• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chelsea/ ankle boots

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bryce330

Reaction score
Have you looked at Yoox yet? There's a pretty good variety of chelsea-type boots on there right now in the Fall/Winter section. I think the only Gucci boots they have are brown but they have some very nice Prada ($250-300) and Miu Miu ($150-180) styles in black.

naturlaut

Reaction score
I personally would never dream of getting a pair of Chealsea boots anywhere outside England.

Call up Dunhill for Poulsen Skone's version of the Chealsea boots which are made by Edward Green. Their original price is $695, but should be around $295 on sale now, and will guarantee last longer than any Gucci or Ferragamo. Cedar trees will be an additional $15 (only.). Too bad they are not boot trees.

The last is a rounder version of 808, kind of like 202 but not as pointed. (By the way, anyone here like the new last 888?)

There are others, but I think this is the best deal.

Naturlaut

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Naturlaut's Poulsen & Skone idea sounds great - if you can get a pair for $295 then go for it. I've been meaning to order a pair of R.M Williams Chelsea boots for some time. They come highly recommended. You can find them here: R.M. Williams Dress Boot According to a friend of mine the quality is absolutely tops and he says they arrived VERY quickly as well. For a bit less you can get them in kangaroo which is supposed to be the most elastic hide of all. At $190-$230 I wouldn't hesitate to try a pair. Perhaps Nick M could comment as it's likely that he's seen them before. Also, here are versions by: Crockett & Jones Grenson Trickers A friend of mine has a pair of the Grensons and he loves them. The shape of their toe is very nice.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the R.M. Williams Chelsea boot because it's the only wholecut model on the market. One piece of leather with just a seam at the back.This is a very wasteful and expensive way of cutting the uppers. Everybody else's models employ additional seams at the bottom end of the elastic. Williams has also a quite chunky toe, unlike some Italian numbers which can be quite p***elegant. But I suppose that's a matter of taste.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it's the only wholecut model on the market.
Thanks for pointing that out . I hadn't noticed. As to the toe shape - which model or models are you referring to? They have a variety of toe shapes. Is the toe on the dress boots still chunky? I've only seen pictures so I can't comment on this. You can see the different models here

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was just looking at the site selling the R.M. Williams boots again. The have pictures of the different toe shapes, heel shapes and leather colors that are very helpful. They also have a made-to-order service and there is no mention of an extra charge.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I have a pair of pointed toed Bally chelsea boots. I absolutely love them.

timekeeping

Reaction score
RM Williams are very popular among Australians. Many wear them with suits at work.

As bengal-stripe said, the whole cut is a rather elaborate construction but it ensure comfort. The seam in the bottom can sometimes rub against the foot and cause irration.

I have a pair of the craftsmen model from factory seconds in chestnut colour and can't be happier. They ain't Paulson Skone or Edward Green but still quite nice and causal.

I believe RM, like Allen Edmonds, offer a re-crafting service. I have not had the chance to try it out yet but they have a reputation of standing by their products.

itzamazing

Reaction score
Barneys NY (The NYC location) is having their summer sale right now (up to 75% off). I went today and saw a great pair of Ferragamo shoes similar to the ones that you are interested, originally $400 something marked down to $210. Too bad my size was gone.
You may have some luck there as many of their shoes, clothes and bags are marked down heavily right now.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
best deal i've found is $300, incl shipping, for crockett and jones chelsea boots (www.plal.com) anything beat that?

naturlaut

Reaction score
I like the R.M. Williams Chelsea boot because it's the only wholecut model on the market. One piece of leather with just a seam at the back.This is a very wasteful and expensive way of cutting the uppers. Everybody else's models employ additional seams at the bottom end of the elastic. Williams has also a quite chunky toe, unlike some Italian numbers which can be quite p***elegant. But I suppose that's a matter of taste.
I think there are others who make a whotecut Chealsea --- can't think of which one off my head, but there are. Also, I think there's a reason why there is a seam under the elastic.

Naturlaut

ulf

Reaction score
I used to have a great pair of RM Williams, had them for 8 years I think. They were getting worn so I threw them away when I was moving to another country...

Just treat them with care and they will look good and last for a long time.

ulf

Reaction score
Williams has also a quite chunky toe, unlike some Italian numbers which can be quite p***elegant. But I suppose that's a matter of taste.
Did you notice that they have quite a few models out there? They've been around for some decades and can provide anything from dressy to rain forest, I suppose.

I certainly never bought anything chunky from them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads