• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

happydayz1

Reaction score
Are cashmere products manufactured directly in Inner Mongolia generally of inferior quality to those manufactured in Scotland and Italy (processes, machinery skilled labour etc etc)?

I picked up a cashmere roll neck from Boglioli (a reputable Italian menswear brand) which is labelled as being manufactured in Inner Mongolia and distributed by Boglioli.

Construction of the rollneck appears standard, with no apparent reinforced stitching etc, cashmere quality itself seems good though, tightly woven, nice hand feel (not overly soft) and very warm for whatever ply it is (2 ply I anticipate).

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are cashmere products manufactured directly in Inner Mongolia generally of inferior quality to those manufactured in Scotland and Italy (processes, machinery skilled labour etc etc)?

I picked up a cashmere roll neck from Boglioli (a reputable Italian menswear brand) which is labelled as being manufactured in Inner Mongolia and distributed by Boglioli.

Construction of the rollneck appears standard, with no apparent reinforced stitching etc, cashmere quality itself seems good though, tightly woven, nice hand feel (not overly soft) and very warm for whatever ply it is (2 ply I anticipate).

I would always prefer Scottish and Italian manufactury, also for ethical and political reasons, but it's known that the Chinese can also work well and many factories have achieved the needed know-how for producing decent cashmere knitwear.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wish i could comment on the quality aspect but i really dont feel qualified. however, if there are some pictures of the sweater that you guys want to see to make quality determinations, i can provide that.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wish i could comment on the quality aspect but i really dont feel qualified. however, if there are some pictures of the sweater that you guys want to see to make quality determinations, i can provide that.

I already said it, feel free to post what you like. Quality is important, but even more is the pleasure you take by wearing a garment you really like.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I already said it, feel free to post what you like. Quality is important, but even more is the pleasure you take by wearing a garment you really like.
oh yea, I like it. I post it cause I want to put the info out there for others to know what to expect.

whovertw

Reaction score
Does anyone know which manufacturer Emma Willis use for their Cashmere stuff?
Description from their site
"Our single-ply Cashmere Knitwear, knitted using traditional methods in the Scottish Borders using the highest quality raw cashmere, washed in the waters that run alongside the mill transforming it into a sublimely soft yarn"

ianskelly

Reaction score
"Our single-ply Cashmere Knitwear, knitted using traditional methods in the Scottish Borders using the highest quality raw cashmere, washed in the waters that run alongside the mill transforming it into a sublimely soft yarn"
Hi 6 months I got an Emma Willis jumper from mr Porter , really nice quality but the colour was not quite right for me, I emailed their customer service and they confirmed William lockie make them. Regards Ian

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi 6 months I got an Emma Willis jumper from mr Porter , really nice quality but the colour was not quite right for me, I emailed their customer service and they confirmed William lockie make them. Regards Ian

I took a look, they have a nice stock of polo sweaters in attractive colours. Curiously the smallest size is Medium. If they are made by William Lockie, can only be good quality. The prices are equivalent.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Della Ciana wool/cashmere blend rollneck jumper in navy blue, thick low-gauge knit.

20221213_114220.jpg
20221213_114253.jpg
20221213_114050.jpg

20221213_114405.jpg

It's a EU 48 size, 53 cm pit to pit. The best colour return is in the label picture.

EDIT: The fit is quite modern, snug with a rather short body. Don't know exactly, but think that the amount of cashmere increases noticeably the softness.

Last edited:

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drumohr. though it's italian now, this brand seems to remain scottish feeling. tight knitting and resembles "bare finish" with turnback cuffs.
IMG_2625 (2).JPG
IMG_2626 (2).JPG
IMG_2628 (2).JPG

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m down to my last five pieces of authentic (Scottish) Ballantyne. One is still in storage as it is an exact duplicate of the pictured ecru polo.

I assume there is no consensus but please correct me if there is: Who is currently producing cashmere that is closest to the Ballantyne quality?

A707D541-8A58-42B8-AF93-279515A4F97F.jpeg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m down to my last five pieces of authentic (Scottish) Ballantyne. One is still in storage as it is an exact duplicate of the pictured ecru polo.

I assume there is no consensus but please correct me if there is: Who is currently producing cashmere that is closest to the Ballantyne quality?

View attachment 1868015

Very nice pieces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads