• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some Derby Shoes with a commando sole. Anyone had any exeprience with Churchs Newfield? I am reading lots of bad things about Church's quality!

letsgofire

Reaction score
I am looking for some Derby Shoes with a commando sole. Anyone had any exeprience with Churchs Newfield? I am reading lots of bad things about Church's quality!
Church's makes excellent shoes. I have 4 pairs and I am very pleased with them. If you are willing to spend the money, I think you will find they are high quality and a good purchase decision.

There are a few people at SF (though they tend to post frequently) that seem to believe Church's has declined since Prada purchased them nearly 20 years ago. I'm not old enough or smart enough to compare shoe purchases from the late 1990s and 2016 in a side-by-side real world comparison, and feel that their feedback is unhelpful, even if there may be legitimate reasons from these passionate fans.

I personally think that a commando sole on a classic black dress shoe is a little difficult to look right. Perhaps a black scotch grain leather such at the Elland 2 model would look more natural with the commando sole.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of Shannon derbies in black calf with rubber sole, not commando and they are very comfortable. Perhaps one can get better construction for the price, but if you like the style and it fits with your aesthetic go for it!

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic Churchs "Custom Grade" (Chestwynd/Grafton/Diplomat/Consul/etc) are brilliant shoes, yesterday and today. They are manufactured by Cheaney in England under the supervision of Mr. Church (the owner of that company that sold Church´s Shoes to Prada long ago).

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am the happy owner of 5 pairs of Church's; they are very well made and will last forever. I can't talk from a aesthetic point of view because everybody has a opinion. I would stay away from non Custom Grade shoes, but that's me looking for shoes that will last a lot and won't go out of style. As someone said, they are the Mercedes Benz of shoes.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zapasman, are you shure about that : "they are manufactured by Cheaney in England under the supervision of Mr. Church". I will appreciate more information. Best

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Classic Churchs "Custom Grade" (Chestwynd/Grafton/Diplomat/Consul/etc) are brilliant shoes, yesterday and today.  They are manufactured by Cheaney in England under the supervision of Mr. Church (the owner of that company that sold Church´s Shoes to Prada long ago).  

So Church don't even have their own factory any longer in the UK?

I have to say I looked at the Church's website and I do not like the feeling I get from it, the art direction is Italian and it is completely out of place for what is a British brand with such a deep heritage.

I personally think that a commando sole on a classic black dress shoe is a little difficult to look right. Perhaps a black scotch grain leather such at the Elland 2 model would look more natural with the commando sole.

My question was specific to the Newfield.

Is Newfield really a dress shoe? It has a commando sole, have Church got this wrong?

Elland 2 is an ugly looking shoe IMHO.

Chowkin

Reaction score

church's uses a lot of polished leather. Corrected grain?

The betis collection is nice,

They called it "Polished Binder".

I don't get why people are so upset with polished binder, and some even attributed it to cost cutting by Prada. Church's offered them pre the acquisition by Prada. In addition, it's not like they offer shoes only in polished binder. They actually provide a wider choice to consumers, some of whom would appreciate the easy upkeep of polished binder, as a previous post pointed out

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zapasman, are you shure about that : "they are manufactured by Cheaney in England under the supervision of Mr. Church". I will appreciate more information. Best
Yes I am.

Polished Binder is a great corrected grain. It comes from Picusa (Spain), one of the largest taneries in Europe.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes I am.  

Polished Binder is a great corrected grain.  It comes from Picusa (Spain), one of the largest taneries in Europe.

Well, I guess it comes down to whether you like full grain or corrected. Because if you don't like corrected grain, it doesn't matter if they use "great corrected grain". Often times, leather is corrected because the quality of the leather is so poor that it has to be buffed down.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess it comes down to whether you like full grain or corrected. Because if you don't like corrected grain, it doesn't matter if they use "great corrected grain". Often times, leather is corrected because the quality of the leather is so poor that it has to be buffed down.
I have a pair of Grafton shoes and a pair of Ketsby boots both Polished Binder. I use them for pub crawl and those kind of events
smile.gif
. They need no much care at all (damp cloth and brush). Both, leather and leather treatment (patent leather) are great. Wrinkles are great. You pay the price for that leather and that leather treatment (check the web site of Picusa). People say Churchs shoes are too expensive for what you get, but I am very please with my two pairs.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Graftons are among my favorite pair of shoes and I have many pairs of shoes and boots by UK, Italian, French, US, and Bavarian makers. Church's custom grade line is top notch. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. You may decide that you do not like some of their styles, but be assured the Custom Grade make is terrific.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads