• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church attire?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys would consider appropriate attire to wear to church. Am I the only out there that still wears a suit and tie, or are there still others who recognizes the importance of looking presentable in the house of the lord? I hope I am not alone but I have noticed over the years that the attire has become more casual between the men and women. i have noticed a lot less ties and a lot more polos. what really upsets me is when the boys are all suited up for communion and the ftahers dressed less then so. I find that to be insulting and I feel embarassed for them as well.I find it refreshing when I do see a tie here and there but they are becomming far and few. At least I know I will find three between my sons and I. I cna't help but wonder though what triggered this lacklustered efforts in churc attire. To spare you the further ramblings of myself, I will let you comment on the issue.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit and tie always. You must show honor to God. What respect does it show if you wear just any old thing you feel like? I find it disgusting to see a man or woman wearing shorts and a tshirt into a church.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm going to church, people better get dressed up for it
wink.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contactme_11
I find it disgusting to see a man or woman wearing shorts and a tshirt into a church.

Agreed, shorts and a T shirt is highly inappropriate for Church.

I wear a suit and tie, but I also feel a Blazer, or and odd coat and tie is fine. Even a nice coat and dress pants without a tie is OK.

Unless you are talking about a very stuffy Church there will probably be some members that just don't wear suits.

I'm Jewish but I've been to many Churches here in Houston, from the Episcopal Church in River Oaks to Black Baptist Churches in the wards. And the super Churches too.

And while there is a higher proportion of men in suit and tie in some of the Churches, none of them have 100% of the men in suit and tie.

Same for Synagogues, though I will say that the % of men in suit and tie was highest in the Synagogue near Rice U.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I wear a suit and tie, but I also feel a Blazer, or and odd coat and tie is fine.
I agree.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have to show respect to God by wearing a tie or would it be better to show him humility?

I can see different point of view in all options....

I 'm not a great Churchgoer therefore i will not cast the first stone but it is strange to see people wearing their best clothes to go to Church...

If you do it out of respect ..Great....
If you do it out of self-promotion and egomania...Not so great.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit surprised sport coat and tie wasn't mentioned as an option. Probably how I would dress should I ever resume regular churchgoing. At the two churches nearest my house, coat/blazer with an open-necked shirt seems to be a common look at the UCC church. At the RC Church, it's "anything goes."

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I agree and think that a suit is most important. But I can also see how some people see it as unnecessary.

Interesting to me, though, is that the OP didn't capitalize the word God in the poll or the house of the Lord in the post. Seems as someone who gets so upset about people not respecting God by dressing up for church, you'd want to show more respect by addressing Him properly.

mhdena

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Do you have to show respect to God by wearing a tie or would it be better to show him humility?

I can see different point of view in all options....

I 'm not a great Churchgoer therefore i will not cast the first stone but it is strange to see people wearing their best clothes to go to Church...

If you do it out of respect ..Great....
If you do it out of self-promotion and egomania...Not so great.

There was a time back in the day when going to church meant
Sunday Best
Sunday going to meeting clothes
you get the idea

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Last time I was in a church I wore a black vintage sport jacket, medium gray cotton poplin dress pants, chelsea boots, a white spread collar dress shirt and a vintage BB tie about 2.5" wide. I think I was getting hit on by the ladies at the pot luck. They gave me extra Jello salad.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately they were married. For 40 years.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear a suit and a tie, or a sportcoat/blazer and tie.

neyus

Reaction score
I think you need to dress as others do. I've been to a few different churches and they all tend to dress a little differently. Some of the Pentecostal and Roman Catholic churches are quite relaxed, with some members of the congregation even wearing shorts. I think a bare minimum for me is at least slacks or jeans. I've been to Latter-day Saint meetings and they tend to wear as a basic minimum dress shirt, and tie. I do believe in the concept of showing respect to Deity and Church Leaders, as well as other members of the congregation, but it needs to be within reason. Otherwise some people get the impression you are prideful or not going to church for worship, but simply to dress up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads