• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another Darn Tough convert here, too! I only buy them on sale (GoBros currently has a 25% off sale) and over the last few years have picked up enough to replace all my cotton socks. I also have some Icebreaker and Smartwool socks, but mostly DT and mostly the hiker light- and medium-cushion variants in either micro crew or 1/4 socks. One reason I prefer DT is that their sizing ranges are better suited to my size feet and they seem to have more lycra than some other brands, which means the socks fit me better overall than Smartwool and Icebreaker -- they really seem to grip my instep well, so zero slippage.

They do seem to have tweaked their wool content recently, which is slightly disappointing. Now it's not uncommon to see some of the lighter-cushion socks with more nylon than wool in the mix. No idea yet how this will impact their comfort and stink resistance, but I'm sure it was done to increase their toughness (and probably to cut costs).

I have quite a few Darn Tough socks and they have some pretty good pricing and selection on Gov X if you are a veteran or government employee (everything from running to full OTC).

I used to always buy Smart Wool but I have read some iffy reviews lately. I have about 4 sets that are about 8 years old and I would usually recommend them but in all honesty, I have not purchased any lately. I do also like their wool thermal shirts and I use those for running in winter.

discomute

Reaction score
It was @hoppy_IPA ! I dug up the quote, excuse my poor recollection, with a great shot of some distressed Smooth boots (with distressed roughout heels)

Whites doesn’t have a work leather that doesn’t laugh at the elements.
I’ve been ankle deep in mud/snow/sleet/dogsh|t/puddles all week, still no issues since the day I bought em’.
Got the distressed F/R’s on foot today -
View attachment 1326847

Woodtroll

Reaction score
As far as the Distressed Smooth leather goes - I have a pair of Smoke Jumpers in that leather that are a couple of months (or so) old now.

It may be a work leather, and appears to hold up great to scuffs and minor abuse, but as folks have already pointed out here in the past, it DRINKS water! Compared to the black and brown oil tan smooth leathers, it will need quite a bit of oiling/greasing, at least at first, to come anywhere near the level of water repellency that the oil tans have right out of the box. Then it will be much darker than it started out. The darker tone is still pretty, and still much lighter than the brown oil tan, but I did really like the original brown color and was a little disappointed that I had to darken the leather quite a bit to get the boots to even bead water.

This is still a great leather, and is very comfortable. I just wanted you to be aware that if you need water repellency, the leather will be much darker once you achieved it. If you live in a drier area, and don't need to shed water, the leather will take much longer to darken.

paulraphael

Reaction score
Compared to the black and brown oil tan smooth leathers, it will need quite a bit of oiling/greasing, at least at first, to come anywhere near the level of water repellency that the oil tans have right out of the box. Then it will be much darker than it started out. The darker tone is still pretty, and still much lighter than the brown oil tan, but I did really like the original brown color and was a little disappointed that I had to darken the leather quite a bit to get the boots to even bead water.

Thanks, this is about what i was assuming. I'm actually hoping for a brown that's somewhere between the new color of distressed and brown smooth. I'd even consider brown smooth, but I that starts out on the dark end of what I'm looking for.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Thanks, this is about what i was assuming. I'm actually hoping for a brown that's somewhere between the new color of distressed and brown smooth. I'd even consider brown smooth, but I that starts out on the dark end of what I'm looking for.

The color I have now is definitely an in-between, starting to show a little bit of russet or old-copper-penny color. If you like that, you're going to be very happy with this leather! Now that mine sheds water (more or less), I really enjoy it. Good luck!

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain all the different cushioning options that Darn Tough has? I mean I understand conceptually, but it practice what does it mean? Do some end up being more like dress socks, and some more like boot socks? Seems overly complicated.

My Chups have treated me well and I love them. The underdog that I reach for most often are the
Anonymousism Melange Sock. Really love these guys.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain all the different cushioning options that Darn Tough has? I mean I understand conceptually, but it practice what does it mean? Do some end up being more like dress socks, and some more like boot socks? Seems overly complicated.

My Chups have treated me well and I love them. The underdog that I reach for most often are the
Anonymousism Melange Sock. Really love these guys.

I have not dealt with all of them but here is what I have:
ultra-light: Almost nylon or dress sock like thinness all over the foot
light: Medium heavy dress sock or running sock
padded light: same as above but it is reinforced at the heel and toe
ultra-light cushion: same as above but it is reinforced at the heel and toe
light cushion: Same as above but the sole is thicker
padded cushion: I have not dealt with these
cushion: Regular thickness sock with the sole well cushioned. Better for boots and shoes
full cushion: The same amount of thickness as the sole above all around the foot. If your boot/shoes are tight, this may not work for you. If your boots are slightly big, this is a great option for getting that fit.
extra cushion: Great for snow boots, skiing etc, would not wear these as a daily.

wordfool

Reaction score
I have not dealt with all of them but here is what I have:
ultra-light: Almost nylon or dress sock like thinness all over the foot
light: Medium heavy dress sock or running sock
padded light: same as above but it is reinforced at the heel and toe
ultra-light cushion: same as above but it is reinforced at the heel and toe
light cushion: Same as above but the sole is thicker
padded cushion: I have not dealt with these
cushion: Regular thickness sock with the sole well cushioned. Better for boots and shoes
full cushion: The same amount of thickness as the sole above all around the foot. If your boot/shoes are tight, this may not work for you. If your boots are slightly big, this is a great option for getting that fit.
extra cushion: Great for snow boots, skiing etc, would not wear these as a daily.

DT options are incredibly confusing, but I tend to put them into five main categories you've outlined above: un-cushioned (glorified dress socks of varying thickness), Ultra-light cushion (some padding on the sole), light cushion (thicker padding on the sole), medium cushion (which DT just calls "cushion" to confuse matters), full cushion (sole and top of foot and sometimes shin), and extra cushion (thick cushion all over). Light and medium cushion hike/trek socks seem to be their bread and butter and are mostly what i have.

But there's also different lines within each of those broad categories -- tactical, hiker, mountaineer, hunter, Fred Tuttle, ATC, Steely etc. -- which are more to do with pattern/style than features, although sometimes they have additional features depending the height or end-use (like Steely's fully cushioned toe or hunter's padded shin). And then there are the various heights, some of which have padding up the calf/shin and some of which don't.

TBH I still really don't know all the DT options and differences, not least because their own descriptions are incredibly vague sometimes. Does it have a padded shin or calf? The description usually doesn't say. Perhaps a lesson in confusing and excessive product expansion that White's doesn't want to follow!

Last edited:

wordfool

Reaction score
I have quite a few Darn Tough socks and they have some pretty good pricing and selection on Gov X if you are a veteran or government employee (everything from running to full OTC).

I used to always buy Smart Wool but I have read some iffy reviews lately. I have about 4 sets that are about 8 years old and I would usually recommend them but in all honesty, I have not purchased any lately. I do also like their wool thermal shirts and I use those for running in winter.

From what I read, Smartwool's socks went downhill after the founders left. I also have some old Smartwool socks (10+ years) that do seem much better made and have been bombproof. I think the PhD line is generally better made than the others based on my limited experience with some recent purchases.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, if anyone is still interested in a subject about waxed flesh from a few pages ago, I inadvertently made my own.

I was cleaning some old Eapulet trainers and applying Reno when the thought crossed my mind " I wonder what will happen if I apply it to the suede part..."

Surprisingly, it hardened and gave it an almost waxed flesh texture. I'm assuming applying Reno to any scuffs in WF would have the same result.

ZenSilk

Reaction score
5F346D99-0E02-423B-85AC-3A1BE675CDB4.jpg

About 14 hours in the sun over 2 days for these Veg Tan MP's. I think they are just about where I want them to be, what do ya'll think?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrendavid777