• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cartier vs Omega

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TAG Monaco has always been my favorite; Steve McQueen undoubtedly has influenced me.
But I've always had a soft spot Omega since my grandpa used to have one.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
I don't often see new Omega's that I like -- they seem to do mainly sport watches now -- but their vintage pieces are extremely understated and, particularly if you find one in near mint condition, extremely beautiful. Also, I'm not sure when this stopped, but I believe that even in the early 1960s Omega was still making their own movements, as opposed to using ETA. If money IS an object, you're much better off trying to find a near mint/mint vintage Omega.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Maybe even the penultimate classy watch...
rimshot.gif

ha haha

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
I don't often see new Omega's that I like -- they seem to do mainly sport watches now -- but their vintage pieces are extremely understated and, particularly if you find one in near mint condition, extremely beautiful. Also, I'm not sure when this stopped, but I believe that even in the early 1960s Omega was still making their own movements, as opposed to using ETA. If money IS an object, you're much better off trying to find a near mint/mint vintage Omega.

Omega still offers watches with non-ETA produced movements. This includes the in-house co-axial escapement movements as well as F.Piguet produced caliber 3301 and Lemania 5100 chronograph movements.

Cartier mostly uses basic ETA movements, except in their expensive and recently released Collection Privee. The Collection Privee uses movements supplied by JLC. JLC and Cartier (and a range of other watch brands) are owned by the Richemont Group.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
JLC and Cartier (and a range of other watch brands) are owned by the Richemont Group.
Including Vacheron Constantin, Lange & Söhne, Piaget, IWC and Panerai.

Richemont

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how much the cheapest Omega runs for?

You rez a thread from 2007 to ask that question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Any Omega? It's a no-brainer. Omega makes a rattrapante, a tourbillion, coaxial movements......I'm not aware that Cartier makes anything but nice jewelry with standard eta movements (I could be wrong about that, but I'm not aware).
No you're absolutely right. When it comes to horlogerie, Omega is far better than Cartier. They also use ETA movements, but I believe they are built following rigorous instructionds given by Omega.

You both couldn't be more wrong. It's amazing the uneducated +1s that exist.

http://www.qpmagazine.com/media/38864/QP24_Cartier.pdf

Last edited:

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You both couldn't be more wrong. It's amazing the uneducated +1s that exist.

http://www.qpmagazine.com/media/38864/QP24_Cartier.pdf

Wow - not sure how long ago I posted that... I have been far more educated since. Dino has shown us his Piaget-based Cartier; I understand they have used other high end movements as well as their own manufacture (which I don't really know much about in terms of quality). That's a serious necro-quote, though.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow - not sure how long ago I posted that... I have been far more educated since. Dino has shown us his Piaget-based Cartier; I understand they have used other high end movements as well as their own manufacture (which I don't really know much about in terms of quality). That's a serious necro-quote, though.

indeed, a necro from 2007 to ask about pricing... Ay yay yay

Yea Cartier make some great pieces if you know where to look. Their new in-house caliber has yet to be proven but early signs seem to be positive. I'm still of the camp that I'd prefer a movement from a reputable maker like Piaget rather than a new in-house but everyone has their preferences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads