• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crusty's "What I wore on this Date in History" - a walk down memory lane . . .

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. In reviewing what photos I have in electronic form from pre-2010, there are a number of pictures of me, bedecked in whatever I thought stylish at the time (sometimes cringe-worthy, but there it is). Were I to be insane enough to present this material, should I go backwards from 2010, or forwards from whatever the earliest dated material? Am I Benjamin Button, or do I respect the unilateral march of time?

Warning - there is a significantly larger amount of me in these photos (I am fat in many of them), and they all have facial hair.

Would this be an inspirational exercise ("oh, if he can learn how to dress well, then so can I"), an exercise in idle curiosity ("I wonder what Crusty looked like younger?"), or an exercise in Schadenfreude ("Oh, God, do you believe what Crusty used to look like - glad that I never looked like that")? Enquiring minds, and all of that . . .

I would like to see them - oldest to newest.

It's inspirational, for both myself and for you.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, then, Crusty through the Ages. Note that I've spoilered everything, so those of you viewing from a mobile device don't end up with a crushingly large bill for data downloads.

2001 - London, then New York:

2002 - London:

2003 - London:

2005 London:

2006 - Buenos Aires:

2007 Paris:

2008: New York, then London:

2009 - Boston, then London:

2010 - Washington, then San Francisco:

2011 - Venice, then Boston, then Barcelona:

2012 - Philadelphia:

2013 - Paris:

2014 - Marrakech, then Istanbul, then London:

2015 - Vienna, then Toronto:

2016 - Lisbon, then London:

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just caught up with this thread, Crusty.  Great stuff!

What is the weight-loss secret?

Thank you, Mr. Knightley. The weight loss secret? Lots of regular aerobic exercise, coupled with being married to someone who insists on major portion control when eating at home (even though the spouse in question is, if anything, more addicted to sweets than am I).

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
upr_crust,
Long time between visits for me and I am saddened to read of your injury.
Fabulous posts. May you heal quickly. I miss your Crusty Crouch. :cheers:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

upr_crust,
Long time between visits for me and I am saddened to read of your injury.
Fabulous posts. May you heal quickly. I miss your Crusty Crouch. :cheers:

Thank you for your concern. Rest assured I am well on the way to being healed, and the Crusty Crouch may re-appear on Thursday, as I am invited (and, Uber willing, will attend) the book launch party for "We Are Dandy", the second of Nathaniel Adams' and Rose Callahan's chronicles of the chronically well-dressed. (My husband and I were interviewed and photographed for the book, but alas, were left on the cutting room floor, or its book editing equivalent - the editor's choice, not necessarily the author's or the photographer's.) As a subject spurned, I need to pull out all the sartorial stops to inform the editor of his (or her) error - we shall see what I cook up for an outfit.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your concern. Rest assured I am well on the way to being healed, and the Crusty Crouch may re-appear on Thursday, as I am invited (and, Uber willing, will attend) the book launch party for "We Are Dandy", the second of Nathaniel Adams' and Rose Callahan's chronicles of the chronically well-dressed. (My husband and I were interviewed and photographed for the book, but alas, were left on the cutting room floor, or its book editing equivalent - the editor's choice, not necessarily the author's or the photographer's.) As a subject spurned, I need to pull out all the sartorial stops to inform the editor of his (or her) error - we shall see what I cook up for an outfit.
Sorry to learn of this misguided decision, upr_.

Oddly enough, it is only by very good fortune that I am not in hospital this morning. I had a nasty fall last night on a tiled floor at home, landing flat on my back and both elbows. Thank God I have got away with some grazes and bruising...

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to learn of this misguided decision, upr_.

Oddly enough, it is only by very good fortune that I am not in hospital this morning.  I had a nasty fall last night on a tiled floor at home, landing flat on my back and both elbows.  Thank God I have got away with some grazes and bruising...

Sorry to hear of your fall, but glad that it was not more serious. I can testify to the fact that it is a bore to be an invalid, and that's if you're lucky - it can be much worse, of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics