• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Party Attire (suit)

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WHOAH! Jorkee, is that the bottom button I see done up on your jacket? No. Absolutely not. Never. Best way to look like you never wear a suit is to do up all the buttons.

Seems some were so blinded by their hatred of black suits, that they failed to notice.

Last edited:

jorkee

Reaction score
WHOAH! Jorkee, is that the bottom button I see done up on your jacket? No. Absolutely not. Never. Best way to look like you never wear a suit is to do up all the buttons.

Depends on the pic. Some were because I wasn't wearing pants, and the rest were just sheer ignorance.

It's funny because I actually knew that and followed it at one point, but the last time I wore a suit was June, and apparently I momentarily forgot. Noted... again.

In case my second part question got lost in the sea of quotes and my blissful ignorance, is there a good alternative to the black tie to make sure I don't look like hired help if I decide to take my jacket off? Burgundy tie maybe?

AwfullyNiceGuy

Reaction score
Or do not take off the jacket, I do not know what kinda physical shenanigans you will be getting yourself into, but generally attempt to leave it on for as long as bearable. When wearing a suit or a odd jacket with odd trousers you normally don't have to consider what you look like without the jacket, because the shirt is considered a undergarment, and as such you would be half way naked without your jacket.. I do know that in reality many people will loosen ties and leave jackets on chairs as a night progress, but if your concerned with the way you look try to minimize your no-jacket exposure... IMO
rolleyes.gif

jorkee

Reaction score
I imagine I won't be doing any rock climbing or bull fighting at this party, but as a general rule the more alcohol I consume the more vigorous my dancing gets, so who knows what shenanigans I'll get into. I'll make it a point to try and keep the jacket on. I also just realized how awkward it's going to look if I'm running around with a semi see-through white dress shirt anyway; as I'm fairly heavily tattooed.

Last edited:

Taylorstav

Reaction score
At least your in oil and gas.

I'm in the finance industry with two full sleeves.

Embrace the ink! Lol

jorkee

Reaction score
At least your in oil and gas.

I'm in the finance industry with two full sleeves.

Embrace the ink! Lol

Yeah Oil and Gas in Alberta is a pretty lenient industry that's for sure. I think they're just appreciative if people can walk upright and suffer from substance abuse seasonally instead of year round.

jorkee

Reaction score
Yeah by the time mine is done my dress shirt won't hide it 100% either. I just need to find a way to hide the tear drop prison tats on my face now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads