• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

OnTheRise

Reaction score
For Desert boots i am having the problem of a somewhat loose heel, it is squeezing around my arch and then i have about a thumb between the tip of the boot and my big toe, are these too big? I would inclined to say yes at first but i had trouble getting them on with regular black athletic socks and would thing another half size down it would be impossible to get them on due to the middle being too tight

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score
For Desert boots i am having the problem of a somewhat loose heel, it is squeezing around my arch and then i have about a thumb between the tip of the boot and my big toe, are these too big? I would inclined to say yes at first but i had trouble getting them on with regular black athletic socks and would thing another half size down it would be impossible to get them on due to the middle being too tight
I have the same issue, I could barely get my foot in at the beginning due to the instep. However now they're kinda lose and floppy all around. I did try a half size down at a store and i couldn't even get my feet into them. If i was to do it again, i would buy the half size down and try to stretch the instep out. You could try the same. A cobbler can do it, or there are many DIY options for stretching that you can google. The other option is to try an insert in the heel or an insole, mine fit a lot better with an insole.

Last edited:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ You guys are doing it wrong. Clarks Desert Boots should fit comfortably from the get-go. There shouldn't be a painful break-in period and you definitely don't need to have a cobbler stretch them. If you can "barely get your foot" in, they are either too small or simply aren't compatible with your feet.

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ You guys are doing it wrong. Clarks Desert Boots should fit comfortably from the get-go. There shouldn't be a painful break-in period and you definitely don't need to have a cobbler stretch them. If you can "barely get your foot" in, they are either too small or simply aren't compatible with your feet.

+1

They're fairly wide fitting too.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
+2

It just doesn't make sense to me that these could ever be hard to slip on if you're anywhere near your correct size. They're made in a way that they virtually slip onto your feet.

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score
+2

It just doesn't make sense to me that these could ever be hard to slip on if you're anywhere near your correct size. They're made in a way that they virtually slip onto your feet.
Just to clarify my boots are definitely not too small. I can fit my fingers in behind my heel when I push my foot forwards, and I have quite a lot of heel slip in them without insoles. It is a close-minded statement to say that "they're made in a way to virtually slip on." Everyones feet are different, just because that was your experience with them, it does make it an ultimatum. It has been mentioned multiple times in this thread that people have found them tight around the arch of their foot when new. Its not a big issue though, I have a fairly high instep on my feet and they were tight at first but were fine after a few days of wear. The beeswax leather stretches a lot.

dreamsburndown

Reaction score
Mine were actually uncomfortable at first until I broke them in. They're fine now, however. The heel is a bit loose but that's just the nature of the beast. Chukka boots without crepe soles have tighter heels so that might be a better option.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Just to clarify my boots are definitely not too small. I can fit my fingers in behind my heel when I push my foot forwards, and I have quite a lot of heel slip in them without insoles.  It is a close-minded statement to say that "they're made in a way to virtually slip on."  Everyones feet are different, just because that was your experience with them, it does make it an ultimatum. It has been mentioned multiple times in this thread that people have found them tight around the arch of their foot when new. Its not a big issue though, I have a fairly high instep on my feet and they were tight at first but were fine after a few days of wear. The beeswax leather stretches a lot. 

OK. Tight around arches is one thing. I experience this too when they're new. Unable to get them on without a shoehorn because of tightness around the arches is quite another thing. They're just not made that way--there is huge room in the tongue and lace area to allow your foot to get in. It's not like a Red Wing boot tongue.

These shoes are not supposed to be that difficult. If you can't slip them on without tugging at them to get past the arch in your foot, there is a problem.

Last edited:

Menschenjaeger

Reaction score
They can be weird. My beeswax 10's were just this side of snug - the heel rubbing and the fact that I haven't worn stiff leather shoes for YEARS made the first week less than comfortable, though. But there was some stretch and the leather softened right up and they were lovely after a week.

I figured the suede would be even gentler, so I ordered a pair of 10's online and they were TIGHT. But it's suede, so I stuck it out and they were fine after about a week. Completely different issues, though - the most forward part of the instep was almost painfully tight. Couldn't wait to get out of them after a day at work. Had to keep telling myself to be patient, it's suede, it can't possibly stay tight. Then it was "ok, you bastids, I'm gonna wear my biggest, thickest socks, how ya like THEM apples?!" and about day 4 I noticed they were perfect with no socks, and I knew I was out of the woods. I've tried on other suede DB's in 10 (I have 3 Clark's stores in driving distance) and I think I just got a weird pair. Long story short, that instep will stretch, at least in suede.

As a protector, I tried some Timberland Balm Proofer, and it did darken them slightly, and the spray nozzle's not the best, so it killed a little of that "suede mojo." But a week later when some mud splashed right across my toes (one of those bizarre things that had to have temporarily violated the laws of physics) and it wiped up without a trace it was worth it.

Oh, and do size down a half, even if you have giant duck feet like me. http://www.styleforum.net/t/387070/clarks-dbs-in-beeswax-10-5-us

Last edited:

johnmichael95

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of the suedes--in love with them already.

Sizing really depends on how tight you can be comfortable with. Definitely size down. I normally wear an 11 or 11.5, and went with 10.5 for clarks.

They do stretch a bit, but will certainly be tight the first week or two, in my experience. If you have wider feet near the toes, or higher arches, they can be a tab uncomfortable while you're breaking them in. Soldier through it, though, and you have a pair of very comfortable, smart looking boots. Absolutely in love.

Treat your suede! I learned the hard way.

Best,
John

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads