• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique This Watch

hobscrk777

Reaction score
I've been wearing the same Fossil watch with a stainless steel bracelet for almost 10 years. For a number of reasons, I want to get a new one. I've been thinking about springing for a nice dress watch like the Seiko SARB031, but I don't think I'd wear it enough to justify the price. It seems like such a watch would look out of place for daily wear. What I'm really looking for is a white-faced watch that I can throw on a grosgrain strap. After a few weeks of looking, I think I found one at a good price point.

opplanet-wenger-tg-mens-and-ladies-stainless-steel-watches.jpg
Amazon is selling it for $100. I'm a total watch n00b, so I'd appreciate it if some of the more experienced members could offer their perspectives here.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks OK to me. Keep in mind white hands on a white dial tend to disappear in low light. I'd prefer black hands on a white dial or vice versa.

Twotone'

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You never need excuses to buy another watch.
eh.gif

I like the look of this watch but agree with the dark hands to make it more universal. There are a lot of watches in this price range so I would not get hung up on one without looking around.

JN41

Reaction score
Based on your criteria I would suggest the SARB035, which I have. It looks great and can be dressed up (with a leather strap) or down (with the stock bracelet) -- perfectly suited to both office and weekend wear.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Why?

Hamilton happens to make a very high quality watch at a very reasonable price. Swiss Army (Wenger or Victorinox) just doesn't do the same job for the money. Hamilton is also an American classic and has real staying power. Also more understated without the red cross logo on it.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Hamilton happens to make a very high quality watch at a very reasonable price. Swiss Army (Wenger or Victorinox) just doesn't do the same job for the money. Hamilton is also an American classic and has real staying power. Also more understated without the red cross logo on it.

From my understanding Hamilton watches are made by the swatch group and really only exists as a seperate company in name alone. It wouldn't really surprise me to learn that the Wegner watch was made from the same company.

Unless the OP likes the hamilton better because of the style, I'd say save your money and get the wegner if you like the look of it.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
Looks OK to me. Keep in mind white hands on a white dial tend to disappear in low light. I'd prefer black hands on a white dial or vice versa.

Twotone'

Don't the luminous hands get past this?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In total darkness, yes. It's low light that makes reading the time difficult. I had TAG with gold hands and gold-tone dial that was impossible to read in low light. Glowed OK in total darkness though.

Twotone

Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Don't the luminous hands get past this?

InsBrokerTX

Reaction score
I have this watch. It is one of my favorites and gets comments regularly. Pretty good for a cheap daily beater watch.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads