• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotto vs Margarito...wow!

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anybody catch this fight? one of the best fights ive seen in a long, long time! those are two warriors with heart! i was also watching the Elite XC and was wondering how "pros" get tired with in 3 minutes of a pro fight? imagine if in a title boxing match both fighters got tired with in the first 3 rounds? its ridiculous! i dont want to rip on some of the fighters that night, but it was kind of pathetic. either way, the boxing match was amazing!

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotto came close to dying last night. Great fight!

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it was ridiculous! cotto was landing more solid shots all night, but margarito was walking right through them. he was just taller and his head snapping back made them look good, but they really had no effect, while margarito's didnt look good, but just wore him down so bad. it was really amazing to see. i called margarito to win this, and after the first few rounds knew cotto couldnt keep up the running, its just too tiring. ive been in both situations in the ring, being the runner, and doing the chasing, and running is waaaaaaay harder then chasing. not to mention margarito is known to never stop coming forward. amazing!

bob_gnarly

Reaction score
i just got to read about it, i live in some hickass town and have there hickass digital setup and i found out last night they dont allow the "press to purchase" i had to call in to order the fight. and no one was there when i called
eh.gif
. but i was goin for cotto, if he won that fight there def. coulda been enough fan support to call mayweather out of "retirement"

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i did want to see cotto-mayweather, but i think margarito would beat mayweather now. mayweather already turned down 8 million to fight him. noone wants to fight him, because of what you just saw! i dont know who he will fight now, i think oscar de la hoya, another puertovs mexican, but i think he will just destroy de la hoya. so i really dont know who will take him on, unless mayweather comes back.

dsholmes1

Reaction score
LOL. Now Margarito is going to beat Floyd. Thats laughable.

Cotto demonstrated how you can take Margarito down. He was dipping punches early in the fight. Cotto's counterpunching was working but the relentlessness of AM (Antonio Margarito) just took too much out of him. Cotto did not have the stamina to finish the fight. He should have kept the action in the center of the ring, worked the double jab. Cotto was trying to be Floyd and it failed him Saturday night. He was not smart enough to clinch in order to neutralize AM's height advantage. Also, he made the mistake of going backwards all night long and trying to fight off the ropes.

Margarito does have a hell of a chin. But he is slow and plodding. And not defensively sound - although he was brilliant enough to keep his elbows tucked close all night. He follows his opponents around the ring, coming straight foward and does not work the angles. His punches are wide. Style made this fight and Cotto was not adept enough to be able to adapt in the ring. Gr8 Fight...true mettle was shown. I would like to see a re-match.

If AM follows Floyd around the ring, he will get picked apart. And we know Floyd will not tire. Potshots all night for the easy UD. I will say there is no way PBF knocks him out tho.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really dont know, it hink cotto is stronger then floyd, and he couldnt do anything to AM. the only problem would be floyd being way faster and AM never being able to touch him. but i really dont know, i think AM could be able to ware down floyd like he did cotto. and cotto didnt just run out of steam on his own, it was the combination of him both running, but the body shots and constant onslaught that did it aswell.

dsholmes1

Reaction score
You are correct it was not him simply running out of steam. He did not know how to deal with the pressure. Floyd has demonstrated that he can deal with pressure in fighting Hatton and the much bigger Baldomir. He is too smart to let another fighter throw him off his game tho...And he would keep AM in the center of the ring and use lateral to make him miss and tire. Plus by staying off the ropes he will not have to face the damaging body shots that Cotto attempted to endure. Margo's best shot is to catch Floyd with one of his uppercuts but he would def have to work on changing his timing and throwing punches from diff angles.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hatton is smaller then AM, so i dont know how much easier it would be to avoid him etc. cotto also tried to use lateral, its just really hard to do that for 12 round. i know if anyone could do it, it would be floyd, but AM does not tire, so i dont think that would be a problem. i would really like to see it, and i think it would be an amazing fight.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
hatton is smaller then AM, so i dont know how much easier it would be to avoid him etc. cotto also tried to use lateral, its just really hard to do that for 12 round. i know if anyone could do it, it would be floyd, but AM does not tire, so i dont think that would be a problem. i would really like to see it, and i think it would be an amazing fight.
It would be one of the most BORING fights in boxing history. All the ducker (Floyd) would do is clinch, and run like he did against DLH. AM would destroy Floyd with body punches. No way in hell you will EVER see AM vs PBF.

dsholmes1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
It would be one of the most BORING fights in boxing history. All the ducker (Floyd) would do is clinch, and run like he did against DLH. AM would destroy Floyd with body punches. No way in hell you will EVER see AM vs PBF.

LOL. The ducker! Right. If Margarito manages to hold onto his belt until next year...We shall see. And why are none of these guys man enough to call Floyd Mayweather out. They know the recipe for securing a figh with PBF is to call him out of his name at the end of a fight.

Margarito would lose against PBF. PBF has too much skill, talent, ring smarts and experience to lose to AM. Say what you will...hopefully at this time next year we will have the answer the Am vs PBF question. I think we will.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsholmes1
LOL. The ducker! Right. If Margarito manages to hold onto his belt until next year...We shall see. And why are none of these guys man enough to call Floyd Mayweather out. They know the recipe for securing a figh with PBF is to call him out of his name at the end of a fight.

Margarito would lose against PBF. PBF has too much skill, talent, ring smarts and experience to lose to AM. Say what you will...hopefully at this time next year we will have the answer the Am vs PBF question. I think we will.

What the hell are you talking about???

AM has been calling out PBF for at least 2 years now. AM doesn't waste his time mentioning PBF anymore because he knows PBF will never get in the ring with him.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
floyd already turned down a fight with AM. noone wants to fight him, you have to give cotto credit just for taking it. something noone else would do.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
floyd already turned down a fight with AM. noone wants to fight him, you have to give cotto credit just for taking it. something noone else would do.

True. Cotto could of easily turned the fight until a snooze fest by running, and holding all night, but instead he chose to fight. That's why I don't buy into people saying Cotto quit. Cotto just got beat, and he knew it.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is no way he quit. that was a war, and there is a point where you lose, and he just lost. he fought until he couldnt any more, and it was an amazing fight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads