• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI I got a small VW SUV in June, the Tiguan Diesel. Great little car, and I got it in "Match" format, so it had a few nice toys like auto-dimming mirrors, rain sensing wipers and touch screen nav. I also stumped up for the rear camera and auto park, though I don't use the parking system.

One thing - it's dull. It's not exiting to drive, look at or sit in, but they're bringing out a new model next year so the prices are rock bottom. I'm paying about $230 per month over 2 years with zero down.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If I needed a family hauler right now, the XC90 would be the top of the list for me.

They also released pics and specs along with all the tech goodies that will be available for their new S90 sedan as well. 3 engine choices topping off with a 407hp electric gas hybrid system.
I'm not much of a Volvo fan but I like the looks of the XC90; the S90, not so much.

Cao Cao

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
VW Tiguan. That's the one I want my wife to look at. It seemed like she was going to go the VW route until this whole emission issue. I told her it has nothing to do with that stupid car (I actually don't know) but she just lost trust in all VWs.

While I like my car and its power, it takes a toll on my pocket. But not to the degree of say a German car.
$60 bucks.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Leasing is a bad idea. you don't even have half the resale value when you are done. it is simply renting a car. you never own it. not a prudent financial move imho.

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

VW Tiguan. That's the one I want my wife to look at. It seemed like she was going to go the VW route until this whole emission issue. I told her it has nothing to do with that stupid car (I actually don't know) but she just lost trust in all VWs.

Smart woman. My wifes jetta hybrid spent 57 days in the shop for a f-ing key change (long story spare key was stolen, car needed rekeying. They sent programmers from mexico to try and figure it out). I dont trust vw at all. We are actually selling that pos (not its first problem). Couple that with the fact that it occured during the whole diesel thing and vw customer care giving us ZERO attention and I will never buy vw again.

Ymmv ;)

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the points have been covered. I don't think you need GAP insurance and BMW doesn't require it.

Also consider ED. You can get it for $500 above Euro wholesale. Even if all you do is set aside 2-3 days and get a coach ticket to Germany and drive it 10 miles and return it, you'll come out considerably ahead - especially on a lease since the residual is still based on US MSRP and you'll be going off something that is roughly 7% lower than US invoice.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While I like my car and its power, it takes a toll on my pocket. But not to the degree of say a German car.
$60 bucks.

Walmart sells that jug for $28.00. COSTCO sells 6 pack of Mobil 1 for $36.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had a fun little adventure last night. Been pretty sick and holed indoors, but had to go run some errands. Dark street and hit a curb at a weird traffic circle. Blew a tire and the rim was farked. Had to drive on the messed up wheel for a bit till I found a well lit parking lot so I could change it. City I'm in isn't all that safe so it was still sketch.

Went to a junkyard today and got 2 wheels so my spare is no longer a donut and got 2 decent used tires to tide me over till I have to replace all four wheels. I don't drive much and I have a spare set of wheels with snow tires (Dec- April use) so the used tires should last atleast 2 years with my mileage. The tread is worse than the ones already on there, but whatever... 250 bucks for 2 wheels, 2 tires mounted and balanced, and an oil change.

And then I realized while driving home that the check engine light came on after I got home last night (post boot, pre new wheels/tires). Now to go to autozone to figure that out. Ugh, I hope it's not an urgent issue. Might be a dud CC.

Last edited:

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of the points have been covered. I don't think you need GAP insurance and BMW doesn't require it.

Also consider ED. You can get it for $500 above Euro wholesale. Even if all you do is set aside 2-3 days and get a coach ticket to Germany and drive it 10 miles and return it, you'll come out considerably ahead - especially on a lease since the residual is still based on US MSRP and you'll be going off something that is roughly 7% lower than US invoice.

Do keep in mind you're making 1-2 payments during transit on a car that is not in your possession.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do keep in mind you're making 1-2 payments during transit on a car that is not in your possession.

BMW covers one of those payments, and I've never heard anyone's take more than 6 weeks. You do pay a slightly higher MF, but still come out ahead; it might be just barely on an X1 on though, still a free trip to the motherland. The X1 is made in Germany, so it would qualify. Just being devil's advocate. :devil:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I think that's a good deal from MSRP. I kinda like the Mercedes GLx more in that segment, but if you like the X1, go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads