• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

Rusty1960

Reaction score
Was fitted this summer for a pair of boots while in Texas. Delivery is expected by the end of the year. They spend a lot of time measuring and having me try on a number of boots to confirm sizing. Given that they have my last, is it poor taste to share designs from other makers or Tyler Beard’s books? Ostrich leg has caught my eye. I don’t have the time to travel to the other makers. Thanks for your input.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was fitted this summer for a pair of boots while in Texas. Delivery is expected by the end of the year. They spend a lot of time measuring and having me try on a number of boots to confirm sizing. Given that they have my last, is it poor taste to share designs from other makers or Tyler Beard’s books? Ostrich leg has caught my eye. I don’t have the time to travel to the other makers. Thanks for your input.

I would think "inspired by" will be very different from "carbon copied" if you catch my drift. Personally I wouldn't have a maker produce an exact copy of a boot designed by another maker, but if I wanted him to pull together inspiration from various elements, I personally wouldn't think that'd be frowned upon. Assume a good maker probably would decline to make a perfect copy anyway.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hairy boys check

20221018_122200.jpg

20221018_122138.jpg

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think "inspired by" will be very different from "carbon copied" if you catch my drift. Personally I wouldn't have a maker produce an exact copy of a boot designed by another maker, but if I wanted him to pull together inspiration from various elements, I personally wouldn't think that'd be frowned upon. Assume a good maker probably would decline to make a perfect copy anyway.
This^^

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For one thing, although it may not be immediately evident to the 'untutored' eye, every maker develops his own style... almost unconsciously. I can near-as-nevermind recognize the work of a particular maker of a boot (although I never set out to) just by looking at the way the tops sit on the last or the way the quarters and counters come together. The shape of the heel, the way the boot is treed or the finish on the outsole. I have my own look as well.

For another thing, it is rare to see a stitch pattern or a combination of inlay and/or overlay that is unique. As much as we might try to create original patterns (and I was almost obsessive in that regard), they are always derivative of something we've seen or of something in Nature.

And most of these 'patterns' have been around for ages...enough time to enter the 'public domain,' if nothing else.

Who came up with the Adelaide? Or broguing or the toe medallion? Are they protected? Is it unethical to make an Adelaide without contacting the original designer? (Seance, maybe?)

Ostrich leg has been around for as long as ostrich leather. No maker has an exclusive right to it nor even the right to use it in a particular way.

Beyond all that, no maker worth his salt would directly copy another maker's designs. Not even with permission. I was 'given' a number of patterns and design ideas from my mentor (long gone now)...expressly. I changed nearly every single one of them. I wanted what I was offering/doing to be mine and to 'own' it. I suspect every maker has that impulse to one degree or another.

So don't overthink it.... xD

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For one thing, although it may not be immediately evident to the 'untutored' eye, every maker develops his own style... almost unconsciously. I can near-as-nevermind recognize the work of a particular maker of a boot (although I never set out to) just by looking at the way the tops sit on the last or the way the quarters and counters come together. The shape of the heel, the way the boot is treed or the finish on the outsole. I have my own look as well.

For another thing, it is rare to see a stitch pattern or a combination of inlay and/or overlay that is unique. As much as we might try to create original patterns (and I was almost obsessive in that regard), they are always derivative of something we've seen or of something in Nature.

And most of these 'patterns' have been around for ages...enough time to enter the 'public domain,' if nothing else.

Who came up with the Adelaide? Or broguing or the toe medallion? Are they protected? Is it unethical to make an Adelaide without contacting the original designer? (Seance, maybe?)

Ostrich leg has been around for as long as ostrich leather. No maker has an exclusive right to it nor even the right to use it in a particular way.

Beyond all that, no maker worth his salt would directly copy another maker's designs. Not even with permission. I was 'given' a number of patterns and design ideas from my mentor (long gone now)...expressly. I changed nearly every single one of them. I wanted what I was offering/doing to be mine and to 'own' it. I suspect every maker has that impulse to one degree or another.

Do you have examples of any cactus-themed inlays you've done?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you have examples of any cactus-themed inlays you've done?

Never was asked to do a cactus inlay. Will roses do?

Here are a few photos of some of my work. Beginning with post #315, 21Aug 2012 and continuing on the next page:

And: http://www.bootmaker.com/styles.htm (click thumbs for larger view)

Also my Instagram page (in my signature) although Instagram seems to be down at the moment.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never was asked to do a cactus inlay. Will roses do?

Here are a few photos of some of my work. Beginning with post #315, 21Aug 2012 and continuing on the next page:

And: http://www.bootmaker.com/styles.htm (click thumbs for larger view)
Really good stuff. I keep thinking next year I will get a pair made with the inlay I want. Now I need to not make other purchases first.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The black pair with the head dress...

Also, what are your thoughts on incorporating university imagery?

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as there are no copyright issues...although these days no one seems to care enough about such things to make it a problem.

Something that needs to be said...just for clarity...I'm no longer taking orders or actively making boots for anyone outside of family. So my thoughts on cactii and university logos are pretty much beside the point.

Last edited:

Rusty1960

Reaction score

DW, Thanks for the reply. A few years ago I came across a Oxford design from a bespoke maker in Europe. He only does bespoke. I reached out to see if he ever visited the United State or was there anyway to do it remotely. Received a very nice reply that he only does in person fittings and there would be three fittings. i understand his reasons and accept it. Send a picture of the shoes to another high end maker I have bought from before. He recognized the maker immediately and said he cou

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DW, Thanks for the reply. A few years ago I came across a Oxford design from a bespoke maker in Europe. He only does bespoke. I reached out to see if he ever visited the United State or was there anyway to do it remotely. Received a very nice reply that he only does in person fittings and there would be three fittings. i understand his reasons and accept it. Send a picture of the shoes to another high end maker I have bought from before. He recognized the maker immediately and said he cou
I think this poaster died while typing.

Rip in piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads