• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mr. burns

Reaction score

Royteane

Reaction score

This is my new centennial Walker in BT. I ordered .5 size up to wear thin socks and put orthotic insole in. Result is poor they are not wide enough. Then I try them with socks which I usually wear with SD and SJ. I feel tight in width weather they are half size up. they might not very fashionable but surprisingly comfortable and great slip resistant. I don't know what last they built on but a width up may required for anyone who interested.

spurs61

Reaction score
Hey spurs, I'm thinking of getting this exact same boot, mainly bc my Red Wing wedge boots are also so comfortable. But do you miss the 'Arch-ease' arch? I noticed that someone else later on had managed to get a wedge-soled arch-ease-lasted boot which seems to be the best of all worlds! Granted, your boot is a bargain, IMO. Can you post some more pics from all angles?? Thanks!

PS Edit to my own post! I just realized these are not the bargain stitch-down hikers by Bakers I thought they were. So, what's the difference between these Cougars and the hikers?? Anyone??

chicken1616

Reaction score
A few comments. If you go longer in length, you are essentially moving the widest part of the boot forward, which can give you feeling of more width, depending on your foot shape. If you use an (particularly full length)insole, you are moving your foot UP into a more narrow part of the boot. Lowering the heel, can make your perceived size seem different.
Your foot size can change over the course of the day. If you change your socks just from light-medium to medium, you may change your size significantly. Correctly lacing, and tightening your boots as you wear them, particularly during break-in, is very important if you want to maximize the benefits of these boots. If you don't have a callus down the outside edge of your pinky fingers, you are not tightening your boots enough during break-in. During break-in, over an 8 hour or so day, you are probably going to have to completely tighten your boots at least 3-4 times. After they are broken in, you are going to have to probably do two complete tightenings a day.
Every White's or Nicks I own(except my 3 Hathorn cowboy type) has a least a Spenco 3/4 length insole. If it is a work boot, it has a Spenco full length Cross Walker(Wide) insole. Therefore, my work boots are wider. I measure out at 13B on a Brannock(I have my own!). My arches are different lengths, and I have fairly long toes.
When you have said insoles, you can tighten these boots down, and they will become an extension of your foot, even the heaviest ones. The insoles supplement the Arch-Ease. I have boots in the following sizes:
12 1/2EE(55's)
12 1/2F(55)
13C (Cowboy)
13 1/2C (Cowboy)
13D(55, 461)
13E(Drews/Nicks LTT Packer)
13FF(Nicks 55 #3 toe)
13 1/2F(55)
14D(690Packer)
14EE(Multiple)
14B(Swing Last)
14 1/2B(Cowboy)
14F(4811)
14FF(4811)
15E(55 Steel)

I can and do wear them all, successfully. However, as I have gained experience, If I order any more, I'll just go with a 14EE for normal use, or 14F or FF for work, or 14E in a Swing. As I have had a few boots with a bottom rebuild, I go as wide as I can go(which is up 2 widths). I have never felt I have a boot too wide. I certainly have felt not wide enough. If you feel your boot is not wide enough, drop your sock size. If you use a polypro or Thermax liner sock, it will give you room.
If I was new to White's boots, I would try to figure my best size, buy a used pair for cheap on e-bay, wear them for a month or two, and adjust my size from there. Everyone's foot is different, and only you can figure what is best for you.

mr. burns

Reaction score

Good wear on those.

My brown oil tan should be arriving tomorrow from Bakers. Just over a month for a custom build. Not bad at all.

Nice. Enjoy them, but be ready for the long breakin period. Mine look like the standard brown oil tan when they have a bit on obenauf's on them, but they're actually the distressed smooth.

gte872h

Reaction score

Nice. Enjoy them, but be ready for the long breakin period. Mine look like the standard brown oil tan when they have a bit on obenauf's on them, but they're actually the distressed smooth.

Thanks. I already have a couple of pairs of Vibergs in black oil tan, so hopefully the break in isn't too much worse than those.

motojobobo

Reaction score
I have a pair of Farmer-Ranchers in distressed smooth where I found break-in to be very easy with no pain at all and very little discomfort. They are now very comfy.
Now, how much stiffer are black or brown oil tan than distressed smooth? I was under the impression that those three leathers (plus red dog) shared near identical characteristics: weight, stiffness, thickness, flexibility.
I'd like to know if I'm mistaken before I order a second boot as I am considering a new build in brown oil tan. Thanks for any advice.

petersim

Reaction score
I have a pair of Farmer-Ranchers in distressed smooth where I found break-in to be very easy with no pain at all and very little discomfort. They are now very comfy.
Now, how much stiffer are black or brown oil tan than distressed smooth? I was under the impression that those three leathers (plus red dog) shared near identical characteristics: weight, stiffness, thickness, flexibility.
I'd like to know if I'm mistaken before I order a second boot as I am considering a new build in brown oil tan. Thanks for any advice.
If you don't mind the darkening effect [which on brown oil should not be much], my experience is that Obenauf's LP will break-in any leather. Especially if you already have good experience with distressed.

chicken1616

Reaction score
If you don't mind the darkening effect [which on brown oil should not be much], my experience is that Obenauf's LP will break-in any leather. Especially if you already have good experience with distressed.
I agree 100% with this. It absolutely helps with the break in.

gte872h

Reaction score

Here's what sambam had to say a couple of months back.

------------------

post #9003 of 95661/16/17 at 2:27pm

We the same thickness of leather on all of our work boots. Around 8 ounces. Black and brown oil would be the best. Our brown is a little softer than our black right now. Looks really nice too.

-------------------

I would say you should be fine with brown oil tan if you didn't have any issues with your distressed smooth.

Everyone's different though. I just received my pair in brown oil tan and can already tell I won't have much of problem breaking in the uppers since the fit is on point. I also didn't really have a problem with my Viberg black oil tan engineers either. On the other hand, my pair of black oil tan roughout scout boots on Vibram christy morflex wedge soles are difficult to wear because not having a heel kills the outside of my midfoot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads