• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

epsilon22

Reaction score
I do embrace my inner profligate, too often. However for a scarf this is more than my limit.
Perhaps of interest, my most idiotic and expensive sartorial purchase was a Vicuña Chesterfield coat with detachable sheared mink lining. Near bowled me over when the account had to be paid!!!
Surely you don't think you can get away without sharing any pictures after saying this? :D

elysiumfield

Reaction score
Piacenza has this lovely stole for €1,500, the weight will be different, of course, but much more affordable.

View attachment 2230699

https://www.piacenzacashmere.com/products/stola-natural-in-vicuna-100-vicuna-piacenza-cashmere
Typically Piacenza’s vicuna products are priced around 50% of the equivalent from the bigger brands. So the Colombo scarf is priced really extreme, it must be either it’s very heavy or they applied some special techniques, probably both. Would be interesting to hear about the technique. Piacenza also has worsted vicuna fabric, so just worsted is not that special.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some shawl collar cardigans in the last season, after having skipped this style for years (I didn't find it attractive), but they are all wool or wool and cashmere blend.

Having long time considered this cashmere one from Colhay's, I finally orderd it (most of the sizes were sold out, but curiously my size was still available).

Screenshot (2136).png

I will report on arriving. Some styles have been restocked, not this one (yet?).

Rowyourboat

Reaction score
I bought some shawl collar cardigans in the last season, after having skipped this style for years (I didn't find it attractive), but they are all wool or wool and cashmere blend.

Having long time considered this cashmere one from Colhay's, I finally orderd it (most of the sizes were sold out, but curiously my size was still available).

View attachment 2231545

I will report on arriving. Some styles have been restocked, not this one (yet?).

I have the same one from Colhays and love the weight and warmth. Excited to wear it more this winter.

MrBlues

Reaction score
What’s the general consensus on Cucinelli 100% cashmere knits?

Egregiously overpriced yes, however, if purchased at a substantial discount (50%+ off), is it comparable to the likes of Colombo, JoE etc in terms of quality of fibres and construction for the price?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Egregiously overpriced yes, however, if purchased at a substantial discount (50%+ off), is it comparable to the likes of Colombo, JoE etc in terms of quality of fibres and construction for the price?

I don't own any knit piece from Cucinelli, but I think that their high quality is undisputed. If you can get something at that discount, it's also worth it.

For me it's more a question of style: I always found theirs a little boring.

elysiumfield

Reaction score

At least for knitwear I find Colombo to be better than BC. Don't have any experience about their woven fabrics.

Johnny80

Reaction score
CB Not just for knits is better...but for blazers as well...for me BC its mediocre in suits and blazers and shirts with prices of Isaia level, close to CA that are superior
BC its worth for knits and suede if you like the style

Last edited:

TheRolls321

Reaction score
With Fall around the corner I spent some time looking at my stashed away sweater collection, deciding what goes for new additions and what stays. Keeping only my SEH Kelly Shawl cardigans and the 100% cashmere sweaters. Of the 100% cash two are RLPL knits and one extra chunky Berluti turtleneck. I believe Berluti is made by LP but don't know who produces RLPL knits in Italy. Anyone have a clue?

In other news I pulled the trigger on a WL Windsor Cashmere Shawl Cardigan I saw on TRR for $135 and should come tomorrow. No size measurements listed other than "L" so a definitive roll of the dice. The first time I'll be handling WL Scottish Cashmere. Pretty excited.

TheRolls321

Reaction score
Alas, the size "L" was technically a size 40 which is too small for me. Luckily, it fits my Father's frame perfectly. Incredibly soft hand, a smidgens softer than the superfine lambswool I'm used to, but not by much. Beautiful color too.

Being able to compare build qualities and heft with WL and SEH Kelly, I'm scared that Paul has spoiled the idea of what a heavyweight shawl cardigan should be. May be springing for the PS Cashmere 12 ply edition if a lighter color is in the works. For now, I am eyeing more of Paul's shawls, with this year being a green/grey and brown/grey rendition.

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG
IMG_1104.JPG

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CB Not just for knits is better...but for blazers as well...for me BC its mediocre in suits and blazers and shirts with prices of Isaia level, close to CA that are superior
BC its worth for knits and suede if you like the style

cuci cashmere knits are legit quality

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being able to compare build qualities and heft with WL and SEH Kelly, I'm scared that Paul has spoiled the idea of what a heavyweight shawl cardigan should be. May be springing for the PS Cashmere 12 ply edition if a lighter color is in the works.

Interesting you mention the PS cardigan, it doesn’t seem to get much coverage on the forum. I just got this - it’s soft and thick, but not necessarily ‘heavyweight’. Some of that is the weight of cashmere yarn when compared to wool, but it’s also not as densely knitted as some of my older pieces.

IMG_5872.jpeg

happydayz1

Reaction score
Alas, the size "L" was technically a size 40 which is too small for me. Luckily, it fits my Father's frame perfectly. Incredibly soft hand, a smidgens softer than the superfine lambswool I'm used to, but not by much. Beautiful color too.

Being able to compare build qualities and heft with WL and SEH Kelly, I'm scared that Paul has spoiled the idea of what a heavyweight shawl cardigan should be. May be springing for the PS Cashmere 12 ply edition if a lighter color is in the works. For now, I am eyeing more of Paul's shawls, with this year being a green/grey and brown/grey rendition.

View attachment 2236097
View attachment 2236099
View attachment 2236101 View attachment 2236103
SEH Kelly construction quality on all pieces is excellent. Have also being eying up their shawl but the recent iteration appears a bit long for my preferences based on measurements.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiacharlotte