you about getting the MP in other leathers and trying to convince you to make an even "dressier casual fashion" boot, if that even make sense.
I just ok'd the MP in all of our oil leathers. Black, brown, red dog and distress. Smooth and rough out. Hope that helps.

sambam

Reaction score
Can you do the Otto derby with a double leather sole? Looks like Dainite is the only option from the catalog.
Only dainite for now. We are looking at a one piece dovetail heel or a leather stacked heel with a rubber cap for the double leather sole. In next years development.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ok'd the MP in all of our oil leathers. Black, brown, red dog and distress. Smooth and rough out. Hope that helps.

Drooling at the thought of these in a Distressed Smooth and unstructured toe now. Ok people, buy my brand new CXL MPs already so I can order these. :cheers:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just like that? With a mere decree?
@sambam Could you use that same benevolent omnipotence to "OK" Horsehide for the Smokejumper as well as all waxed flesh for the SD (along with Danite soles)... I mean you are all powerful at White's, are you not? ;)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gretchenx