• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@GreenFrog if it makes you feel any better, I'm probably looking at a new head gasket for my scooby. Womp.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Dat bumper to bumper warranty.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Scanner isn't going to tell you ****. It's going to give you a few codes which can mean anything under the dsc umbrella of codes. It won't give you a code that says your dsc module is bad.

They are basically used to interpret and then determine which part is faulty that is causing the dme to throw the codes. It's usually a multitude of codes as well.

If I recall correctly the modules were about 6-700 back in the day, probably more now.

Right. But like you said, it'll throw a combo of codes you can use to make an educated guess for what's wrong.

If I don't get any wheel speed sensors or **** like that and only DSC related codes, then, well, we know what's most likely wrong.

I want to rule out everything first.

Plus, I can use it to reprogram my car for things like auto locking the door and small, useful **** like that.

@GreenFrog
 if it makes you feel any better, I'm probably looking at a new head gasket for my scooby. Womp.

Solidarity.

Dat bumper to bumper warranty.

Silence, Leasebaire. The adults with real cars are discussing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Is anyone else a little giddy at the thought of this being a major expense?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's actually pretty fucked up if you really hope I get hit with a huge bill.

Lost some respect points.

1f612.png

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, it's not like I'm an adult or anything like that in your view...

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm more amused at the mental image of GF trying to self diagnose and repair his car

Lol I am too. Kinda nervous. But I do want to be more hands on with my car. I know I can do it if I have the right DIY guides and tools.

I just need to stop being so lazy and spend a weekend getting my hands dirty.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Its almost as though this entire scenario played out exactly as others predicted - what an entertaining adventure for us all.

Seriously though GF, for your sake, I hope it isn't too bad, but I'm putting over/under at $1000.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Will probably cost around 750-1000.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lol I am too. Kinda nervous. But I do want to be more hands on with my car. I know I can do it if I have the right DIY guides and tools.

Fast forward to 2024.

Presenter: In this episode we are going to rebuild GF's M3. So GF how long has it been sitting and what happened?
GF: It has been sitting since February '16, where it had a minor fault, which I decided to fix myself.
P: Hmm... So why is blocked up with the engine sitting on the floor?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never seen you write anything about doing stuff yourself, so would start with changing the filters and oil, then brake pads etc.
NOT with a repair, especially one that isn't diagnosed first.

Firefox

Reaction score
I thignk it comes all down to ride height. I had a marketing professor who said the same thing and asked the women of the MBA class, and it was almost unanimous they drove SUVs primarily due to ride height.

They're the most likely buyer of a wagon or hatch to use as the family car, do it makes sense that hatches and wagons aren't more popular. That and I think there is a cultural status thing with SUVs which is why vans have fallen out of favor.

All very good points.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like the coolant in the scooby was running low. Explains the heating up fast bit. I'd told the garage that changed the oil to check fluids, but apparently they couldn't be bothered to do so. I'd yell at them about it but I doubt they'd give a ****.

That said, with the coolant topped off, it was running way better. Still doesn't explain why it had dropped, so I guess the leak needs to be addressed, but hopefully it's not leaking around the head gasket.

Subaru had a 'fix' for the phase 2 SOHC engines which was to use coolant with an additive (rad weld?), but a mechanic I trust at home hates that stuff because he thinks that it clogs up older cars that might have some build up anyway. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but subaru recommends it. I guess I'd have to have it done at the dealer if I wanted to cover ****** about it? It would suck to have other stuff blow for a reason as dumb as that.

In any event, my dad drove up and swapped cars with me today since he had a day off so it'll get looked at and worked on while I'm taking finals next week and then I can go home and go grab it when I'm done in 2 weeks or whatnot.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to read the step by step progress updates from GF. I pulled some things out, but I might have damaged the security system, but at least the car won't start. Got the car running again, forgot to work on the security system. ****, it got stolen last night. Guys, thoughts on if I should file a police report?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads