• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comebacks: What to say when people comment about your clothes?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
its the only clean clothing i left over at your moms house after i banged her furiously and watched re runs of mash while your father made me pancakes with sprinkles and blue berries.

That's to much to remember.

I just like to say, "f you".

bigstar[1].gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
its the only clean clothing i left over at your moms house after i banged her furiously and watched re runs of mash while your father made me pancakes with sprinkles and blue berries.

this is ballin, but I read a good one at SZ of all places "Damn, really?! Here I was thinking I looked so cool until you came along, now I don't know what to do!"

...but I've never received anything but complements
bigstar[1].gif

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricota
Too much, IMO.

I find when people try this, and are clearly trying to mock me, a simple "thank you" speaks louder then anything. No bs, there is nothing better, then when a co-worker spends minutes complementing you on your clothes in front of everyone (and you ofcouse get that he is trying to muck you, and expects a big argument from you) and then simply say thank you, and then move on. Perfect. You are vindicated and he is ridicules and you can go on dressing they way you like...

I tell you I have no patience for people why try to better themself on the expence of others...

+100

When I wore my pink dior jeans in the outer suburbs around here I got the same snarky mocking 'nice pants' comment, saying "thank you" in a confident tone that shows you know they are trying to take the piss but don't care about their opinion and are happy with the way you look. This is best because it cannot come across as negative because you said thank you, yet you subtly get your point across that you choose to ignore their opinion.

Originally Posted by ImtheSchmidt
P.S. On a side note, since I've been wearing bow ties I find that women really go crazy for them. I've never had so many different women approach me to tell me how much they like it. On the flip-side I've noticed that with some men they can actually "anger" them in some ways. Oh well...

bigstar[1].gif

Women think you're cute and men think you're softening the male image/giving men a bad name by wearing something 'poncy'. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it is essentially just the fact that they don't 'get it' that they're angry and trying to educate them would be a waste of time and in many cases a lost cause. Though I do find people are less judgemental when they know the person and less inclined to be negative about someone's choice of dress.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Thank you" is usually how I go about it. Simple, slightly condescending, yet puts the complimenter in such a place that they can't do anything but sulk away. Winner.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In general, one could say "I tried to find something clean in my closet."

For bowties, one could comment that it makes changing diapers much safer. And eating soup, for that matter. Particularly if you have a DB jacket.

celticgent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
To me, this DOES come off as snobbish and condescending.

Originally Posted by holymadness
Pretentious.
facepalm.gif

I am a bit surprised by these responses.

Perhaps it doesn't look the same on paper as it does in meatspace, or perhaps I do come off as an asshole.

confused.gif

Verno Inferno

Reaction score
At work, I get, "why are you so dressed up? What's with the blazer?" (We're business casual, and an occasional blazer or tie stands out). I tell ya, I've had great success with, "I love ties." Or, "I really like blazers, especially when it's cold in the office." It's honest and they usually have nothing to say in return other than, "it looks nice" or "oh I bet you have an interview somewhere else!" Then we laugh and move on. And then they stop asking.

Attempts to be witty have failed. Lying fails. Just say you like it and then you're just the guy who likes to cares more about clothes than the other guys. Which you are, so just own that truth, I say.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Verno Inferno
...Attempts to be witty have failed. Lying fails. Just say you like it and then you're just the guy who likes to cares more about clothes than the other guys. Which you are, so just own that truth, I say.

^This is probably not going to endear you to your co-workers.
Why not just say you enjoy wearing nice clothing? You are less likely to get kicked in the nuts.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i would just say, "...uuhh. ok...now ,what makes you think i give a sh*t about your opinion??"

and if he or she says "well, look at you! youre angry at what i said! haha you do give a care!"

i would say "...uhh..sure.. but angry at you harrassing me for no reason. that is why.....???.. i still dont give a sh*t about your opinion"

bumper crop

Reaction score
dakota rube- "^This is probably not going to endear you to your co-workers.
Why not just say you enjoy wearing nice clothing? You are less likely to get kicked in the nuts."

i dont think he was advocating that one say it out loud. only that it is the impression you will leave.

i think whatever you say you aren't going to have to say it more than once. i am the 'dressy' guy here because i wear shirts with buttons. i was once asked why i got so 'dressed up' and simply said that i like the way the shirt looks on me.

since then, if anything is said, it's complimentary. people just know that there isn't a way to make me feel self conscious by talking about my clothes.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i would just say, "...uuhh. ok...now ,what makes you think i give a sh*t about your opinion??"

and if he or she says "well, look at you! youre angry at what i said! haha you do give a care!"

i would say "...uhh..sure.. but angry at you harrassing me for no reason. that is why.....???.. i still dont give a sh*t about your opinion"

eh.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The further out of context you are with your dress, the more your're inviting the questions.

I've been asked twice at work about why I dress nicer than "required" and have given two off the cuff answers that both seemed fine to me. "It's just what I feel comfortable in" and the second, less diplomatic "because I'm not in high school anymore". That said, if I wore a suit everyday it would just be plain weird and no amount of "just loving suits" would make it OK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads