• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mikeman

Reaction score

There is a close trim option.  This one is of the wider variety and looks normal to me.
There is a close trim option.  This one looks to be of the wider variety and otherwise looks normal to me.

I think the close trim is the difference between 1 and 2 rows of stitching. Like I said, not a huge deal, but doesn't seem noticeable on other pairs.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shelf near the arch is perfectly normal.. I actually like that as it protects the leather near the arch..

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Yea, looks fine - most important they were comfortable to you....and for $275!

What he said. Relax and enjoy a super cheap price on very nice boots.

Whirling

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I got a pair of semi dress from Amazon. Ended up getting them for about $275! Got them today, and out of the box they are pretty damn comfy- once they break in a bit, they'll be even better.

So I get that these a work boots, but the finish seems to a little rough. One of the toes has a slightly darker, almost burnished toe. However, it's not that big of a deal.

The think i'm wondering is the part under the arch suppose to have all this extra leather kind of sticking out? Maybe it won't look as crazy once they break in, but all of the pictures I've seen don't seem to have the extra. See the attached pictures. they don't seem to be trimmed very close.

I got the same boots off of Amazon. I found that "shelf" a little unusual, but I like it...makes the boots look a little unique and reflects their heritage. As you mention, they're work boots, but it's also the case that White's doesn't QC the finer points all that closely. There were some irregularities with the stitching on mine. I wish White's paid a little more attention to certain details, but I really love them. They are so much more solid and significant than so many boots out there, such as Alden Indies, which are excellent boots too, but so different, even though they are supposedly work boots too.

Once I bought some Semi-Dresses off of Amazon, I became smitten with all the high-end boots from that region: White's, Nick's, Wesco, and Viberg. Each maker has its own set of fans, but they all make excellent boots with different pros and cons. Being the compulsive person that I am, I am trying them all...though my first pair of Wesco's haven't arrived yet.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the close trim is the difference between 1 and 2 rows of stitching. Like I said, not a huge deal, but doesn't seem noticeable on other pairs.

Right, close trim means one row of stitching, which as you note these have. But as others have said, this "shelf" is part of the White's build. I thought at first that it was weird and kind of goofy, but after wearing White's for a while I've really come to like it as a distinctive marker of the brand, and as something that makes the boots stand out a bit from all the fashion "work" boots you see. And my 17 year old daughter just the other day said she thought it looked really cool. So it has that going for it...

xiaopigu

Reaction score
Any thoughts on whether the c461 last would be ok for a high instep? From the pictures it seems that it's the same as the semi dress last, the difference being the toe box

xiaopigu

Reaction score
Also, what's the difference between the classic work boot and the bounty hunter aside from being made on different lasts?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on whether the c461 last would be ok for a high instep? From the pictures it seems that it's the same as the semi dress last, the difference being the toe box

Also, what's the difference between the classic work boot and the bounty hunter aside from being made on different lasts?

It has less arch support than the SD last, so would not be better for high insteps if you want that support. Also, when I tried a pair on it felt somewhat tighter than the same size in my BHs. The classic workboot is, I think, essentially a BH built on the c461 last. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say that both are modified Farmer-Ranchers, with the BH built on an SD last and the CWB built on the c461 last.

mikeman

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I decided to just keep them. Started wearing them, and they're great. A little break-in time and they'll be perfect.

So as everybody states, the laces that come with the boots are awful. I'm looking to get some waxed laces, but was wondering what length do you all use? The stock laces are about 54 inches, but I feel like they could be a bit shorter. I also, want to get an additional longer pair to try and wrap around the shaft of the boot once. Thanks again!

xiaopigu

Reaction score
It has less arch support than the SD last, so would not be better for high insteps if you want that support. Also, when I tried a pair on it felt somewhat tighter than the same size in my BHs. The classic workboot is, I think, essentially a BH built on the c461 last. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say that both are modified Farmer-Ranchers, with the BH built on an SD last and the CWB built on the c461 last.

Ahhhh, thanks! And is the Farmer-Rancher a modified Smoke Jumper?

TH3515

Reaction score
Yes. A Smokejumper on any other sole than the Vibram #100 is called a Farmer-Rancher.

The White's Smokejumper has the Vibram #100F lug sole, which is fire resistant. The sole is additionally fixed with screws so it won't come off even if the adhesive should fail under extreme heat.

To receive NFPA approval for use in actual wildland firefighting, there's some additional requirements: 8" minimum height, use of specific leather types (black smooth and not much else, I think), no steel toe.

The 100 is an excellent, very long wearing sole with high traction. It is also bulky (which on the other hand contributes to that specific Smokejumper look) and has a tendency to collect mud, dirt and gravel in its lugs. Impressive amounts of mud, dirt and gravel, actually. And it's not really suitable for driving.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I decided to just keep them. Started wearing them, and they're great. A little break-in time and they'll be perfect.

So as everybody states, the laces that come with the boots are awful. I'm looking to get some waxed laces, but was wondering what length do you all use? The stock laces are about 54 inches, but I feel like they could be a bit shorter. I also, want to get an additional longer pair to try and wrap around the shaft of the boot once. Thanks again!

I really like the genuine Wolverine 1000 miles laces, which are a bit wider and a bit waxier than the replacement ones found, for example, at Therightlace. I have both 45 and 54 inch versions, and I use the 45s on my 6" BHs, with the last two eyelets not laced. But my eyelets are close together because it's a really wide boot. I expect that the 45" ones would be perfect for a 5" SD. But if you wanted to lace up all the eyelets on a 6" boot you'd need the 54"

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en/1000-mile-1-4-inch-flat-shoelaces/22379Z.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads