• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Courtroom Dressing Disaster

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ACDoyle
Sometimes attorneys dress a particular way to justify the high legal fees to the clients, I was sitting in on a Russian/Albanian Mob case, the attorneys looked like they were straight out of Goodfellas, gold chains, hair slicked back, shiny suits, pointed collars. They did put on a good show, yelling out objection when there was none to be made asking leading questions- the judge had to warn them a few times, but the clients seem to like it. The defendants lost by the way
Well if you know you're going down, might as well have fun doing it.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
yeah, thats my dad. He has been a criminal defense atty for the last 3004 years, but dresses like a schulb. Its possible that I saw him going to court in a pair of black jeans and a sport coat. Its also possible that he is color blind, or just has **** choice in colors. And further it chaps ****** becuase if I was built like him (thanks mom) - 5.9" 150lbs 40-42r, I would love to have that frame to work off of.

but I digress, he is also one of the most sucessfull lawyers in the county so whatever works I guess!

Ah, the "Rumpole Look" ... seems to work for some criminal-defence lawyers.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
Denny Crane

I like some of the outfit's Denny's worn in the past. I'm pretty sure I've seen him with pocket squares as well.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I have heard of incidents in the Court of Appeal here where one of the judges refused even to HEAR an appellant because she didn't meet standards of dress prescribed in the rules of court. All I can say is, kudos! Or not, because our court system is bogged down enough without people staging clothing-related protests, but come on, at the very least it's incumbent upon the judge to make fun of the individual.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
I have heard of incidents in the Court of Appeal here where one of the judges refused even to HEAR an appellant because she didn't meet standards of dress prescribed in the rules of court. All I can say is, kudos! Or not, because our court system is bogged down enough without people staging clothing-related protests, but come on, at the very least it's incumbent upon the judge to make fun of the individual.

Was the appellant without representation? Because a litigator at the Court of Appeal would have been gowned AFAIK.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Shockingly, the incidents actually had to do with footwear. And one particular judge.

Yes, I think I know who you're talking about. In my 1st year moot, first counsel for the appellant started with "Good Evening", at which point our guest judge chimed in, strongly suggesting that she never presume to be so informal at the Court of Appeal...

Monkey

Reaction score
I heard it was Madam Justice Southin of the BC Court of Appeal. Counsel was wearing brown shoes and she wouldn't acknowledge him in court until he changed his shoes.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I seriously, seriously doubt that your first year moot's guest judge was sitting on the BCCA! Are you absolutely certain? That comment actually seems like exactly the sort of thing a lot of the judges, who feel it is their responsibility to nitpick students on procedure, and are in some measure correct, would say. Just another reason I'm baffled at how little procedure is taught to first year law students around here. I happily signed up for two courses on the subject for this coming fall.

I heard it was Madam Justice Southin of the BC Court of Appeal. Counsel was wearing brown shoes and she wouldn't acknowledge him in court until he changed his shoes.
I believe you're correct. I heard it had happened twice, though; once to a woman as well. Also I was told it wasn't just the colour of the shoes but also their style.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I seriously, seriously doubt that your first year moot's guest judge was sitting on the BCCA! Are you absolutely certain?

I never said they sat on the BCCA. It was a Crown prosecutor who made the comment, and I don't doubt that it was good advice from someone who's probably spent more time in court than most.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Sorry, from the way you followed one sentence with the other I thought you meant that the guest judge in question was the individual you thought I was talking about. And it was absolutely good advice, though I'm hardly sure what the correct opening would have been. Perhaps "My Lords...", depending on what level of court you're simulating.

Motol12

Reaction score
The idea that a clothing related protests from a judge are a good thing for our justice system is absurd. I've never appeared in front of her (thank God) but some of my co-workers always cringe about a particular judge who consistantly denigrates the attorney's who come before her on clothing related grounds. For example, one of the African-American attorneys that I work with went before her in a strongly-padded suit, while wearing a contrast collar shirt. Her comment to him, in front of the entire courtroom was "The 80s called, and they want their look back superfly." In another memorable story (which may be apocryful) she commented to a female public defender whose blouse was low-cut "I'm sorry, was it a late night on the pole yesterday? Because that is the only reason I can see for a lawyer to come in dressed like this." This was in front of the prosecution and the woman's client. This bizzare behavior is unwarranted, whether or not it has anything to do with clothes.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Motol12
The idea that a clothing related protests from a judge are a good thing for our justice system is absurd. I've never appeared in front of her (thank God) but some of my co-workers always cringe about a particular judge who consistantly denigrates the attorney's who come before her on clothing related grounds. For example, one of the African-American attorneys that I work with went before her in a strongly-padded suit, while wearing a contrast collar shirt. Her comment to him, in front of the entire courtroom was "The 80s called, and they want their look back superfly." In another memorable story (which may be apocryful) she commented to a female public defender whose blouse was low-cut "I'm sorry, was it a late night on the pole yesterday? Because that is the only reason I can see for a lawyer to come in dressed like this." This was in front of the prosecution and the woman's client. This bizzare behavior is unwarranted, whether or not it has anything to do with clothes.

That's far less bizarre than you'd think!

Are these jury trials? The judge is just articulating what everyone else is thinking!
bounce2.gif

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
I like some of the outfit's Denny's worn in the past. I'm pretty sure I've seen him with pocket squares as well.

I don't think I've ever seen him without one. They're normally arranged with a tremendous flourish and coordinate a little too closely with his shirts. Orange and yellow get a lot of play.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads