• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

Hobbstc

Reaction score
Those are my measurements and most slim fit OTR shirts in the market aren't baggy at all, even taking into account that I have wider hips than usual. CT extra slim doesn't even fit. 15.5" neck. Do you happen to have a wider neck?

Yes, I do have a wider neck. I ordered the 16.5/35 extra slim fit and like I said everything looks great, I just get a little tug on the upper back sometimes that I've never gotten with other slim shirts. Just wondering if that was normal with CT shirts.

DWRR

Reaction score
The CT 'cutaway collars' will give you the same look as above. If you buy the 'classic collars' they will be too pointed for your liking.

Bexcellence

Reaction score
I own the CT spread collar and I dont think they are that white. Im wondering if the "extreme" spread will be the better option?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I own the CT spread collar and I dont think they are that white. Im wondering if the "extreme" spread will be the better option?

Their extreme cutaway is close to 180 degrees. If you like that look, it's worth picking up one.

dustygator

Reaction score
bloody hell people, if you either want a skin tight shirt or you are that oddly shaped/skinny that even ESF shirts are too large/don't fit, gather up your big boy pants and go MTM or have the shirts tailored.

Complaining that no OTR shirt has a 7 drop or a 26" waist is equivalent to mental masturbation.

If you label a shirt as being extra slim, I expect more than a 2-3" drop, which is what CT ESF shirts are.

In my mind

Regular fit = 0-1 inch drop
Slim fit = 2-3 inch drop
Extra slim fit = 4-6 inch drop

Not to mention the fact that the 15 neck shirts have a 38 inch waist (measured 20cm below armhole). Usually I like my shirts to have 3-4 inches of "room". That would mean I would need a 34" waist. And this is their second smallest size in their slimmest fit.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bloody hell people, if you either want a skin tight shirt or you are that oddly shaped/skinny that even ESF shirts are too large/don't fit, gather up your big boy pants and go MTM or have the shirts tailored.

Complaining that no OTR shirt has a 7 drop or a 26" waist is equivalent to mental masturbation.

Haha, my thoughts exactly. Anyone who says CT ESF isn't slim enough must be thinner than a starving Ethiopian, or has fallen too hard for fashunz and wants dat painted-on look...

Looking at their size chart for a 16.5, for example, shows a chest of 44 and a waist of 42. In what world is that considered "extra slim?"

If you label a shirt as being extra slim, I expect more than a 2-3" drop, which is what CT ESF shirts are.

In my mind

Regular fit = 0-1 inch drop
Slim fit = 2-3 inch drop
Extra slim fit = 4-6 inch drop

Not to mention the fact that the 15 neck shirts have a 38 inch waist (measured 20cm below armhole). Usually I like my shirts to have 3-4 inches of "room". That would mean I would need a 34" waist. And this is their second smallest size in their slimmest fit.

Let me guess, you guys want your shirts to fit like this:

Get real! That looks terrible and is totally unrealistic anyway.

A couple relevant posts from my favorite men's style blog, that last one posted just today:

http://putthison.com/post/39574940145/sit-down-in-your-shirt-when-out-trying-on
http://putthison.com/post/22988829632/our-friend-mistah-wong-demonstrates-what-clean
http://putthison.com/post/46346318151/lower-your-tie-clip-i-like-this-photograph-of

Last edited:

Garasaki

Reaction score
Significant drop is a sign of good fitness.

I laughed when reading some of those blog posts about trying on a shirt, and sitting down.

If your shirt buttons become strained when you sit down, maybe you should start eatting salads instead of cheeseburgers, eh???

Hobbstc

Reaction score
Yes, I do have a wider neck. I ordered the 16.5/35 extra slim fit and like I said everything looks great, I just get a little tug on the upper back sometimes that I've never gotten with other slim shirts. Just wondering if that was normal with CT shirts.

So I think I figured out my issue. The back seam length is actually longer than my current shirts. The binding issue is that the sleeve joint is only 10.5" whereas my other dress shirts are 11". That extra half inch means the world to my arm movement. Everything else fits fine, it just binds my arms. Going to half to return these unfortunately. Des anyone know how that will work since I used a groupon for $100 of the $200? Will I get $100 in cash and a $100 credit?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA

Am I late to the party? Living Social currently has a $25 for $50 worth of credit or $50 for $100 worth of credit.

There is also a $5 off coupon floating around, so effectively $20 for $50 or $45 for $100.
Shipping is pretty much a flat rate, so it isnt advantageous to sign up for the smaller deals.

Garasaki

Reaction score
They do have the site configured so that you can't use the living social deal for the 39.50 shirts.

However, they do allow the 4 for 200 deal from the living social money, so you can do 4 for 100 bucks basically (I think), which makes it 25 a shirt probably with more selection.

I wish I had that CT shirt I ordered in hand so I could decide if I love it (and should jump on this) or not....

allysan1027

Reaction score

They do have the site configured so that you can't use the living social deal for the 39.50 shirts.

However, they do allow the 4 for 200 deal from the living social money, so you can do 4 for 100 bucks basically (I think), which makes it 25 a shirt probably with more selection.

I wish I had that CT shirt I ordered in hand so I could decide if I love it (and should jump on this) or not....

I don't think you can use two of the LS deals in the same transaction.

So basically its 4 for 150, no tie, vs 4 for 160, with a tie.

Garasaki

Reaction score
Yep you right

Limit 1 per transaction

Not as appealing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads