• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a bad deal for a tie and a shirt, picked another one up.  Although... I would never pay $100 for the knit tie I chose.  Is CT just in a perpetual state of sale?  I assume they are since their shirts, while a good deal for $50, are not worth anywhere near $160.

You hit the nail on the head. They may have a few days when they sell at retail (maybe especially with catalog sales), but they are almost always on some kind of sale. They give you a great dress shirt for $40-$50 but there is no way I would ever pay full retail for them. Hell, I could get a great MTM shirt from Hemrajani for less than CT "full retail." As long as you think of them as a $40-$50 shirt that punches above its weight and that is a respectable wadrobe staple for that price, you're fine.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is CT just in a perpetual state of sale?

Pretty much, and it's the one thing that really irks me about Charles Tyrwhitt. I don't think I've ever seen their "normal" (i.e. $160 per shirt) prices actually in effect, and would of course never pay such ridiculous amounts for their products. CT stuff is a good value at their "sale" prices, which essentially are their normal prices. I abhor this type of marketing, especially as it is very reminiscent of Jos. A. Bank, a rather hated brand around here. Do CT and JAB really think they're fooling anyone? Maybe once in a blue moon, a first time customer stumbles across a >50% "sale" from one of these brands and thinks they're getting a good deal, but would CT and JAB really be that much worse off if they just did the honest thing and priced their items normally?

Not a bad deal for a tie and a shirt, picked another one up.

Anyone care to comment on the quality of CT ties? I have one on the way that was free with my recent purchase of 4 shirts, but it was sent separately from the shirts which I already received, as apparently the tie was on back order at the time. I chose this navy textured tie. Can never have enough solid navy ties. :slayer: I doubt I'd ever actually buy a CT tie, but hey, this one was free.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty much, and it's the one thing that really irks me about Charles Tyrwhitt. I don't think I've ever seen their "normal" (i.e. $160 per shirt) prices actually in effect, and would of course never pay such ridiculous amounts for their products. CT stuff is a good value at their "sale" prices, which essentially are their normal prices. I abhor this type of marketing, especially as it is very reminiscent of Jos. A. Bank, a rather hated brand around here. Do CT and JAB really think they're fooling anyone? Maybe once in a blue moon, a first time customer stumbles across a >50% "sale" from one of these brands and thinks they're getting a good deal, but would CT and JAB really be that much worse off if they just did the honest thing and priced their items normally?

I see your point, but I don't think comparing JAB to CT is entirely fair as most of the CT products I've seen are far superior to their JAB counterparts. As long as I know what the value of their product is, I don't mind buying their shirts for $40-$50 a pop and knowing that I'm getting a decent value for their "sale" price. The key in most cases is to be an educated consumer.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see your point, but I don't think comparing JAB to CT is entirely fair as most of the CT products I've seen are far superior to their JAB counterparts. As long as I know what the value of their product is, I don't mind buying their shirts for $40-$50 a pop and knowing that I'm getting a decent value for their "sale" price. The key in most cases is to be an educated consumer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not equating the quality of CT products with that of JAB's, I'm merely pointing out their similar (deceptive) marketing tactics. I agree with you: CT shirts are a good value and decent quality at the $40-$50 price range, and I don't mind giving them my business at all at such prices.

Last edited:

biged781

Reaction score
received, as apparently the tie was on back order at the time. I chose this navy textured tie. Can never have enough solid navy ties.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I doubt I'd ever actually buy a CT tie, but hey, this one was free.

Same tie I chose
cheers.gif

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so does CT shirts get any cheaper than 39$??
Only during clearance sales, and only on some shirts. I've seen a few at $29 or even $25, though the ones priced this low tend to be ones they are having a hard time selling. More often than not, they are ugly, or at least very loud. You are not likely to find a staple like the sky blue poplin shirt in the clearance sales.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CT ties aren't bad. They tend to be of the heavy English woven variety, you'll look in vain for a Drakes-type 50oz print, for example. But if you like the look of them, and if you can get the multi-buy option, I think they are quite good value.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As are most silk ties, really. This forum has fostered a love for non-silk (wool, cashmere, etc.) ties and matte silk finishes (grenadine, knit), but ties from upmarket English brands (T&A, H&K) are equally shiny.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My main complaint against CT ties is that they are very shiny/reflective.

As are most silk ties, really. This forum has fostered a love for non-silk (wool, cashmere, etc.) ties and matte silk finishes (grenadine, knit), but ties from upmarket English brands (T&A, H&K) are equally shiny.

Ah, that's disappointing to hear about the shininess. I definitely have an affinity for matte silk finishes... don't know if this forum is to blame for that or not. ;)

Oh well, the tie was free and I'm sure I'll get some use out of it nonetheless.

Last edited:

allysan1027

Reaction score
40 dollar shirts + a free tie is a pretty good solid deal.

now if only they would honor that deal in store so I wouldn't have to pay shipping and wait two weeks...

LEgoiste

Reaction score
40 dollar shirts + a free tie is a pretty good solid deal.

now if only they would honor that deal in store so I wouldn't have to pay shipping and wait two weeks...

They actually have similar deals in-store. But, only for corporate members. My company's employees are usually given a 4 shirts or ties for $160 deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads