• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dealership is selling a M3 LTW with 99 miles for $100k. Car has supposedly been stored in a climate controlled garage since it was bought. Savvy salesman or smoking crack?

926832138.jpg

926832141.jpg

926832143.jpg

926832144.jpg

926832588.jpg

926832578.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doesn't the corkscrew drop 3 floors or something.

59 feet, with an 18 percent gradient in the middle of it, and the turn is blind (meaning you can't see the end of the turn) when you enter it. The turn itself is not that hard --- it's just a rhythm thing --- but it sets you up for turns 9 and 10, both of which are very fast and are done well when the 3 turns are thought of as 1 complex. Turn 9 can be especially treacherous because it's fast and the terrain changes quite a bit underneath you, and it used to be blind before the latest renovation. The run-off at the outside of the track there has big ditches, and if it's been raining, it's pretty soft and muddy out there, so if you run off the track, you can flip your car. And the entry to 9 isn't as big as you'd like it because the camber of the road falls away near the outside, so you can't take a wide entry into it. The two turns I'm most afraid of at Laguna are 9 and 6.

There is one scary thing for me about the Corkscrew: you are supposed to be hard on the gas (like foot to the floor) from almost the top of the turn to the bottom because the camber comes back at the bottom and catches you. It's very hard to do this when your stomach has fallen away from you.

The story behind the Corkscrew as told to us by the current architect/designer of Laguna is that the original designer walked around the park following his plans with a bulldozer following him carving the ground away. At some point, the designer had to leave to do something else, and he was at the top of the hill. He just told the bulldozer to get down the hill without any specific instructions. Bulldozers being bulldozers, it went straight down the hill, and thus the Corkscrew was born.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

59 feet, with an 18 percent gradient in the middle of it, and the turn is blind (meaning you can't see the end of the turn) when you enter it. The turn itself is not that hard --- it's just a rhythm thing --- but it sets you up for turns 9 and 10, both of which are very fast and are done well when the 3 turns are thought of as 1 complex. Turn 9 can be especially treacherous because it's fast and the terrain changes quite a bit underneath you, and it used to be blind before the latest renovation. The run-off at the outside of the track there has big ditches, and if it's been raining, it's pretty soft and muddy out there, so if you run off the track, you can flip your car. And the entry to 9 isn't as big as you'd like it because the camber of the road falls away near the outside, so you can't take a wide entry into it. The two turns I'm most afraid of at Laguna are 9 and 6.

There is one scary thing for me about the Corkscrew: you are supposed to be hard on the gas (like foot to the floor) from almost the top of the turn to the bottom because the camber comes back at the bottom and catches you. It's very hard to do this when your stomach has fallen away from you.

The story behind the Corkscrew as told to us by the current architect/designer of Laguna is that the original designer walked around the park following his plans with a bulldozer following him carving the ground away. At some point, the designer had to leave to do something else, and he was at the top of the hill. He just told the bulldozer to get down the hill without any specific instructions. Bulldozers being bulldozers, it went straight down the hill, and thus the Corkscrew was born.

Having driven the corkscrew in a video game, I'm an expert.

Its definitely a rhythm thing. And its hard to accept the way you have to attack it.

IMO, Eau Rouge is a much harder corner (non-F1 flat out). My main reason for this opinion is the impact of getting it wrong. The corkscrew leads right into a long left hander. Eau Rouge on the other hand leads to a massive straightaway (uphill even) so the impact of even a slight mistake is magnified much more significantly.

Last edited:

Ty_Webb

Reaction score

I always think I'm missing something with Porsche. Given the cost involved (Say £80,000-£110,000) I simply can't understand why someone would buy one over a Ferarri or Aston Martin. They are ubiquitous round my way; on a street of 25 houses there are 4 911's and two Boxters. Maybe they are cheaper/easier to run? Maybe they are easier to insure? I don't know what it is but I couldn't see myself forgoing the hand made luxury of the Italian or Brit in favour of the German.

One of the partners at my work back in the UK had a 911 turbo for a long time. He loved it. Then he sold it and bought himself a DB9. Everyone at work was drooling over the thing. So pretty. A year later it was gone and he had another 911 turbo. I asked him why and he said he loved the Aston, but he felt like he couldn't leave it anywhere. He drove it from home to work and back again and that was it. The 911 he felt like he could drive it and park it up somewhere and not be too concerned. Difference between a car that's to be driven and a piece of art that you worry about getting scratched basically. Interesting POV.

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
Now. Question for everyone here.

I'm getting married later this summer and for my honeymoon I will be spending about 36 hours in LA (on the way to somewhere a little more tropical). While I'm there I'm thinking it would be fun to rent something "interesting". Was originally thinking Lambo, but that's going to run about $3k all told for a day and a half, which is a little steep. Likewise, the 'rari is that much for a 430 and the 458 or California is 4k+. So I'm looking for suggestions. I want a cabrio so I can enjoy the weather. Some thoughts that are in the only silly bucket as opposed to the totally insane - Merc SL550, 911, Audi RS5 (if I can find one for rent anyway), maybe a Corvette, maybe a Camaro if I can find one of the high powered ones. Basically I'm looking for something fun to drive, that's kind of cool and won't look out of place in Beverly Hills. Any thoughts? Also if anyone has any experience with any of the rental companies in LA, I'd much appreciate any thoughts on that too.

Cheers all

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mentioned earlier that Hertz rents AMG's, Corvette convertibles and Panameras out of LAX. They are very reasonable compared to what you'd spend on a Lambo (but of course not even close to a Lambo in terms of Beverly Hills factor)

Oh and the 911 turbo absolutely destroys the DB9. So there's your art vs function argument plus the performance argument

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Wanted: Used highway cruiser with lots of thrust, hand of god brakes, quiet cabin, smooth shifting auto and above average handling dynamics. Preferably hit badly by depreciation. Sub $45k budget. Go.

Thanks.

This is slightly over your budget, but demonstrates the last criteria well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merc...0075040?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item51ac1f2c20

An E65 Alpina B7 fits all the criteria really well, but is a little old at this point. Hard to come by, but they exist.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now. Question for everyone here.

I'm getting married later this summer and for my honeymoon I will be spending about 36 hours in LA (on the way to somewhere a little more tropical). While I'm there I'm thinking it would be fun to rent something "interesting". Was originally thinking Lambo, but that's going to run about $3k all told for a day and a half, which is a little steep. Likewise, the 'rari is that much for a 430 and the 458 or California is 4k+. So I'm looking for suggestions. I want a cabrio so I can enjoy the weather. Some thoughts that are in the only silly bucket as opposed to the totally insane - Merc SL550, 911, Audi RS5 (if I can find one for rent anyway), maybe a Corvette, maybe a Camaro if I can find one of the high powered ones. Basically I'm looking for something fun to drive, that's kind of cool and won't look out of place in Beverly Hills. Any thoughts? Also if anyone has any experience with any of the rental companies in LA, I'd much appreciate any thoughts on that too.

Cheers all

What about a Lotus Elise? It's a targa instead of a convertible but its supposed to be a blast to drive. Hit up PCH and see the sights. You always have cost overruns on honeymoons so it is a smart move too since its pretty cheap to rent

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I had a good experience with midway at LAX - I reserved a c class for a few days and ended up getting a 2012 650i cab instead and only for like 30 more a day. Was an on the spot thing but it appeared to me that you could ask for an upgrade and they have a pretty good selection in the garage where they would be willing to negotiate to get some rental out of one of the more expensive cars.

whallyden

Reaction score

Get the newest E63 you can find within that budget
2007/08 M6s are in that price range as are 2010 650s. I dunno why M6 prices are so low or why 650 prices are so ambitious.
A8 4.2L or S500 or 750i? Pick em up cheap and old and scrap it in favour of a new one every three years.
This is slightly over your budget, but demonstrates the last criteria well: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merc...0075040?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item51ac1f2c20 An E65 Alpina B7 fits all the criteria really well, but is a little old at this point. Hard to come by, but they exist.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Anyone have experience with the D3 S8?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Anyone have experience with the D3 S8?

Not the S, but I do with the D3 A. Solid car. I've driven the S, its quick. The V10 seems pretty stable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics