• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows where I can get something like this cardigan from Colhay's? I think this kind of trim around the collar is more common in tennis/cricket v-neck sweaters than cardigans?

Thinking about that one I linked, but usually I like my knitwear a bit loose (size 42) and it's out of stock. Maybe I can try 40, or find something else.
I've seen basically that exact sweater sold by Alex Pain before. They don't seem to have any at the moment, though.

White cotton option from Brooks Brothers if you're not married to navy wool.

epsilon22

Reaction score
I've seen basically that exact sweater sold by Alex Pain before. They don't seem to have any at the moment, though.

White cotton option from Brooks Brothers if you're not married to navy wool.

Thanks, I think I prefer navy as the dominant color, but I'll consider that BB cardigan. Not exactly a must-buy-now either, just something that caught my eyes while browsing.

ianskelly

Reaction score
Hi all , after the bit of disappointment with Berk this week I am looking to possibly buy a john laing crewneck , does anyone know of any stockists? I did email them last week but they could not be arsed emailing me back...

happydayz1

Reaction score
Hi all , after the bit of disappointment with Berk this week I am looking to possibly buy a john laing crewneck , does anyone know of any stockists? I did email them last week but they could not be arsed emailing me back...
Try Monaghans. They have a few round and v neck left on sale. The stock isn’t online so you’ll need to contact them via phone / Instagram to check remaining colours and sizes.

ianskelly

Reaction score
Try Monaghans. They have a few round and v neck left on sale. The stock isn’t online so you’ll need to contact them via phone / Instagram to check remaining colours and sizes.
Cheers for the recommend any idea on price ( roughly) and STUPID question but as they are in Dublin and I am
In England will there be any taxes / additional costs ?

happydayz1

Reaction score
No worries. If I recall correctly, the 3 ply they had, very similar in weight and fit to your 2 ply Lockie made for William Crabtree, were retailing at around €480 and there was circa 30-50% off on the remaining stock. Relative bargain.

Not sure on taxes and customs to be honest. Would need to check if they ship VAT free and then you’d pay local rate of VAT of 20% in the UK.

ianskelly

Reaction score
No worries. If I recall correctly, the 3 ply they had, very similar in weight and fit to your 2 ply Lockie made for William Crabtree, were retailing at around €480 and there was circa 30-50% off on the remaining stock. Relative bargain.

Not sure on taxes and customs to be honest. Would need to check if they ship VAT free and then you’d pay local rate of VAT of 20% in the UK.
Excellent many thanks!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How does current Begg compare to Brunello Cucinelli / Loro Piana? Trying to decide where to spend my cashmere bucks :)

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does current Begg compare to Brunello Cucinelli / Loro Piana? Trying to decide where to spend my cashmere bucks :)

They're all reputable makers, I would make my decision according to the style I'm seeking, more than the absolute quality, which will be mostly comparable, also for other brands, as William Lockie, Malo, Colombo, Fedeli, Agnona and others.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They're all reputable makers, I would make my decision according to the style I'm seeking, more than the absolute quality, which will be mostly comparable, also for other brands, as William Lockie, Malo, Colombo, Fedeli, Agnona and others.

I know they are all reputable. I’m asking for actual knowledge/experience comparing their quality. Put looks and style aside.

I have a dozen or so cashmere sweaters from Lockie, Laing, Johnstons, and Hawick. I’ve heard it said that Begg is the “best” of the current Scottish cashmere makers, but believe Scott & Charters (whom they own) makes all their stuff.

In general, Cucinelli seems to fit me the best, but the prices can be eye watering. Also, they almost never do a saddle shoulder. Loro Piana tends to fit less well—everything seems to be cut with a blousy torso to accommodate fat old guys.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know they are all reputable. I’m asking for actual knowledge/experience comparing their quality. Put looks and style aside.

I have a dozen or so cashmere sweaters from Lockie, Laing, Johnstons, and Hawick. I’ve heard it said that Begg is the “best” of the current Scottish cashmere makers, but believe Scott & Charters (whom they own) makes all their stuff.

In general, Cucinelli seems to fit me the best, but the prices can be eye watering. Also, they almost never do a saddle shoulder. Loro Piana tends to fit less well—everything seems to be cut with a blousy torso to accommodate fat old guys.

I agree with your consideration about Loro Piana, in spite of the outstanding quality, I never purchased anything from them. Unfortunately, I can't give you any recommendation about Begg, I only have some scarves.

Johnny80

Reaction score

Loro Piana is recognisable thanks to its yarn not to its artisans
If you put looks and style aside the breaking point for Begg is behind W Lockie and Laing while Hawico (if you talked about this and not other maker) is Scotlands best in general. Brunello C it depends of the garment yarn is using

Rowyourboat

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_8356.jpg
    IMG_8356.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 158

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads