• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cravat (Ascot) Advice

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For better or worse ascots, like bow ties, just seem to work better on older gents. There is something about grey hair that lends seriousness to playful neckwear and takes it out of the costume realm.

Having said that, as a "senior member" of Styleforum in every sense, I would hesitate to sport an ascot anywhere on dry land, the exception being Sunday brunch and even then only at the yacht club.
Perhaps you might hesitate, but I wear a cravat about once a week, on average. I find them useful and, sure, stylish.

Duly Noted

Reaction score
Perhaps you might hesitate, but I wear a cravat about once a week, on average. I find them useful and, sure, stylish.
I will join you in the cravat club upon the arrival in the mail of said cravats from Italy, though whether I will emulate your stylish appearance remains to be seen. Monday I was on a smoke break checking my cravat delivery on my phone and pondering why nobody at work ever wears one when right then, a guy wearing one came out for a smoke break! I'm with the UN, it has a flexible dress code and it's staffed by 5,000 people from every corner of the globe, some of whom wear national and native clothing, yet in 15 years, he's the only UN staffer I've ever seen wearing a cravat!

Last edited:

Duly Noted

Reaction score
For better or worse ascots, like bow ties, just seem to work better on older gents. There is something about grey hair that lends seriousness to playful neckwear and takes it out of the costume realm.

Having said that, as a "senior member" of Styleforum in every sense, I would hesitate to sport an ascot anywhere on dry land, the exception being Sunday brunch and even then only at the yacht club.
Playfulness and whimsy are what I'm after. I'm a bald shaver, so the grey hair effect will not be in effect, obviously...

Duly Noted

Reaction score
Update: I've gone cravat-crazy! They're so versatile, they can dress up a look, or dress down a look. I wear them with pretty much anything I want. Bought ten vintage silk Italian ones. Surprisingly, I get no sense that they're incongruous in the office, actually people comment as if they're a step-up from office wear. Several colleagues have told me they're going to buy some. You guys have any pics of yours?

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep predicting that, with the aging of the population, cravats will come back as a way to mask an aging neck without having to grow a beard. So far I've been wrong, so I guess the "Judge Smails Effect" is still strong.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep predicting that, with the aging of the population, cravats will come back as a way to mask an aging neck without having to grow a beard. So far I've been wrong, so I guess the "Judge Smails Effect" is still strong.
I don't think a cravat can do that. Neither can a beard.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep predicting that, with the aging of the population, cravats will come back as a way to mask an aging neck without having to grow a beard.
It hasn't happened yet.

Nor has the turtleneck seen a huge surge in popularity among our society's elderly.

Nor, for that matter, has the wearing of hats become near ubiquitous among adult men (as it was back in the mid-20th century), despite the link between aging and male pattern baldness.

Ultimately, the cravat might come back into fashion once a few pop celebrities wear them to some awards shows. Non-ironically. But the same could be said for nearly any item from walking sticks to powdered wigs, besagues to ear trumpets.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for ascots being an "old man's garment," I wore them as a young man 45 years ago, and I wear them today as an old man. In fact, I shall be wearing one to a party in couple of hours...and not as Halloween costume. I also wore one to a dinner party Saturday night. I just think they are nice way station between the formality of the necktie and the inherent slovenliness of the open necked shirt. They also serve to keep my neck and upper chest warmer in cool weather.

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
View attachment 857086
Generally speaking, can one appear at the office wearing this, in lieu of a tie, and not raise eyebrows?

I used to wear ascots all the time. They definitely attract attention, but I think the key is constructing a life where you can pull off ill **** because it's expected of you. I'm an artist, which certainly helped a lot. If fitting in at the office is a concern for you, this is probably not your thing, but that's not to say you can't rock one on your own time. You need to have the right kind of life with the right kind of friends, though, otherwise you're just going to feel awkward all the time while everyone makes fun of your ascot, or worse, avoids you.

On the more practical side, do NOT wear one perfectly arranged, flowing down your chest, as pictured above. Also, do not poof the thing up like a neck soufflé, to hide your wattles or for any other reason. It should be peeking out unobtrusively over your first button, which should be the only button undone. Just as you don't want your pocket square overly fussed, you should do everything possible to make it look like an afterthought. Think of it as a small scarf that tucks in, rather than a type of tie.

Ascots, despite their modern top-hat-and-spats associations, are NOT formal. They are semi-casual weekend wear, which is another reason they look weird at the office (Thurston Howell III had one on during his 3-hour tour because he was on vacation). And it's a further reason why the quoted photo looks bad; the dude pictured looks way too crisp and formal overall. While in the UK, I would see old guys wearing them every so often, but only at nicer pubs, weekend cocktail parties, country clubs, and the like.

Rumpled OCBDs and other less formal shirts work well, as do polo sweaters. I would aim for a chunky shawl-collar cardigan, OCBD, and cords, all in a muted palette. Sport coats? Think tweeds, corduroy, 3-patch, swelled edge, anything that dresses it down. Do not wear a square, lapel pin, lapel chain, flower, fedora, etc. etc. One statement is plenty. Do not wear it with a suit. It was not the done thing back in the day, and it certainly doesn't work now. (Maybe a corduroy or tweed suit might work, but let's work up to that.)

It's too bad they're considered antiquated in the US, because they fill a nice semi-casual space in a world where ties are increasingly considered highly formal, but that's the way it is. If you enjoy challenges, by all means try it now and then, but be aware of the difficulties.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ascots, and button boots are OK with me. At the end of the day you wear what works for you, and what you're comfortable with. I own a few day cravats, and will not hesitate to rock them in a social setting. It seems to make people uncomfortable, I like that... LOL! I have my eye on some button boots from J. Fitzpatrick as well... Dress it up or down, do what you want to do. Enjoy your style!

SGTROCK

Reaction score
I started wearing for casual with polo shirts and doesn't seem to get much attention. Actually the cravat is subtle, something elegant but people can't quite put their finger on it.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started wearing for casual with polo shirts and doesn't seem to get much attention. Actually the cravat is subtle, something elegant but people can't quite put their finger on it.
Huh. Never thought of wearing one with a polo shirt. That's quite a good idea!

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think a cravat can do that. Neither can a beard.

A beard can; a cravat can distract attention, but not completely obscure an aging neck.

It hasn't happened yet.

Nor has the turtleneck seen a huge surge in popularity among our society's elderly.

Nor, for that matter, has the wearing of hats become near ubiquitous among adult men (as it was back in the mid-20th century), despite the link between aging and male pattern baldness.

Ultimately, the cravat might come back into fashion once a few pop celebrities wear them to some awards shows. Non-ironically. But the same could be said for nearly any item from walking sticks to powdered wigs, besagues to ear trumpets.

Pretty sure turtlenecks have maintained popularity, and hats certainly have for bald guys. As for the rest, I doubt the most popular pop star could make powdered wigs, beasgues etc popular.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads