• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sledge42

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response, thought I had the covid, turned out to be the flu. Thanks to everyone for upping the level of chatter, I couldn't even watch Netflix as I kept getting motion sick in my fever.

Honestly it is at the stage I'm not worried. Its just one shoe, and if I do it up tighter than is comfortable it works. Or, if I use a newer pair of socks and keep them pulled up,it won't happen. If I do them looser than is comfortable,I can just pull them up every hour (generally.y option) I'm 100% sure if I invested in fancy socks I'd solve the issue. So I have options.

Glad to hear that it was only the flu!!

I have become a Darn Tough Convert, and I wear the boot height because almost all my boots are 8" I don't find that they fall down at all. If you go with Full Cushion or Extra Cushion, they may help in filling in your heel slip area also!

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Darn Tough socks get a lot of praise around here but it’s not without good reason. At first, it’s tough rationalize a $26 pair of socks, let alone multiple pairs. Wool year around on your feet is another thing that doesn’t seem to make sense.
Wearing boots all my life, I’ve always been on the hunt for the best & most comfortable socks. My experience is that they are without question the most comfortable & high quality socks I’ve owned. I wear them year around & they keep my feet really happy in all four seasons. They hold up incredibly well & feel nearly new after multiple years of wear.
Lately, I’ve really been taking a liking to OTC height. With my 10” work boots they stay up & feel “right” with the taller boot.

these are my daily’s for after work/weekends:

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
If you want a great deal on DT socks, here's a 3-pack for 30 bucks. Got them in the mail last week and wore them to break in my new MPs. Not sure what particular model of DT socks they're comparable to.

Sledge42

Reaction score
Darn Tough socks get a lot of praise around here but it’s not without good reason. At first, it’s tough rationalize a $26 pair of socks, let alone multiple pairs. Wool year around on your feet is another thing that doesn’t seem to make sense.
Wearing boots all my life, I’ve always been on the hunt for the best & most comfortable socks. My experience is that they are without question the most comfortable & high quality socks I’ve owned. I wear them year around & they keep my feet really happy in all four seasons. They hold up incredibly well & feel nearly new after multiple years of wear.
Lately, I’ve really been taking a liking to OTC height. With my 10” work boots they stay up & feel “right” with the taller boot.

these are my daily’s for after work/weekends:

If you are patient, there are places online that you can find them on sale fairly regularly. @Legal Eagles turned me onto them and I researched about wearing wool year round. It doesn't make sense (it would seem) to wear wool in the summer. But I'm telling y'all I'll never go back to cotton socks!

I now own 21 pair of DT socks, and if they wear out, get a hole- whatever, they replace them for FREE! I see them as more of an investment than a "Holy cow, $26 for a pair of socks?" With a lifetime guarantee, I literally may never have to buy socks ever again!

These are what I own most I own more than one pair of each:
Darn Tough Socks- Hunter- Full Cushion #2012-Charcoal
Darn Tough Socks- William Jarvis- Full Cushion #2009-Sand
Darn Tough Socks- William Jarvis- Full Cushion #2009-Gravel
Darn Tough Socks- Hiker- Full Cushion #1405-Olive
Darn Tough Socks- Hiker- Full Cushion #1405-Denim
Darn Tough Socks- Hiker- Full Cushion #1405-Charcoal
Darn Tough Socks- Hiker- Full Cushion #1405-Chocolate
Darn Tough Socks- Hiker- Full Cushion #1405-Black
Darn Tough Socks- Hiker- Full Cushion #1405-Oatmeal
Darn Tough Socks- Tactical- Full Cushion #T4022-Coyote
Darn Tough Socks- Tactical- Full Cushion #T4022-Foliage
Darn Tough Socks- Tactical- Full Cushion #T4022-Black
Darn Tough Socks- Tactical- Full Cushion #T4022-Desert Tan
Darn Tough Socks-Uncle Buck-Cushion- #1949- Brown
Darn Tough Socks-Uncle Buck-Cushion- #1949- Charcoal
Darn Tough Socks- Steely Toe-Full Cushion #2006

Last edited:

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a DT sock convert as well, at least for boots. I had a huge collection of Chup socks (which are more $) and while nice, the DT socks hold up better, are more comfortable as less expensive.

wordfool

Reaction score
Another Darn Tough convert here, too! I only buy them on sale (GoBros currently has a 25% off sale) and over the last few years have picked up enough to replace all my cotton socks. I also have some Icebreaker and Smartwool socks, but mostly DT and mostly the hiker light- and medium-cushion variants in either micro crew or 1/4 socks. One reason I prefer DT is that their sizing ranges are better suited to my size feet and they seem to have more lycra than some other brands, which means the socks fit me better overall than Smartwool and Icebreaker -- they really seem to grip my instep well, so zero slippage.

They do seem to have tweaked their wool content recently, which is slightly disappointing. Now it's not uncommon to see some of the lighter-cushion socks with more nylon than wool in the mix. No idea yet how this will impact their comfort and stink resistance, but I'm sure it was done to increase their toughness (and probably to cut costs).

Last edited:

discomute

Reaction score
To any other Aussies - darn tough appears to be a different brand of socks down here. They seem to get called "darn tough Vermont". I'm sure I'll get some eventually, once the disposable income appears again.

miggyramone

Reaction score
I'm a DT fan too but I can't deny Fox River. There combat boot socks protected my feet in countless pairs of combat boots.

biglfat

Reaction score
We can go wrong with Darn Tough. They are for sure one of the best in socks market.I am perfectly satisfied with their quality and comfort. After many wears and washed, they still looks as new. I just got another one from GoBros yesterday.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
I’m a DT sock convert as well, at least for boots. I had a huge collection of Chup socks (which are more $) and while nice, the DT socks hold up better, are more comfortable as less expensive.
I'm the same as you. Although most of the time I wear my chups if I'm going to be wearing any of my business casual boots as I find the chups provide a fun pop of color

paulraphael

Reaction score
They do seem to have tweaked their wool content recently, which is slightly disappointing. Now it's not uncommon to see some of the lighter-cushion socks with more nylon than wool in the mix. No idea yet how this will impact their comfort and stink resistance, but I'm sure it was done to increase their toughness (and probably to cut costs).

I use Bridgedale socks for hiking / climbing / trail running, and find they last several times longer than the Smartwool socks I've tried. The most obvious difference between the two is a higher percentage of nylon in the bridgedales. I've don't find them less comfortable or more smelly. No complaints at all. I believe they vary the blend of wool and synthetic in different parts of the sock (lots of nylon at the heels). DT may be doing something similar.

paulraphael

Reaction score
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on my first pair of Whites, and would love a bit of leather advice. I'm looking at 6" bounty hunters with Vibram 430 soles. These will be used casually around town, lots of walking, including all kinds of weather. I'd like to have a good pair of boots for winter for when I don't need the winter hiking boots I use on heavy snow days (and for hiking or playing in the snow). This means lots of slush and puddles here in NYC.

Brown horsehide looks like an amazing choice, but: 1) it's really expensive, and so seems like maybe a better idea for a 2nd or 3rd pair, after I really know my fit and what details work for me. And 2) I'm looking for a medium brown, and the most recent pics of brown horse look very dark. It seems that leathers only get darker, especially if you treat with serious waterproofing like Obenauf's.

So I'm thinking about distressed smooth. It's a light brown when new, but it seems to darken up with age and treatment. Probably I'd have some control over how dark it gets.

My one hesitation is weight. Would the distressed make a significantly heavier boot vs. horse?

Any other questions I'm not asking? Any other advice regarding these two leathers?

Sledge42

Reaction score
To any other Aussies - darn tough appears to be a different brand of socks down here. They seem to get called "darn tough Vermont". I'm sure I'll get some eventually, once the disposable income appears again.
Darn Tough and Darn Tough Vermont are one in the same. They are proudly Vermont made!

miggyramone

Reaction score
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on my first pair of Whites, and would love a bit of leather advice. I'm looking at 6" bounty hunters with Vibram 430 soles. These will be used casually around town, lots of walking, including all kinds of weather. I'd like to have a good pair of boots for winter for when I don't need the winter hiking boots I use on heavy snow days (and for hiking or playing in the snow). This means lots of slush and puddles here in NYC.

Brown horsehide looks like an amazing choice, but: 1) it's really expensive, and so seems like maybe a better idea for a 2nd or 3rd pair, after I really know my fit and what details work for me. And 2) I'm looking for a medium brown, and the most recent pics of brown horse look very dark. It seems that leathers only get darker, especially if you treat with serious waterproofing like Obenauf's.

So I'm thinking about distressed smooth. It's a light brown when new, but it seems to darken up with age and treatment. Probably I'd have some control over how dark it gets.

My one hesitation is weight. Would the distressed make a significantly heavier boot vs. horse?

Any other questions I'm not asking? Any other advice regarding these two leathers?
Distressed Smooth is definitely thicker but the boots weight won't be very noticeable between both leathers. The Bounty Hunter is a heavy boot in general.

discomute

Reaction score
If you get distressed unlined, the difference is basically nothing.

There is a big gap in White's range when it comes to medium/light brown. Distressed Smooth is about as good as you will do, though I'm not personally a fan of it aesthetically. It also tends to go very dark quickly if you use products like obenauf. That said, I have found just saphir renovataur occasionally on my brown smooth is all I need - they are very watertight.

When I was gathering information on here I also felt as though I would need to add a lot to keep my boots waterproof and able to deal with the elements. Someone set me straight with a line like "Any White's work leather will s*** all over the elements"

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nexalynhaitank