• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I really like that table, too. I'd use the blue Eames chairs rather than the white and add a ceiling light that can cast some warm light.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the stark modern stuff but I often find it too cold or not homey enough or something...

I need someone else to pick out/gift/force upon me pieces that I would not necessarily buy but make everything come together much more nicely. It is like I stick too strongly to my aesthetic...super low prices on thrift store finds actually help a bit with this as I might consider things I would otherwise pass up.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred49
After all it is an ad for kitchen cabinets not a home for sale.

ah, this explains the apparent lack of livability (no ovens, fridge, etc.). I like the cabinet sizes and the set up. Would be really nice if they were a dark wood rather than white.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I didn't say it wasn't "nice". Just not my taste

To answer your question though: give me some wood, some functional stainless steel appliances (not an ultra-thin convection range or ultra-slim hood) and enough cabinetry and I'm happy

Not a frequent poster but spend a lot of time lurking in "Fine Living, Home..."

Thought I might contribute something so here is my new kitchen:

Still waiting on the refrigerator panels.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The computer station is an interesting concept. I like your kitchen

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
there are some things that I really like about that kitchen. Not that my opinion has much validity behind it, anything I learn somes from the GF and 80% of the time I probably interpret it wrong.

Likes: the cabinets are beautiful. The dark wood, frosted glass and light counters are very sharp. And the range. The mixed lighting sources are also great. As are the acrylic chairs.

so-so: that is a massive island. Massive. Part of me like these, but part of me wonders what type of impact they'll have on the flow of the room (especially when there is a small crowd). And the 8-9 pictures on the counter, mostly because I'm a fan of the clean/uncluttered food prep area. And another personal thing, but I would totally spill a glass of wine while cooking and it would cascade onto the computer area. I hope you have more poise than I.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would be great with a window somewhere in the middle of these cabinets to bring in some natural light

FWIW, this is ours. We didn't design it, the previous owners did - but we like it

DSC_0401.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
and a proper paper towel rack hanging somewhere.

oh, and I love the lighting under the cabinets. Dig.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
So the Design Dode in our neighborhood mandates a windowed and privacy side of the house. The kitchen is on the privacy side of the house so we came up with the undercabinet glass block to still let some natural light in. I would have loved to have some real windows.

The island is massive - 12' x 11'. The paths arround it are wide enough that they do not pose a problem and people tend to gather on the 3 sides - not the computer area. When we have a lot of people over, it is not unusual to have 10 people gathered around it and we can fit 5-6 stools at the overhang. I had contemplated an L shaped island with a built in L-shaped bench seat and a kitchen table but thought it would eliminate people milling around the island for parties. With that being said, the island is definitely unduly large.

I blame my wife for the clutter. The towels usually end up on the dishwasher door handles on each side of the main sink.

P.S. love the tile on the range hood gdl

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
gdl - Nolita?

+1 on the tile. And the white stone/white cabinets look great. And the touch of stone above the sink. I can't tell from here (either the picture actually doesn't show it or my work computer resolution can't get the contrast right), but what is the floor material? Looks dark, and I like dark.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
gdl - Nolita?

+1 on the tile. And the white stone/white cabinets look great. And the touch of stone above the sink. I can't tell from here (either the picture actually doesn't show it or my work computer resolution can't get the contrast right), but what is the floor material? Looks dark, and I like dark.

Yes

Stone is all marble - tops and island

Floor is dark wood but not black dark - lighting of picture is pretty low

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads