• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cucinelli Keeps Looking Forward

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he still into the CM? Haven’t really been following since what happened with the Hermes wallet
Foo is on like his 4th new iteration of the hobby. He’s still on here. He went full CM, then did his one shirt/one shoe phase, then all in on SLP, now he’s doing western wear I think.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do they buy?
Whatever their SA recommends that day… in order to “build a good relationship” of course. All in hopes of eventually being “invited” to buy a birkin. They sell all sorts of random stuff - Some is good. Some is trash.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Same as Rolex. Develop a track record, then get to pay retail for your Submariner.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something natural, that last a lifetime and maybe leave it for generation behind you with proper care...that price is too cheap compared to the same judgement to the classical watches that are 10times or more

Even a $1,000,000 cashmere sweater will only last 5-10 years with regular use.
It's called pilling, even after you sew on elbow patches

said he’s able to differentiate whether a buttonhole is handmade or not just by touch, and that these sort of buttonholes help him button faster (dubious to me).

Autism is real.
And it's rampant here

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever their SA recommends that day… in order to “build a good relationship” of course. All in hopes of eventually being “invited” to buy a birkin. They sell all sorts of random stuff - Some is good. Some is trash.

Ah OK.

Sounds like a bit of a sad treadmill to get on, just in the hope of crumbs from the master's table (if they spend enough, no doubt they'll eventually end up being offered one in a less desirable colour/leather than those in the *really* select club have already picked over and rejected.

Somehow I imagine the likes of the super-famous and oligarch family members aren't obligated to play such games.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the same could be said for a $6,000 cashmere jumper (and would be, by 99%+ of people) - they are after all targeting the very same market.

But, I guess our particular idiocy and obscenity here is far more sophisticated and discerning - there is after all surely little profit margin to that $6,000 jumper. I'm sure it must be so in order for the time involved for BC himself to cry on the garments and have them marinate in his tears before they can be dispatched are dispatched, and that is a time intensive process.

I do think a sweater for 6k is absurd, but it's not 2000 for a water bottle absurd.

rwtc

Reaction score

Pretty much - just checked purseblog and now the going minimum spend is 10-20K USD

rwtc

Reaction score
Even a $1,000,000 cashmere sweater will only last 5-10 years with regular use.
It's called pilling, even after you sew on elbow patches

Autism is real.
And it's rampant here

Agreed - I remember your posts about shoes a few years ago and 100% share your sentiment

Last edited:

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do think a sweater for 6k is absurd, but it's not 2000 for a water bottle absurd.

It's all a matter of perspective, which would you rather be left with while stranded in a scorching desert ;)

But I'm seriously bro, the highly uncomfortable reality to face is that pretty much all of us here on SF and the like have the germ of the same condition, and are at least somewhere on that unseemly spectrum. The limiting factor is merely our means.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all a matter of perspective, which would you rather be left with while stranded in a scorching desert ;)

But I'm seriously bro, the highly uncomfortable reality to face is that pretty much all of us here on SF and the like have the germ of the same condition, and are at least somewhere on that unseemly spectrum. The limiting factor is merely our means.

I think there is a real difference between paying a few thousand on a great suit, bespoke shoes, etc, and buying 2500 dollar water bottles.

This is also why I'm not entirely against some who buys these sweaters. There is quality there.

Meanwhile....not so muc so on bottles.

Enrico Mandelli

Reaction score
I used to say you have to give him credit to be able to find enough stupid people that he can convince to buy his massively overpriced stuff.
But seeing the recent crazy price increases and the 2000 $ water bottle someone mentioned before he can only hope that enough unsupervised rich dad sons are part of his clientel because most self made wealthy people started out poor and therefore know what something is worth.
As soon as they figure out that Cucinelli is trying to fool them by offering products that are purposely designed to ripp them off they won't ever buy from him again and he will have lost those customers. That water bottle is just one example.
And regarding his recent astronomical price increases even though Cucinelli already was massively overpriced before will only cause him to lose another substantial part of his customer base which is the upper middle class who now either can't or are unwilling to buy from him anymore because they figure out that there is no justification for those price increases. Some products even doubled in price within a year.
He might very well go out of business within the next 5 years.

If I look at some of his products and see a 100% polyester jacket for several thousands I actually feel offended that Cucinelly really believes he could fool me into buying it.

Last edited:

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there is a real difference between paying a few thousand on a great suit, bespoke shoes, etc, and buying 2500 dollar water bottles.

This is also why I'm not entirely against some who buys these sweaters. There is quality there.

Meanwhile....not so muc so on bottles.

Sure, to you - it's all entirely subjective. Because it's all just... luxury.

With the exception of someone who has a medical need for bespoke footwear due to some sort of pathophysiology (which is not luxury - but necessity) - there is no objective improvement in quality of life with everything else.

rwtc

Reaction score
There is no justification for the recent astronomical price increases.

Therefore a substantial part of his clientel, the upper middle class, can't afford or justify to buy Cucinelli anymore and therefore he loses a big part of his customers.

If I look at some of his products and see a 100% polyester jacket for several thousands

Really… no reason at all? Inflation is going nuts these days and at least they pay their employees well

Cucinelli’s target market at the retail level is not toward the upper middle class.

Kiton and LP has about the same price point for nylon garments with BC. Kiton is a bit even more expensive I believe. That’s not to say whether if it’s a good buy.

Last edited:

RapFan

Reaction score
1.5 breasted coat is Anti- Neopolitan. I've seen Luca Rubinacci scoff at the thought of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads