• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color consistency of well-known brands' shoes

katastrofa

Reaction score
I was recently looking at Loake Slone spectators, and the two pairs the store attendant brought me had completely different colors: one was cream / dark brown (as the photos show), the other was cream / mahogany. I asked him if doesn't consider differing so widely from specifications to be a factory flaw...

Then on the same day I ended buying a pair of Cheaney Edwins, and a bit later I noticed that the toe of one shoe is a shade lighter than the other. Nothing a small amount of brown cream can't fix, but it raised a question:

High quality (I count both Loake and Cheaney as "high quality") shoemakers obviously care about the shoe last (the shape of the Edwins is really nice), leather quality (really nice), stitching - but the color consistency is only so-so. Why?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you inquire as to whether or not any of the shoes were formerly used in a window display? Prolonged exposure to sunlight can change the original finish, regardless of manufacturer.

katastrofa

Reaction score
I don’t think so, the stores were both in the arcades where there is no direct sunlight, and the shoes were brought from the backroom and taken out of the box.

Regardless, trying to sell to customer shoes damaged by sunlight exposure is not good salesmanship and reflects poorly on the brand...

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just did a cursory look into this model. Interesting, they are the 1880 line, which is good quality.
http://www.loake.co.uk/sloane.html

It appears that Loake offers, for example, variations of Black & White or Black and Cream.
Perhaps the pair in the store were accidentally mixed when a previous customer was trying them on?
Just make sure the pair you buy are matched. I forsee no problems with 1800's. They always get good reviews on here. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

katastrofa

Reaction score
No. The shoes were matching. It's just that they were neither black nor dark brown, they were mahogany-ish with a yellow/green tinge.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vidaliaJule