• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

dces

Reaction score
Back is finished , its 12 ply in the end and weights around 200 grams. It will be around 700-800 grams in the end…so almost 1kg 😂

0E9933C2-B7D8-4F22-8FE0-0622A8427559.jpeg 96FD26EF-AC9C-4C4D-B4BC-077192D5BEEA.jpeg

Jason12

Reaction score
What's the quality of Colhay's cashmere offerings?

The fit is slimmer and arms shorter than normal Scottish cashmere brands. A 2ply sweater weighs around 300g and is from Todd and Duncan. Had it for less than a year so can't say on longevity but it has a great feel that is soft but not too fine. Similar to Drake's scottish cashmere

Kirby Allison has a long video with the founder of Colhays, Ronnie Chiu going into detail about the make.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks really nice , when i've taken in shoulders i've done it from the sleeve cap $.02 .

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JamaisAssez

Reaction score
Organized the drawers today and wanted to share my personal holy grails.

6831F158-2A7F-4999-B507-62F740F9F36C.jpeg

The blue crewneck is from Prada Fall-Winter 2019, in chunky virgin wool and cashmere. The geometric intarsia is stunning and the colors are striking. The reverse shows the breathtaking workmanship.

The brown one was hand knit to my measurements by a woman in British Columbia, using 2 strands of 3-ply 100% undyed Qiviut yarn sourced from Nunavut. The knit is substantial and gives off a brown/grey hue under natural light. It is probably my softest and warmest jumper.

The pink one is a thick Hermès original, made in Scotland and weighing over two pounds. I reckon only quality white cashmere can be dyed into light pastel colors like this one. For reference, two comparison sideview photos show how beefy this jumper really is. The thin navy jumper is a 2-ply Loro Piana baby cashmere, and the thick navy one an Hermès 12-ply, gauge 5 knit I bought last winter (see post #550).

A word on storage: I handwash my knits every Spring, put them in zipped cotton sweater bags filled with lavender sachets, place them inside a box lined with freshly-sanded cedar planks, then store the box in another large zipped cotton storage bag intended for bedding or in a closed drawer filled with Irish Spring soap. Three levels of protection against moths.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the prada is really something ! the pink hermes shows machining which i'm not crazy about .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads