• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must design be “new” to be good? I don’t agree with discouraging thoughtful iteration and evolution. For example, Jasper Morrison’s work is excellent, and yet no one would ever claim it is wholly “‘new”.

nothing is ever really *new* but i still agree with gus . my caveat is that rather than focusing on novelty it's better to focus on fit-of-solution .

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Bit of a weird question I know, but would anyone by chance have any recommendations for a chair I could buy that’s similar to this one Bruce Campbell was sitting in on this episode of Psych?

fJnmhXp.jpg
Not the same lines/angularity but similar function is Hans Olsens's Fried Egg Chair. More of a shelf than the womb chair (granted, only on one side).

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is really the right thread, but I couldn't find anywhere else that seemed more appropiate so here goes. Been forcing myself to paint and draw more lately, both for building an overall stronger portfolio but also just for my own sake. It started off with some stuff in acrylic, continued with dry pastels and now seems to have landed in "simple" colored pencils.

The beginning step was this photo I took a couple years back with my phone, after we had stopped the car for the fox in question.
1698251156811.png

I always really liked it but low lighting and lack of sharpness put a stop to making anything more out of it, until last week when I realized it'd be a good candidate to recreate with pen and paper.
1698251532166.png
It was a pretty quick drawing, probably not more than 2hrs in total, but it felt like there was something there to continue exploring, utilizing the white of the paper in contrast with the black pencil. For the above illustration I also used a bit of white pencil for blending, but in my works since then I've been strictly using the Faber-Castell Polychromos 199 Black, nothing else.

These continued works have by now turned into a series that I call "Animal Situations", with a variety of creatures in both usual and unusual locations.
1698252028140.png
The city-based works could be interpreted as some kind of commentary on urbanization/ densification as well as different kinds of forests/jungles with it's respective inhabitants.
1698252056739.png
But the more honest explanation is that I just think the high contrast between the animals and their environments looks great, to some degree also inspired by night photography where the subject is intentionally overblown relative to it's surroundings.
1698252181777.png
All of the illustrations are 120x180mm, on a white 170g A4 paper (210x297mm). The plan now is to get some of the originals sold and then in turn make some numbered runs of professional prints, both in their original dimensions as well as much much larger renditions.
1698252229493.png
As mentioned, a bit of a different post than what people usually share in here, but hopefully you have enjoyed seeing these pictures of mine and reading the accompanying story behind their creation.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
I don't know if this is really the right thread, but I couldn't find anywhere else that seemed more appropiate so here goes. Been attempting to force myself to paint and draw more lately, both for building an overall stronger portfolio of works but also just for my own sake. It started off with some stuff in acrylic, continued with dry pastels and now seems to have landed in "simple" colored pencils.

The "beginning step" so to say, was this photo I took a couple years back with my phone after we had stopped the car for the fox in question.
View attachment 2055365

I always really liked it but low lighting and lack of sharpness put a stop to making anything more out of it, until last week when I realized it'd be a good candidate to recreate with pen and paper.
It was a pretty quick drawing in total, probably not more than 2hrs in total, but it felt like there was something there to continue exploring, utilizing the white of the paper in contrast with the black pencil. For the above illustration I also used a bit of white pencil for blending, but in my works since then I've been strictly using the Faber-Castell Polychromos 199 Black, nothing else.

These continued works have by now turned into a series that I call "Animal Situation", with a variety of creatures in buth usual and unusual locations.
The city-based works could be interpreted as some kind of commentary on urbanization/ densification as well as different kinds of forests/jungles with it's respective inhabitants.
But the more honest explanation is that I just think the high contrast between the animals and their environments looks great, to some degree also inspired by night photography where the subject is intentionally overblown relative to it's surroundings.
All of the illustrations are 120x180mm, on a white 170g A4 paper (210x297mm). The plan now is to get some of the originals sold and then in turn make some numbered runs of professional prints, both in their original dimensions as well as much much larger renditions.
As mentioned a bit different than what people usually share in here, but hopefully you have enjoyed seeing these pictures of mine and reading the accompanying story behind their creation.

For what it is worth, I really like the elephant one in particular.

Good luck!

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the eyes follow you around the room?

Finally got our new chandelier, all the way from @Scuppers stomping ground of Melbourne, Australia. Blinds and curtains in two more weeks.

IMG_3130.jpg

Can't really see it in the picture but the details are cool. Said to be inspired by a snake spine.

Screen_Shot_2022-01-20_at_4.08.50_PM.png

Last edited:

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do the eyes follow you around the room?

Finally got our new chandelier, all the way from @Scuppers stomping ground of Melbourne, Australia. Blinds and curtains in two more weeks.

View attachment 2056455

Can't really see it in the picture but the details are cool. Said to be inspired by a snake spine.

Screen_Shot_2022-01-20_at_4.08.50_PM.png
Brass and glass?

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is really the right thread, but I couldn't find anywhere else that seemed more appropiate so here goes. Been forcing myself to paint and draw more lately, both for building an overall stronger portfolio but also just for my own sake. It started off with some stuff in acrylic, continued with dry pastels and now seems to have landed in "simple" colored pencils.

The beginning step was this photo I took a couple years back with my phone, after we had stopped the car for the fox in question.
View attachment 2055365

It was a pretty quick drawing, probably not more than 2hrs in total, but it felt like there was something there to continue exploring, utilizing the white of the paper in contrast with the black pencil. For the above illustration I also used a bit of white pencil for blending, but in my works since then I've been strictly using the Faber-Castell Polychromos 199 Black, nothing else.

These continued works have by now turned into a series that I call "Animal Situations", with a variety of creatures in both usual and unusual locations.
As mentioned, a bit of a different post than what people usually share in here, but hopefully you have enjoyed seeing these pictures of mine and reading the accompanying story behind their creation.

Wrapping up this series for now, and doing so by revisiting the first original image and making another rendition that matches the rest of the series more closely.

I think the original version still has it's charm but it's been fun to see the progress and skills learned during these weeks, made even more obvious when seeing the two images next to eachother.

I'll probably revisit these at some point, but right now I'm planning to delve back into furniture for a bit as well as try out some other styles of art/illustration.

img048.jpg

Last edited:

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We bought this for the living room. Young artist, and he appropriately titled it “Maniacs” . Which we liked for that space.

It’s relatively huge, 3 by 6 feet.
IMG_4366.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads