• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
My locale leaves me little choice; Toyota, Ford, Chevy, or Jeep/Chrysler. I'd be interested in the Audi Q5, but I'm not driving 100+ miles every time I need service.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why couldn't you go to a private shop that's authorized to service Audis?

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Any thoughts on 2015 Chevy Tahoe? Looking at a base (LS) in silver and impressed so far. What's the word in its home country?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We'll be checking that out shortly, as we're evaluating vehicles in that size bracket with kid #3 on the way. Third row access is important as all 3 will be in car seats, so vehicles that offer second row captains chairs are potentials. In our case though, I'd be looking at a 2012 or 13 - not buying a new car that the kids will just destroy (and I'm 100% certain that they will). Current working list, in no particular order:

gmc acadia denali
buick enclave premium
infiniti jx35
acura mdx
gmc yukon denali
chevy tahoe ltz
toyota sequoia plat
mercedes gl450

Some may come right off the list once we see/drive, but we're trying to start with an open mind.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Any thoughts on 2015 Chevy Tahoe?  Looking at a base (LS) in silver and impressed so far.  What's the word in its home country?

I'm not sure if it's available on the Tahoe, might only be the Denali and the Escalade, but GM"s magnetic ride stabilization is impressive. You're never going to forget you're driving a truck but it's good.

We'll be checking that out shortly, as we're evaluating vehicles in that size bracket with kid #3 on the way. Third row access is important as all 3 will be in car seats, so vehicles that offer second row captains chairs are potentials. In our case though, I'd be looking at a 2012 or 13 - not buying a new car that the kids will just destroy (and I'm 100% certain that they will). Current working list, in no particular order:

gmc acadia denali
buick enclave premium
infiniti jx35
acura mdx
gmc yukon denali
chevy tahoe ltz
toyota sequoia plat
mercedes gl450

Some may come right off the list once we see/drive, but we're trying to start with an open mind.

Even with the lame engine the GL450 is the best on that list, and surprisingly, not the far and away most expensive. A nice Denali will be mid-70s, and as it's a new model, they're not discounting much.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Of those I've seen, the Sequoia Plat sounds good if you want the second row chairs - hell of an engine too. Forget the Acadia Denali - such a rip-off: unlike the Yukon and Sierra Denali editions, it's not a bigger engine, just a bunch of plastic **** glued on and a few logos, with the standard V6, same brakes, transmission, everything.

Basic Sequoia also on my list, along with Expedition and Patrol at the moment.

Edit: the magnetic ride is just on the LTZ model of the Tahoe. I don't care much: actually, I'm more concerned at getting a truck that still has some "feel" in the steering and ride. Though it's a little wheezy with its old engine and all that weight, the Expedition is surprisingly good in that department: brilliant handling for a fat beast. Going to test it back to back against the Tahoe on Saturday, and the Patrol too. I really want to give the Sequoia a shot, but there's none available for testing right now: the numbers are more impressive, and I suspect its bloated appearance is hiding something surprising.

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to spend <$50k, which I think is reasonable for a used car (because, as previously stated...it will get destroyed). My wife will be driving it, so comfort, reliability and accessibility are key...things like towing capacity, not so much. She's been driving an rx400 for the past 4 years, so I'm a bit concerned about stepping her up into something that handles more like a truck.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking to spend <$50k, which I think is reasonable for a used car (because, as previously stated...it will get destroyed). My wife will be driving it, so comfort, reliability and accessibility are key...things like towing capacity, not so much. She's been driving an rx400 for the past 4 years, so I'm a bit concerned about stepping her up into something that handles more like a truck.

Used GL450 sounds right up your alley /Piobaire

MDX sounds too small. Acadia too chintzy. JX too ugly. Enclave has Buick stigma.

Toyota sounds interesting and perhaps the Lexus GX is worth a look, if a bit lacking in aesthetics and ingenuity.

Any thoughts on the Audi Q7 Diesel?

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Ford are about to replace the V8 Expedition with a turbo V6, more fuel efficient, with a minor facelift. Deals are there to be done on the '14 models new, not to mention the older ones, and it's a very stable and sweet-handling beast. No captain chairs, though. You can get a new base model for under $50k, and if you want some leather and gadgets, I'm sure nearly-new within that. But it seems it's not a popular brand here!

The Acadia is very light and driveable, just don't pay extra for the Denali tags - on this model, they don't mean anything.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

A brand new Ford Explorer. For realz.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was driving home after picking up Halloween stuff and this douche cut me off.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only if it was a gl63 amg. Btw the current gen e class looks ******* fantastic. So so good.

I love how aggressive the front bumper is for the non-amg variants.

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Used GL450 sounds right up your alley /Piobaire

MDX sounds too small. Acadia too chintzy. JX too ugly. Enclave has Buick stigma.

Toyota sounds interesting and perhaps the Lexus GX is worth a look, if a bit lacking in aesthetics and ingenuity.

Any thoughts on the Audi Q7 Diesel?

Is the current version of the MDX, which has three rows, really that much smaller than a Q7? My mother in-law recently bought one and loves it and it definitely looks bigger than its predecessor.

Lexus GS would probably be worth a look and I also wonder about the Nissan Armada, since it's most similar to the Sequoia but probably less expensive. Those are just about the last pickup-based SUVs imported from Japan so will probably drive the most like trucks...

Were it me, I'd buy a brand new Explorer, but then again "new car" has always won out over "more luxurious car" even if it is going to get the crap beaten out of it.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only if it was a gl63 amg. Btw the current gen e class looks ******* fantastic. So so good.

I love how aggressive the front bumper is for the non-amg variants.

We have been looking at one. Can get CPO for $30-$40K from MB or after reading up on Carmax...you can get one with similar miles as CPO but pay a little more and get a 5yr bumper-to-bumper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads