• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique This Watch

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm now having second thoughts about it. I tend to obsess over potential purchases before making (or not making) them. I spent a few hours today looking at all kinds of watches online, and I think I may have arrived at a satisfying conclusion. I may ask for a Seiko Spirit or SARB031 when I graduate in December. In the meantime, I might buy myself something like this to tide me over. I may get a similar Invicta or Casio instead of the Orient, though.
P4106845.jpg

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
From my understanding Hamilton watches are made by the swatch group and really only exists as a seperate company in name alone. It wouldn't really surprise me to learn that the Wegner watch was made from the same company.

Unless the OP likes the hamilton better because of the style, I'd say save your money and get the wegner if you like the look of it.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Swatch produces some of the most prestigious names in watchmaking, including Breguet, Blancpain and Glashutte Original. They also own ETA, the largest manufacturer of high-end movements. Guarantee you Wenger is produced by a much lower level producer, with the vast majority of production well outside Switzerland.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
You say that like it's a bad thing. Swatch produces some of the most prestigious names in watchmaking, including Breguet, Blancpain and Glashutte Original. They also own ETA, the largest manufacturer of high-end movements. Guarantee you Wenger is produced by a much lower level producer, with the vast majority of production well outside Switzerland.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing and I in fact own a watch that has an ETA movement. However, they are both quartz watches, stainless steel, and have a mineral crystal. Given those characteristics and at these prices, the OP is much better off going with the cheaper watch, as any quality differences will be minimal, if one even exists (which I doubt it does).

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing and I in fact own a watch that has an ETA movement. However, they are both quartz watches, stainless steel, and have a mineral crystal. Given those characteristics and at these prices, the OP is much better off going with the cheaper watch, as any quality differences will be minimal, if one even exists (which I doubt it does).
Well, for starters, I'd never advocate going quartz. Not my style. However, having handled both above-mentioned brands, I think Hamilton just feels higher quality and more substantial. And while most companies within Swatch are run as separate entities, I'd still rather buy from the lower end of one of the world's most prestigious watch conglomerates than something that's probably produced by a group not known for their watches (within the "Swiss Army" branded products, Victorinox makes significantly, significantly nicer looking/feeling watches) on the cheap in Vietnam or wherever. Then again, I'm a huge watch snob.

incastoutcast

Reaction score
I'll heartily recommend the Orient Mako (as seen above) - I've been hunting around for a watch, and will buy the blue one soon. It's got great reviews everywhere, it's nice and solid, classic looking watch with a beautiful numbering style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads