• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

phidauex

Reaction score

I'm sure this question has been answered many times but... IF anyone has alternatives to ebay to find a whites Bounty Hunter boot in a 5 or 5.5 E or EE,please let me know. This forum is awesome. A lot of great content and discussions. Thank you all and have a great day.

That is a really uncommon size, and believe me, that is coming from someone who wears a 6.5B. I did the math a while back, and men with 6.5 feet or less make less than 0.15% of the market, so we just don't have many stock offerings.

For that size, you should just go through Baker Shoe and take advantage of White's best service - a custom build. That's what I have, and I like them a lot. You can also lurk on the "whitesriver" ebay user, which is their overstock area. I have seen 5s and 6s come up, but very infrequently. Another option is to consider Wesco, who also make a lot of boots in women's sizing, which means their Factory Seconds page has boots in women's sizing. If you can translate your sizing, then most of those boots are just a smaller version of the normal boot.

Good luck!

Last edited:

phidauex

Reaction score

Is it possible to order directly through White's without going through baker's? Seems like you could call in an order but they are not set up to do online orders.

Yes, you can order straight through Whites, but it is more "old fashioned" of an experience, and they aren't as experienced with the more fashionable offerings over the phone, which is the main reason people go through Baker Shoe - they act as the intermediary to translate our fashionable requests into White's list of specific offerings.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to order directly through White's without going through baker's? Seems like you could call in an order but they are not set up to do online orders.

Yes, you can order straight through Whites, but it is more "old fashioned" of an experience, and they aren't as experienced with the more fashionable offerings over the phone, which is the main reason people go through Baker Shoe - they act as the intermediary to translate our fashionable requests into White's list of specific offerings.

Agree with phidauex, and would only add that if you plan on getting a block heel, then you can ask Baker's to sand the heel down at no extra cost, more or less flush to the heel, to compensate for White's notorious "overhang" on block heels. They did that on my BH's and they did a great job.

Americanaaa

Reaction score
I'm just trying to find away around the two tone limit

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oldies but goodies

trvlr472

Reaction score
Thanks

I can't tell the difference between the swing last #38 and the 4811 standard smoke jumper last.

There's a difference alright. The swing last is wider up front. The Smoke Jumper is taller and has more "volume" in the tow area. I have a pair of each. Love the swing last but if you have to stuff big, heavy socks into something then the standard SJ last is the ticket. Not that it doesn't work with regular socks.

trvlr472

Reaction score
I'm at work right now in a pair of standard trim, cap-toe, Swing-lasted 12's & I'd say they don't look too crazy, size-wise.

I've got a pair of Classic workboots with, obviously, the Classic last which I believe is the C461 and I have a pair of swing-lasted. For the life of me I can't decide which one I like the best because they are both so nice. The classics have less arch support and the weird thing is, the swing last gained "more" arch support once they were broken in. Quite strange but true. I do lean towards the swing-last as being my favorite because I do have the "duck foot" syndrome going on here.

Last edited:

trvlr472

Reaction score
Anybody tried using orthotics or adding insole into Whites? Does it work well and how to order the size up?

I've thought the same thing becaue I'd like to get some heated insoles for work and they take up quite a bit of room from what i hear. My thought is to pick the last and boot you want and send them the insoles so they can get them fitted in there.

Royteane

Reaction score

I've thought the same thing becaue I'd like to get some heated insoles for work and they take up quite a bit of room from what i hear.  My thought is to pick the last and boot you want and send them the insoles so they can get them fitted in there.

I'm working with Kyle for it. Kyle has a lovely for me. Surely let you guys know if it works well. But if not... it s an absolutely 400$ junk.

Americanaaa

Reaction score
There's a difference alright. The swing last is wider up front. The Smoke Jumper is taller and has more "volume" in the tow area. I have a pair of each. Love the swing last but if you have to stuff big, heavy socks into something then the standard SJ last is the ticket. Not that it doesn't work with regular socks.
which one would you say has more "kick" to it between the two. as in the toe kicking upward.

TH3515

Reaction score
^From what I've seen, there's not much difference between the two in that respect. But the higher, more bulbuous toe on the SJ last will add some additional "kick" after some wear. I took a side view of my SJ last Farmer-Rancher to illustrate this:

You can see that the leather has adapted to my foot in the area where most of the flexing takes place but leaves a pronounced bump at the very end of the toe box. This is a soft toe boot, so that bump is not shaped by any underlying structure. It just develops all by itself.
The sole is also bent upwards a little bit further than when new. But if you want a really obvious "kick" actually built into the boot, you'd probably want the #461 last.

Americanaaa

Reaction score
^From what I've seen, there's not much difference between the two in that respect. But the higher, more bulbuous toe on the SJ last will add some additional "kick" after some wear. I took a side view of my SJ last Farmer-Rancher to illustrate this:

You can see that the leather has adapted to my foot in the area where most of the flexing takes place but leaves a pronounced bump at the very end of the toe box. This is a soft toe boot, so that bump is not shaped by any underlying structure. It just develops all by itself.
The sole is also bent upwards a little bit further than when new. But if you want a really obvious "kick" actually built into the boot, you'd probably want the #461 last.
thanks! those look great

Chawk806

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet it's very difficult to fine a broken in pair for sale since they last a life time and most guys probably just keep resoling them.
1f600.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads