• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mr. burns

Reaction score
Is this mandatory? I had heard this, but never confirmed it... what if I like the standard trim... that would be a bummer!

Yea, maybe it's because when the original sole is removed, that leather at the edge of the standard trim is too frayed to work with.

discomute

Reaction score
Couple of Main Street pics. The french calf models like the black pic are going to come in black sole thread and black stain and brown thread and brown stain for the brown french calf. More formal.

Hey guys, there has been a bit of a hiccup with my order

I am being told that I cannot get black sole thread with my boots. I am trying to get to the bottom of this (give sambam says you can, and given he has posted a picture of a boot with black sole thread) but it has been suggested to me that I could get white and just dye it myself.

Would this work? And do you think a total amateur like me could get a good result?

gte872h

Reaction score

I am being told that I cannot get black sole thread with my boots. I am trying to get to the bottom of this (give sambam says you can, and given he has posted a picture of a boot with black sole thread) but it has been suggested to me that I could get white and just dye it myself.

Would this work? And do you think a total amateur like me could get a good result?

I used some Fiebings leather dye on a pair of Viberg engineers from their sample sale. Viberg had dyed the right boot’s thread black and left the other boot white. I had to use the Fiebings so they would match each other. It was super easy but the boots upper were already black so I didn’t have to worry about messing up the color of the leather.

discomute

Reaction score
Awesome thanks. I should point out that sambam has just told me I can get black thread and he will sort it out. So good news all around.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Doesn't it come off over time though? My cobbler died the white stitching brown on my Nicks and the white is starting to pop out in spots. It lasted about 2 months.

gte872h

Reaction score

NorthCoast

Reaction score

I have had black thread on my semi-dress.

I just called about getting black thread on packers and was told no.
I was also told no on bullhide on packers.

Ahh well, back to the drawing board.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bounty Hunters (9.5EE) and Wesco Hendrik Boots (10D). 81FE3C8D-DD82-479A-9316-5A177C086A8B.jpeg

NorthCoast

Reaction score
That's weird. I could swear the internet is full of bullhide Packers, and IMO the leather fits this style of boot very well.
FWIW, Drews is offering bullhide packers by White's, so it's not impossible (maybe only made for specific sellers/channels?).

Yeah, I was shooting for an 8" with Black Bullhide on the vamp and the heel with the shaft being dress leather.

I see Drews has the base 8" #690 on sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads