• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative Work Attire Question: Socks

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
A Quick question regarding socks--

Today at work I have worn the following

-Barba Napoli White Shirt
-Charcoal Herringbone Slacks--Flat front, cuff
-Brioni floral print tie--Light blue, with red, pink, and white micro design
-C&J Handgrades--Belgrave
-Duchamp Socks--Pnk, Green, light blue, pink, coral, white, and tan

I have gotten some rather interesting comments by coworkers, telling me that my socks were 'interesting' and 'festive'. One even asked if I was wearing toe socks. I work at a rather conservative financial institution in the Midwest.

My question is, would you consider the socks too garish for a conservative institution, or is this an appropriate pop in an otherwise conservative ensemble?

Most of my colleagues (first year analysts) typically wear plain socks that exactly match their slacks; senior management does not.

Thanks for the input

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fairholme_wannabe
My question is, would you consider the socks too garish for a conservative institution, or is this an appropriate pop in an otherwise conservative ensemble?

I wouldn't call them garish, but they're absolutely not conservative. I'd switch to a plain or at least more subtle sock given that you're 1. in the Midwest and 2. in the financial sector.

Then again, you're wearing a pink floral tie, so what do I know.

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Pontifex
I wouldn't call them garish, but they're absolutely not conservative. I'd switch to a plain or at least more subtle sock given that you're 1. in the Midwest and 2. in the financial sector.

Then again, you're wearing a pink floral tie, so what do I know.

Thanks for the advise--will go in the closet.

Pink is a tertiary color in the scheme--definitely subtle.

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
What's your belt size?

And are you an opulent Chinese?

- B

Not attempting to be ostentatious; merely attempting to detail the extent of how conservative or traditional the rest of the apparel is.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
WIth respect- that's silly. "conservative socks because you live in the midwest?"

We're not all Diavolo.

The Midwest is widely recognized as the most conservatively-dressed area of the United States. Fashion-forward attire in the financial sector is risque to begin with, but its outlandishness is only increased in the Midwest. If you're looking to break industry standards, then you'd probably have better luck on the Coasts or in the Southwest. Or at least you'd run into more leniency.

daveboxster

Reaction score
When I graduated college (20 years ago), I worked for a conservative public accounting firm/consulting firm. Suit and tie were expected.

I wore patterned socks every day, and a lot of bold socks. On days that I had big meetings, I would wear more subtle patterns. Generally, everything matched my tie or braces or pants in some way.

Some examples:
- A glen plaid pair with a grey suit
- Maroon socks with blue when I was wearing a maroon tie
- Some paisleys that were bold and large (Duchamp has a pair similar)

The thing that showed these a lot more were loafers (gasp, yes I did wear loafers with a suit). If I wanted to wear bold socks and not show them too much, cap toes were what I wore.

This became a style for me. Others replicated it. One guy I knew wore extremely bold polka dot socks that I wouldn't even wear.

Bottom line: Wear what you want. Be confident about it. At the end of the day, people that judge you by your socks are probably not the ones you want to work for.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
That's well and fine, Dave, but you definitely didn't dress conservatively. While you might get away with that, I think employees need to ask themselves whether dressing "as an individual" is worth the possibility of negative attention. I think this is particularly true during your early years with a firm.

I don't think wearing flamboyant clothing has anything to do with confidence in this setting. You could wear a pink suit with the utmost confidence at a conservative firm, and you'd almost surely be adversely judged for doing so.

Some might be willing to take the risk, and that risk might be justifiable given your goals in life. Nonetheless, I think it's misleading to believe there's a safe strategy for breaking industry attire standards.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Duchamp socks are acceptable in 99% of the organisations in the UK. Not acceptable in other countries.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Pontifex
The Midwest is widely recognized as the most conservatively-dressed area of the United States. Fashion-forward attire in the financial sector is risque to begin with, but its outlandishness is only increased in the Midwest. If you're looking to break industry standards, then you'd probably have better luck on the Coasts or in the Southwest. Or at least you'd run into more leniency.

Remove NYC and DC , then most of major cities in the midwest and the east coast are about the same.
Take a 1 1/2 hour drive out of NYC or DC and the folks dress just like midwest folks in small cities.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
How about this rule of thumb,

If you gotta ask, don't wear.

yeah, or if more than one person comments on your socks, they may be inappropriate for your work setting

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads