• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes yes. I agree - woollen vs worsted. Yet I did it regardless...

Someotherstyle, do you mind explaining this comment? Is combining a woolen and worsted piece not appropriate?

GDL, thanks a lot for the reply.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
It can be argued that the texture in the tie isn't appropriate with the texture of the suit. Refer to Vox's current thread for something along those lines.

Thanks for the comments on the tie - it is from one of Will's original EG Capelli's MTO runs.

-M

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
I think Vox/FC/Bill meant the scale similarity between the coat's stripe and the shirt's graph paper check. The scales are very similar. Better to vary the scale.

I agree with the others: Beautiful tie, SoS. Looks very nice with either that coat or that shirt.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
Fair comment. I can see where you're coming from, however I feel as the shirt is very subtle, it is not overpowering in anyway to have similar scales of pattern. The tie, of course, is another matter of scale.

edit: in order to bring out the shirt pattern, I had to adjust the sharpness/contrast of the photo some. I think it makes it seem a little more pronounced than IRL

Last edited:

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
I don't mean that it's overpowering. It isn't. It's not loud or garish at all.

If anything, it's too underpowering. It looks like the patterns are trying to be as similar as possible, but can't quite do it. Or maybe this is a better simile: It's as if one of the patterns was trying to hide.

Could very well be that IRL, one doesn't notice the scale similarity. If that shirt reads as a solid from three feet away, the ensemble is faultless.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was to predict what Vox would say, it'd be that the smooth grey worsted pinstripe suit with white pocket square is on the city end of the city-country scale, and the olive wool tie is past the midpoint of the scale towards the country. That would be a discord, slight, but a discord that didn't seem to be with cause. If one is aiming for truly harmonious, one wouldn't choose it.

If you are lucky, Vox really will dissect the choices for you.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If I was to predict what Vox would say, it'd be that the smooth grey worsted pinstripe suit with white pocket square is on the city end of the city-country scale, and the olive wool tie is past the midpoint of the scale towards the country. That would be a discord, slight, but a discord that didn't seem to be with cause. If one is aiming for truly harmonious, one wouldn't choose it.
If you are lucky, Vox really will dissect the choices for you.

That's nonsense about the olive wool tie.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that suit were a solid worsted or a flannel the tie would be fine for me. It's the pinstripes that make the combination with the tie a bit less than stellar. Not bad by any means - just not quite 'over the moon'.

In my mind pinstripes make a suit something very specific and worsted pinstripes even more so. I find it pretty hard to make textured wool ties look great with worsted pinstripe - not impossible - but tricky.

Now - all things are possible (more or less). It's less about the language/labels/categories than it is the actual pieces and the end results.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jj_fl