• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual shoes with dress pants

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't do casual very well. in fact, for casual days, i wear dress pants, with a casual shirt and camper lace-up boots or my awful clarks (which i'm throwing out). i just don't feel comfortable in jeans, or chinos, or khakis. anyone have an idea of some casual shoes that would go with dress pants?

here's one example: several years ago i visited london and saw two guys wearing doc martens with suits. i liked the look, but i don't care for doc martens on me, so that's not an option. this is where i got the idea of wearing the campers.

any advice would be appreciated.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan bucks White bucks (in the Summer) Hunting shoes
gokey.jpg
Walking shoes
Walker.jpg
Chukka boots Other boots (Check out Alden of Carmel's selection) http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/ Kai

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try some chelsea, motocycle-inspired or equestrian inspired boots (the latter two will usually involve some type of strape and buckle). For a more casual feel, try rubber instead of leather soles. Despite all the protests against them on this forum, I maintain that the shape of Prada and Gucci (boot) lasts are much better for casual, modern use than a pair of Church's or Allen Edmonds, for example. If you want a more boho look, try Dries van Noten. If you are more edgy, try Costume National, Dolce & Gabbana, or Barbato (which always has some extreme shapes.)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry Kai, but I really think that those are some of the uglier shoes I've seen recently, especially the hunting shoes. They are clumsy looking, have pedestrian colorways, and just generally look cheap.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry Kai, but I really think that those are some of the uglier shoes I've seen recently, especially the hunting shoes. They are clumsy looking, have pedestrian colorways, and just generally look cheap.

Both are handsewn. Both are available in bespoke lasts and a custom fit. Both are made from top quality leather. Both are supremely comfortable. Both will last a lifetime given proper care. Neither is cheap.

To me, they are perfect with a pair of cords, a button down shirt, and a sweater or shearling jacket. Sorry you don't like them. Different people have different tastes. That's a good thing.

Kai

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, they are perfect with a pair of cords, a button down shirt, and a sweater or shearling jacket. Sorry you don't like them. Different people have different tastes. That's a good thing.

Fair enough, and my apologies for sounding a little shrill and, well, bitchy. Apparently men have a "time of month" as well. Apparently, the New England weather is leaching all the laid-back, everything-is-good, California attitude from my bones.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the responses. i'm going to look around this weekend. the shoes kai suggested are a bit on the conservative side for me, but i kind of like the balck ones, a little. i'm still not quite sure what it is i'm looking for, except that i want rubber soles.

i'll let you guys know what i find.

MPS

Reaction score
Try:

Paraboot
Russell and Bromley (they currently have some cool upmarket trainers and a very stylish update on the Chelsea)
Oliver Sweeney
Tim Little
RM Williams

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Michael Toschis and Terra Planas are cool, too...

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks to everyone for the help.

i looked at the michael toschi website and like some of the designs, but i'm turned off by the little yellow logo they put on all the shoes.

terra planas are not my style. i was very impressed by the look of the paraboots. i've emailed them for a retail location in los angeles. hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

a question for la guy: can you recommend a shoe store here in l.a.? i've narrowed it down to black shoes (not boots) with rubber soles. i went shopping yesterday in the beverly center and vicinty, but found the same shoes at every store: kenneth cole, johnston & murphy, bally,  boss...  the other stores had really trendy and/or cheap looking stuff.

also, i found a pair of donald j. pliner dress slip-ons that i like a lot. they didn't have my size however. anyone familiar with this brand? the label says "made in the mountains of italy." the leather was very soft.

ulf

Reaction score
Paraboot is a good choice if you ask me. They are classic and good quality which will last for years. I have several pairs myself.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoes in L.A.: I find that Barney's and Saks on Wilshire always have reasonable selections, as does the Rodeo Drive Ferragamo store, which carries a larger selection of styles than are available at your typical Nordstroms. You might want to peek into Gucci and Prada too, just to see what there is.

mbc

Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of these in brown: http://www.kennethcole.com/scripts....umbnail (not quite as shiny in person as in the picture, a little more rugged looking in person) I'm not sure how well they'd go with dress pants, but they go great with khakis/chinos and so on, if you ever decide to go that route.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd like to thank everyone for their advice on this, and i've decided to order a pair of paraboots. i say order, because apparently there are only three stores in california that carry them; 2 in san francisco, one being wilkes-bashford, and 1 here in l.a., village footwear on larchmont. v.f. specializes in comfort shoes, and they don't carry the models i'm interested in, but they told me they will order what i like from the catalog, and the shoes will arrive in two weeks. prices range from $165-$275. they feature a norwegian welt which makes the shoes waterproof, at least to your ankle.

p.s.
i wanted to post pictures of the two models i like, but i can't figure out how to do this. (there doesn't seem to be a direct url) some advice would be appreciated. is there a way to upload pictures from my computer if i don't have a website?

BjornH

Reaction score
There is always a direct url. Try right-clicking the picture and select 'properties' from the bottom of the menu. You should be able to see the url in the window. Copy it and use it for a image link on the board.

B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads