• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Complete Facial Care

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Two things I would love to eliminate:

(1) Shave bumps at the bottom of my neck (only place I get them)

(2) The weekly pimple that randomly shows up somewhere on my face and takes a week and a half to finally go away.

I must admit that I do not use a face wash only the body wash in the shower. Are the Proactive products as good as they advertise? Do they work for someone who has the slightest acne problem (once a week, you could set your clock to it)?

Currently I shave using a Mach 3, Kings of Shave Gel always after I get out of the shower. I use Bump Stopper II after shaving then I use Nivea inbetween shaves. I used am electric razor yesterday and it worked fine, by not using a traditional razor eliminate the bumps? Suggestions on affordable products?

I am a white guy too btw.........

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the mach 3 may be cutting your beard too close to your skin on your neck, causing the ingrown hairs (bumps) - try switching to a single or 2 blade (gillette sensor instead of a mach 3)

or, as they're only on your neck, it may be that you're shaving against the grain in that most hair on a guy's neck doesn't grow in the same direction as the face, it can grow sideways, upside down, etc. so try adjusting the direction that you shave your neck to match the direction of the hair growth

since you have only the occassional pimple, i don't think proactive is necessary but just use a topical over the counter remedy like clearasil

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going from no face wash to something like proactive is quite an extreme transition. Best to try out a gentle face wash first. For an affordable product, I would recommend you buy the Nivia face wash that comes in the white tube. It's either labeled gentle or sensitive, I forgot what they changed the name to.

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
I had the shave bumps before the Mach 3. I always shave in an upward direction at the bottom of my neck. I will try something different if the electric razor does not work. Actually I have used facial wash from time to time (mostly the scrubbing type that help to lift hair before shaving) and I also periodically use JS sebrum off mask on my nose to help compress the pores. I have always had large pores around my nose along with redness.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get why cetaphil is so popular in this forum. It is the worst cleanser I have used. Not only did it not clean, but it left my skin feeling heavy and broke me out.

Edit: Stop shaving upward. A bit of stubble will always look better than razor bumps.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this deserves another thread, but how does one go about shaving their neck?
Mine can get pretty hairy in between barber visits, but whenever I try and shave it I end up with an itchy neck and little red bumps from the irritation. I have no sch problem when my barber shaves it.

I'm no face care expert, but I'm surprised anyone is recomending Nivia, I've tried a body wash and a facial mousturizer/sunblock by them and both were heavily perfumed which I though was a source of irritation...

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He asked for an affordable product. There are much better products he can get if he were willing to pay a higher price and order online, but as far as drug store products, the Nivia wash is the best I have tried.

If you are still looking for a drug store facial moisturizer, then I would recommend Burt's Bees day cream. A bit pricey at $14 with an inconvenient jar, but it's a fantastic product that goes on light and is quickly absorbed. Just make sure its the first thing you apply after you dry your face.

How do you go about shaving your neck at home? I would suspect the difference is from the tools and methods of the barber. Does he give you a hot towel wrap? You can do the same at home by dipping part of your towel in hot water, or just put a wet wash cloth in the microwave for a bit. It can make a huge difference, among other things. Personally I section off my neck from the underside of my jawline. Everything below I shave with the grain, everything above I eventually shave upwards/against the grain on the second or third pass.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would just stop shaving upward. Dont shave against the grain

and just wash your face with some dove soap or something a couple of times a day and get some oil blotting wipes. my gf has em and I useed to use them from her at one point and they work great. I dont really like facial cleansers that much..I got some bad allergic reaction to one that I used at one poitn so I never use or try any anymore...

But the oil blotting sheets work. They have expensive ones too but I dont think they work any better then the ones for 4 dollars...

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
He asked for an affordable product. There are much better products he can get if he were willing to pay a higher price and order online, but as far as drug store products, the Nivia wash is the best I have tried.

If you are still looking for a drug store facial moisturizer, then I would recommend Burt's Bees day cream. A bit pricey at $14 with an inconvenient jar, but it's a fantastic product that goes on light and is quickly absorbed. Just make sure its the first thing you apply after you dry your face.

How do you go about shaving your neck at home? I would suspect the difference is from the tools and methods of the barber. Does he give you a hot towel wrap? You can do the same at home by dipping part of your towel in hot water, or just put a wet wash cloth in the microwave for a bit. It can make a huge difference, among other things. Personally I section off my neck from the underside of my jawline. Everything below I shave with the grain, everything above I eventually shave upwards/against the grain on the second or third pass.

When I said affordable I should have made myself more clear. If something is $25 than I can afford it as long as it will last a month or two. I am not going to be paying $50 and up each month for facial care. Hopefully that will help with suggestions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads