• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Are you looking for solar shade fabric or the entire assembly?

Creation Baumann makes really nice solar fabrics in their mill in Switzerland.
https://www.creationbaumann.com/en/Interior-shading-roller-blinds-4112.html

I have not seen their roller shades systems before but I suspect they are made by Silent Gliss.
http://www.silentgliss.com/

I have Lutron Homeworks QS that power my blinds and the motors are silent and work well with solar shades.

I've used solar shades from SheerWeave in the past as well as Lutron. Lutron has higher tech fabrics but if you don't have a specific technical requirement then SheerWeave is much cheaper and still good quality.
https://www.phifer.com/product/sun-control/interior/

Thanks. The first two don't have any places near me. I'm able to find phifer online, so that's a good reference point to start. Thanks again.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I have Creation Baumann drapes and you can have fabric samples sent to you for free from their NYC showroom, or from Switzerland if they don't have it in stock. Same for Silent Gliss. You can use their fabrics with whatever system your shade company uses.

That said if you are just looking for something plain then SheerWeave is quite good.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on solar shades?

We had a very good experience with the Shade Store. I preferred the ability to browse their comprehensive web site, visit a showroom, and take home swatches, as opposed to having someone come to my house for a pitch with a bunch of books. They take care of measuring and installation.

We’ve got a mix of roller and Roman shades that we’ve liked. Service was very good. Had a minor issue with installation on something and production on another that they fixed without question and immediately for free. They also have their own motorized system with an easy to program app that has been immensely useful for timing when to raise and lower shades.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My wife is keen to get motorized roller shades. I am reluctant to get them because a) batteries and b) skepticism of the durability of the motors. Anyone have reassuring experience? Note that I'm already scandalized by the $2000 quote for two 5'x5' windows, so ideally would like to hear from folks with middlebrow shades. :)

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife is keen to get motorized roller shades. I am reluctant to get them because a) batteries and b) skepticism of the durability of the motors. Anyone have reassuring experience? Note that I'm already scandalized by the $2000 quote for two 5'x5' windows, so ideally would like to hear from folks with middlebrow shades. :)

I can’t speak to real longevity, as mine are only about two years old. However, we have nine separate shades on motors, none of which have had any issues during that time. I’ve considered that a victory.

The batteries get recharged roughly every six months or so. Simple wire that gets plugged-in overnight. Minor nuisance, but easy to do. You’re not taking anything down or apart. The unit looks, essentially, no different than the non-motorized version. Very clean profile.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I've had them for over 10 years now and never had an issue with the motors. First system was a wireless one from Somfy and the current one I have had for 4 years is Lutron Homeworks QS with 30 Lutron motors. The Lutron motors more expensive than Somfy but they are completely silent. I would check out Somfy first though because they may have come out with a silent motor, they are also going to be something like half the price.

I have never had any shades that are battery powered.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had no intention of using motorized shades, so I didn't have any power run to the location during the remodel, so batteries are the only option.

Principle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9C001E47-D033-4F39-BF31-8EE8130A4B3A.jpeg
5E790034-91B3-4D29-9C2C-024F0593C6D7.jpeg
D76F4EBD-B8CD-47DC-9BCA-7B825A1CDCA5.jpeg

Finally got Roberta Massuch pieces. Left is earthenware, right is stoneware.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s a rare one-off, if I’m not mistaken. I don’t think Noguchi put out a ton of work but the work he did put out is quality. It really sticks with you.

I really like the basalt stone he used for an installation at the MET.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads