• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classy Dessert to bring to New Years dinner - NYC

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok hello.

So this New Years Eve i will be going to a dinner party.... but here is my dilemma

The party will be hosted by a bunch of my friends from Milan, Italy. I will be the only american there. My friends from Milan are significantly more sophisticated and worldly than I am.
musicboohoo[1].gif

I was told to bring the dessert. Under normal circumstances i would bring Junior's Cheesecake or something like that. However, these Italian people are kind of sophisticated or European or something like that. I assume they would enjoy a different type of dessert.... but i dont know what to bring.

Any suggestions for downtown NYC? are there any really nice places to purchase dessert? Any type of dessert u can suggest?

and finally, i was also told to bring some champagne or wine. Any suggestions for under $100 per bottle? any brand names i should look for?

ps... this is what pasta they will be serving

the main menu will be 2 types of pasta (trofie al pesto, spaghetti al ragu) and cotechino with lentils

thank you!!!!!!!!

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Dean & Deluca is too obvious, try Lady M, Bouchon Bakery, or Almondie. I once bought a raspberry yogurt torte from Demel to a dinner party, it was a huge hit. There's nothing philistine to bring a New York cheesecake from Junior's, even Demel makes it at their Vienna store, you can dress it up with homemade coulis or Valrhona chocolate souce.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
If Dean & Deluca is too obvious, try Lady M, Bouchon Bakery, or Almondie. I once bought a raspberry yogurt torte from Demel to a dinner party, it was a huge hit. There's nothing philistine to bring a New York cheesecake from Junior's, even Demel makes it at their Vienna store, you can dress it up with homemade coulis or Valrhona chocolate souce.

thanks very much... i appreciate your help

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer the downtown question, I'd say that either Ceci Cela or Balthazar would have desserts that are sophisticated enough for your Milanese friends. That said, Italian desserts and pastries suck so what would they know?
devil.gif

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
To answer the downtown question, I'd say that either Ceci Cela or Balthazar would have desserts that are sophisticated enough for your Milanese friends. That said, Italian desserts and pastries suck so what would they know?
devil.gif

Thanks.... i forgot all about Balthazar.

Never been to Ceci Cela... will check it out

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
Thanks.... i forgot all about Balthazar.

Never been to Ceci Cela... will check it out

I know I may sound like a tourist recommending it but after 10 years here, I recently realized that Balthazar has in fact some of the very best pastries and tarts in the city. Ceci Cela is great too but more classic, while Balthazar always has seasonal tarts and cakes, which are usually pretty good.

With some advance notice, Laurent at Ceci Cela can make you a special dessert, e.g. a croquembouche. He made our wedding croquembouche with great choux flavors such as bitter chocolate-poire, caramel-cointreau...

MHH89

Reaction score
I would head down to Crumbs and grab a few dozen cupcakes. You could give our European guests a taste of Americana. I know Crumbs isn’t exactly the classiest dessert cuisine but the cupcakes are very good and something the guests would never expect.

Purchase a couple of bottles of Vueve Clicquot and you will be fine in the champagne department.

Good luck.

samblau

Reaction score
I can vouch for Veniero's on 11th st...really good Italian bakery, had a great chocolate ganache (sp?). While you are in the neighborhood you can stop at Trader Joe's wine shop on 14th off 3rd. The choices won't blow any body away but they have an excellent selection of moderate wine and their champagne offerings are diverse and fairly priced...I have gotten bottles for $10 - $50 that are all very good and the staff of hipsters is actually fairly knowledgeable/friendly.

http://www.venierospastry.com/

mussel

Reaction score
So you have to bring dessert and champagne and they'll only feed you carbs? Those Europeans are very sophisticated and worldly on how to give you short end of the stick.
devil.gif

And why so many Americans feel inferior around Europeans? AFAIK, there're more Europeans moving to America than the other way around.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Why not make somthing yourself. Pecan Pie and and some whipped cream woudl be great!

Much better wow factor if you made it yourself (and it is not all that hard)

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
Ok hello. So this New Years Eve i will be going to a dinner party.... but here is my dilemma The party will be hosted by a bunch of my friends from Milan, Italy. I will be the only american there. My friends from Milan are significantly more sophisticated and worldly than I am.
musicboohoo[1].gif
I was told to bring the dessert. Under normal circumstances i would bring Junior's Cheesecake or something like that. However, these Italian people are kind of sophisticated or European or something like that. I assume they would enjoy a different type of dessert.... but i dont know what to bring. Any suggestions for downtown NYC? are there any really nice places to purchase dessert? Any type of dessert u can suggest? and finally, i was also told to bring some champagne or wine. Any suggestions for under $100 per bottle? any brand names i should look for? ps... this is what pasta they will be serving the main menu will be 2 types of pasta (trofie al pesto, spaghetti al ragu) and cotechino with lentils thank you!!!!!!!!

Balthazar. Italian pastries are nothing to write home about so don't feel self conscious. Also, if they are such sophisticated italians they'd probably be serving something more elaborate instead of just two pasta dishes, so this tells me that in fact it really isn't this super serious event that you're making it out to be. I'm sure that they'll be thrilled with whatever you bring. They are your friends so they respect you and I'm sure that they trust you enough to pick something that you yourself like. Trust your own intuition, and something that's just elaborate will never best something that is simple and totally delicious.

aragoona

Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblau
I can vouch for Veniero's on 11th st...really good Italian bakery, had a great chocolate ganache (sp?). While you are in the neighborhood you can stop at Trader Joe's wine shop on 14th off 3rd. The choices won't blow any body away but they have an excellent selection of moderate wine and their champagne offerings are diverse and fairly priced...I have gotten bottles for $10 - $50 that are all very good and the staff of hipsters is actually fairly knowledgeable/friendly.

http://www.venierospastry.com/

+1

Make sure you order in advance....it's a madhouse there.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru