• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

marksman

Reaction score
How can I repair the finish on this pair of Clarks Desert Mali?
I was in a motorcycle accident and they got scuffed up.

Mercuryman76

Reaction score

I'd say leave them. They have more character as they are.

Or you could just condition them with Lexol or something. that would probably help even out the color.

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score

The beeswax leather scuffs really easily like that, you can get most of it out by simply wetting you thumb and rubbing it. Conditioning should do the trick as well.

fasteddie911

Reaction score
I have a pair of Bushacre beeswax that I've occasionally wiped down with mink oil to get that darker look. Over time though it begins to lighten up, especially at the creases and I was wondering if using Obenauf's would maintain the darkness, or would it lighten up over time as well?

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score
I have a pair of Bushacre beeswax that I've occasionally wiped down with mink oil to get that darker look. Over time though it begins to lighten up, especially at the creases and I was wondering if using Obenauf's would maintain the darkness, or would it lighten up over time as well?

Obenaufs will lighten up as well. Get some coloured shoe polish or leather dye.

pozzilala

Reaction score
Happy I found this place. My dessert boots seem to be separating at the seam. I'm tempted to bring them to the guy here in town but he's a bit of a dick. They're still wearable but are these fixable?

Last edited:

fiercekrypton

Reaction score

Obenaufs l.p. ruined mine. It's just too heavy of a product for the bushacre leather and sometimes even the og desert boot leather. It led to them getting crackle effect caused by over oiling. Use sapphire renovator or GlenKaren conditioner cleaner. Most extreme that I would use would be saddle soap but it can over oil them too.

Last edited:

fiercekrypton

Reaction score
I can't believe the pair of Clark's I scored guys. I really had no idea what I had found when I bought these. When they arrived from eBay I was baffled by how nice the leather was, it's far superior to any cdb I have owned or seen. After some research I discovered they are a limited run from 2013 made out of Horween leather! They are stunning in person. Love the burgundy tint.

Last edited:

fiercekrypton

Reaction score

Happy I found this place. My dessert boots seem to be separating at the seam. I'm tempted to bring them to the guy here in town but he's a bit of a dick. They're still wearable but are these fixable?
I would think that Shoe Goo and some clothes pins would do pretty well for them. Often times you can get the Goo at Wal-Mart for 5 bucks.

Last edited:

fiercekrypton

Reaction score

Stupid question, best place to buy a pair of original desert boots, specifically in the Beeswax color? I don't want to pay full price for them...

I recommend buying used on eBay and trying to find some that are made in Vietnam. The leather on the ones made in China are not as good. Avoid bushacres. Refer to countless Amazon reviews to see why. No one gets to the heart of the issue as to why they separate from the bottom so easily. Reality is the bushacers are made of two very thin pieces of leather stitched and glued together both smooth out. The og boots are one full grain piece which makes the connection more reliable at the sole. The full grain leather is why overall the OG DB are a far superior boot.

Last edited:

fiercekrypton

Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair of Bushacre 2s in beeswax. Can someone give me a rundown on the benefits of different treatments for the leather (mink oil, beeswax, Obenauf's, etc.)? Are we just talking about darkening/softening the leather, or will some of them give a bit of water resistance? I've skimmed the thread, but I couldn't really find a comparison of the different products. Thanks, all.
Think of them as selvedge denim jeans. The longer you wait to oil them the better the patina. Saddle soap works well if you are extra careful not to use to much and be sure to follow the insructions, you should have a lather when you use it.
Hey! So I got myself a pair of CDB beeswax, but after waterproofing (boston waterbased protector) they ended up like this. Any of you guys know how I can fix this D:? Thanks.
Poor things. Use Lexxol leather cleaner. Can get it at Wal-Mart usually near auto care section.
Bushacres 2, Beeswax. The new ones on the left from Clarks (via Amazon) are considerably darker than the older pair I got 3-4 months ago at Nordstrom rack. I much prefer the color on the older pair (right), are they still available? Where and how can I get those instead? I don't know how much you've worn them but you might be surprised how quickly they lighten up. Out of curiosity can you tell us the location both were made?

Last edited:

fiercekrypton

Reaction score

The tongue of my CDBs keeps shifting hard to the side, looks really weird. How can I prevent this? 

I have a cool idea... I'm a sculptor so in my,mind this is very easy but you may disagree. Use a leather punch to punch a hole in the tongue and run your shoe laces up through the hole. So on the top eyelet you would push the lace down into the shoe instead of out and away. Then you would push it up through the tongue hole. I'd put the hole towards the outside of the tongue so it goes unnoticed.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads