• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any benefits in getting a 335d over a 328i? (other than diesel) -- also the '12 328i vs. the '11 335d

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
you guys are hilarious

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

any benefits in getting a 335d over a 328i? (other than diesel) -- also the '12 328i vs. the '11 335d

You'll get better gas mileage and it has more torque and horsepower.

Are you referring to the F30 328is? Those are turbocharged 4 bangers and I test drove one for ***** and giggles.. it had a little pickup but it wasn't an inspiring drive at all. I'd get the 335d over the 328i for sure.

I'm assuming you know that the 335 series is a step up in terms of performance over the entry level 328i.

Edgein

Reaction score
I remember driving my new '77 320i and thinking, this is so wonderful. Lucky I wasn't in Colorado, still sucked in the snow, but fun at Blackhawk Farms and Elkhart Lake!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the 918 will be just fine if they make it look like the concept. hope they don't ******* up

Arthur PE

Reaction score

diesels are getting better every generation
more spark like, wider power bands, higher rpm limit, easier warm up, etc.
there are more than a few in the 0-60 6 sec range
they can be modded easily since they are turbos and since they run a higher comp ratio are usually stouter engines
massive torque, down low, and over a wide band, so great for use with an auto and for everyday driving

http://www.europeancarweb.com/longtermers/epcp_1005_2009_bmw_335d/viewall.html

JuyLe

Reaction score
Not sure 0.1 second and 1mpg qualifies as faster and better mileage. Sounds like the same to me. I sat in the latest 320d and 335d and liked them a lot.
Even so, the 2012 328i is considerably lighter and more aerodynamic. It also boasts a next-generation transmission, which helps the car get to 60 mph one tenth of a second quicker than the old 335d. That's surprising, but not nearly as surprising as the fact that the 328i manages 1 mpg better than the diesel in the combined cycle. According to the EPA's just-released figures, the 328i nets 24 miles per gallon in the city and an impressive 36 mpg on the highway. The 335i? 23 mpg city and 36 highway.

On a side note there's a 550i Touring (not tuned engine that sits in the latest M5 if I'm not mistaken) that drives around my neighbourhood every morning when I go to work. The grunt of the V8 is pretty nice. It's got no badge no nothing, just a massive rectangular exhaust on each side. That thing looks like a beast.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The diesel BMW only comes in an automatic whereas the 328 gives you a choice of manual or auto.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Not sure 0.1 second and 1mpg qualifies as faster and better mileage. Sounds like the same to me.

The diesel is allowed to be a little slower but it should get significantly better mileage, not worse, and not even the same.

Granted, we're comparing across generations and I assume BMW will substantially up their game on the new diesel model as clearly there would be no point in carrying over the engine from the old 335d to the F30 when the 328i does the same job better. But what that means for this comparison is that the new 328i clearly wins over the old 335d.

I would still buy the old 335d but at this point, the reason for doing so would be finding one with a significant cost savings over buying a new 328i -- not for fuel economy or power.

mike1445

Reaction score

Not sure 0.1 second and 1mpg qualifies as faster and better mileage. Sounds like the same to me. I sat in the latest 320d and 335d and liked them a lot.
On a side note there's a 550i Touring (not tuned engine that sits in the latest M5 if I'm not mistaken) that drives around my neighbourhood every morning when I go to work. The grunt of the V8 is pretty nice. It's got no badge no nothing, just a massive rectangular exhaust on each side. That thing looks like a beast.

She's gorgeous

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads