• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots + hats

Al_in_Arabia

Reaction score
Ok, the topic's come up before, but here goes.

I'm off to Texas in a few weeks; first time. Now, last time I was in the states, it was Colorado, and found the coolest Western outfitters. I realised, though, that I'd have to actually live there to get away with anything they sold. Still, Texas ... gotta buy something. Gulp. Cowboy boots?

Ach, sod it, they'll get some wear out in the desert, that's for sure. Anyone recommend a "working" brand as opposed to shoddy "fashion" brands? And I want Ostrich. Does this get me banned?

Oh, I'll be picking up a hat, too. Obviously, a full Jr Ewing is going to look stupid, but if anyone could point to a style that I might get away with a casual suit, I'm all ears! Hat in this pic was good for a wedding, but isn't great quality (wire brim? Arrgh)

lordofpi

Reaction score
I can't speak on boots, though maybe if I were there I would do as the Romans, er, Texans do. In New Jersey, unless you are a construction worker, boots are really out of place. As far as hats, a nice Panama ought to be good for any kind of warm weather. I've never been to Texas, save to connect through DFW, but wearing boots and a cowboy hat just seems like it might make you look as if you walked off the set of Gunsmoke. Perhaps people from that area can shed more light.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in Houston, TX for 2 years. I bought a pair of ostrich boots and still enjoy them. I bought Nocona, but there are other reputable brands like Tony Lama, etc. Many will recommend Luchesse. They're very nice, but pretty expensive. Ostrich is a premium leather and any boot made with it is going to be pretty good quality. Consider cowboy boots like dress shoes when picking the color; darker browns are going to get the most wear.

gokartmozart

Reaction score
Right off the top of my head, I would think Dan Post and Tony Llama. Im assuming you will go to a store with various brands, so keep these two in mind.

There are custom boot makers on every corner it seems in Austin, though.

Best o'luck and welcome to Texas, amigo!
smile.gif

fracmeister

Reaction score
There is no place where tasteful cowboy boots and hats are inappropriate except swimming pools and operating rooms (and there are exceptions to those rules as well).

You can spend any amount of dough on a good hat. Don't get carried away with decorative elements and star with a good quality felt hat. Skip anything less than 100$ since you are a styling guy after all. The Cinch brand and comparable are fine. Many fine "western" stores in town. Tell them it is your first hat and boots...no need to be embarrassed! Everybody is welcome here! (Cept certain Yankees and revenooers). ASK about the different creases available. No use getting a bullrider's crease if you don't know what it is. Buy a decent felt brush to keep that hat clean. Never sit it down in a chair. Take it off (or at least give it a tip) when ladies enter the room. Take it off during prayers and the national anthem. Don;t fiddle with it.

As to ostrich boots. No problem. Just stay away from "powder blue" unless you are a Bum Phillips fan and wish to be viewed a tad differently by Texas natives. Nothing wrong with ostrich but you'll be dropping 400$ and up for a decent pair.

Ignore all that styleforum crap about not wearing black jeans. If you go black on the hat and boots think about black wranglers and a nice colorful Wrangler shirt....you'll need a belt and belt buckle....

Similarly you can wear that fine dark suit of yours and save some money on a seven fold Talbott tie by dropping a bolo type tie with a tasteful bit of turquoise in silver around your neck.

Of course cowboy boots and a a hat go with dang near anything. But you will have to have a whole lot of self confidence to wear them with shorts.

Enter the room with a confident smile and eye contact and you'll be able to pull off the "new to Texas but not my first rodeo" look.

Make sure and go to a UT or Texas A&M football game. Wear the right colored shirt. Don't moan about how hot or humid it is.

Talk to "strangers" ---they aren't strangers here.

Morgan

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on Bounty Hunter hats? I received one years ago as a gift and love it but am just curious as to whether it's a classic, as far as these things go. I understand it's 100% beaver felt, which is pretty nice. I'm just wondering if the brand has a reputation for good construction or what.

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score
I second the ostrich boot. I have a pair of Justin's dark brown ostrich (ran me about $250) and they are great. My older pair of Red Wings don't really get much use anymore since I got them. They look great with jeans and olive or cream khaki. After living in TX for a while, you notice that it just becomes a way of life. I never got a hat other than a $60 one at the Rodeo one year. I would think boots would be much more versatile than a hat if you need to spend the money somewhere..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads