• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harley shetland vee neck jumper, not remembering the colour's name.

20221216_141018.jpg
20221216_141025.jpg
20221216_141038.jpg
20221216_141044.jpg

It's an M size, 57 cm pit to pit (vs the 53 cm of the lambswool jumper previously posted). Pretty loose (so-called traditional) fit, tubular construction. The touch is quite different compared to the one of geelong lambswool, pretty dry and less supple.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
At those prices it should be at least decent quality, even though you pay of course for the name too. The garments are made in Italy, but don't know by whom. Maybe @johnny80 can provide some information?

Zegna provides the yarns and makes TF cashmere

Johnny80

Reaction score
At those prices it should be at least decent quality, even though you pay of course for the name too. The garments are made in Italy, but don't know by whom. Maybe @johnny80 can provide some information?
In general the Made in Italy garments for Tom Ford are provided by/from Zegna
Tom Ford garments compared to the most of the italians have a more loose sleeves and neck , more room to its shoulders and length is fit true to it size. This should be for normal/fitted builds with wide shoulders and a more heavier/bulkier arms than normal. I would not recommended for slim fits build, maybe only with a shirt, t-shirt underneath
Edit: sorry that i didnt already saw that somebody else already answer to this
At that price buy this only if you really love everything about it and the fit is on point, otherwise there are other, better garments in that price segment

Last edited:

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A more intel-generating question might be: "which Co. is the maker of Tom Ford cashmere sweaters?".

Then, perhaps, you would be able to make an informed decision my dear fellow, and we would be wiser by 1milmil.

Best,

Dimitris

I thought Zegna made Tom Ford clothing to Couture standards.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
I thought Zegna made Tom Ford clothing to Couture standards.

the tailoring (and cloths) too, in case someone was wondering, the couture line is 80% handmade

here's a short list of their contract manufacturers (may or may not be up to date)

suits, knitwear - Zegna
shoes - Sassetti
beauty - Estee Lauder
watch straps - Camille Fournet
underwear - Albisetti
eyewear - Marcolin
watches - Bedrock

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ballantyne (made in Italy) cashmere jumper, buttoned mock collar, in bright orange.

20221220_111114.jpg
20221220_111142.jpg
20221220_111157.jpg
20221220_111208.jpg
20221220_111239.jpg
20221220_111342.jpg
20221220_110916.jpg

It's EU 50 size, 54 cm pit to pit. It's a quite boxy fit, see the straight side seam, and I style it over shirts, rather than on its own.
It's about ten years old, probably not the same quality of the old made in Scotland Ballantynes, but pretty good though, minimal pilling and consistent touch, anything but the oversoft modern knit.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
William lockie camel hair, size 40o_O. Gonna have to get something in cashmere at some point. starting with a ribbed dark natural scarf, gotta start somewhere.

And if you don't see me, I wish you all happy holidays. View attachment 1870269

Very nice. Are they horn buttons instead of the typical leather ones?

Thanks for the greetings, happy holidays to you as well!

msimon

Reaction score
Very nice. Are they horn buttons instead of the typical leather ones?

Thanks for the greetings, happy holidays to you as well!

They are the typical leather buttons, they come up looking small on the camel, perhaps the colour changes ones perception.

And can now confirm that the camel from WL are cut fuller especially in the arm holes but the drape of the camel gives it a stylish look and because of this, I don't think the same could be said about there v and crewneck, which would be better left more tailored.

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
Since this thread has evolved past the whole brand hierarchy thing, I'd like to ask for some help with the William Lockie cardigan I just received. The collar is twisted for some reason and won't sit right despite steaming and (lightly) pressing it flat with an iron. There's also what looks like a nick in the fabric (red arrow). Is there an easy fix to these defects or should I return it?
2.jpg
1.jpg

One last question: the pocket bags are only attached at the top and hang freely, which can be annoying as they sometimes hang lower than the front of the cardigan if you put something heavy in them like keys or coins. Is it a bad idea to stitch one corner of the pocket bags to the body of the cardigan as it's done on some models from other brands?
4.jpg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since this thread has evolved past the whole brand hierarchy thing, I'd like to ask for some help with the William Lockie cardigan I just received. The collar is twisted for some reason and won't sit right despite steaming and (lightly) pressing it flat with an iron. There's also what looks like a nick in the fabric (red arrow). Is there an easy fix to these defects or should I return it?
View attachment 1870551 View attachment 1870552

One last question: the pocket bags are only attached at the top and hang freely, which can be annoying as they sometimes hang lower than the front of the cardigan if you put something heavy in them like keys or coins. Is it a bad idea to stitch one corner of the pocket bags to the body of the cardigan as it's done on some models from other brands?
View attachment 1870561

I certainly would return it. I recently had a camel hair vee neck jumper that was strongly twisted. I wonder how can they let out such (evidently) flawed garments. Very poor quality control.

As for the pockets, I would not put something inside of them, as I consider them just an aesthetic feature, but if you instead see them as functional, it would be not wrong to stich them.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paxy