• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E5D5169E-7BA5-407A-BF02-8448C47E00EA.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned XC90 as a replacement for that Subby?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys, I'm a little torn and could use some advice. I recently sold my car (2014 Forester) and am looking to upgrade a bit. I'm okay with paying up a bit, but I want it to be something that'll last. I live in the PNW, spend quite a bit of times outdoors, and am not too concerned with gas mileage, although, I don't want a total gas-guzzler. I'm seriously consider a newer 4Runner, but they're just pretty expensive. Worth it? Your guys thoughts? Any other 4WD/AWD vehicles to consider?
Wouldn’t they run you out of the PNW if you got rid of the Subie? :laugh:

We’ve kicked this use case around in this thread before...you didn’t mention your budget but assuming your upper range is a newer 4Runner...well, it’s hard to beat a 4Runner. Could you even find a Volvo within your budget? If you’re coming from a Forester the XC90 might be too big, the 60 might be more your size. Audi Allroad, GM trucks also get mentions.

how about an oddball option : early Porsche Cayenne, GTS or Turbo? They’re cheap now and in the early days Porsche didn’t realize yet that their customers didn’t give a **** about off-road capability...so they actually made them good off road. Bit of a crapshoot maintenance-wise though.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t they run you out of the PNW if you got rid of the Subie? :laugh:

We’ve kicked this use case around in this thread before...you didn’t mention your budget but assuming your upper range is a newer 4Runner...well, it’s hard to beat a 4Runner. Could you even find a Volvo within your budget? If you’re coming from a Forester the XC90 might be too big, the 60 might be more your size. Audi Allroad, GM trucks also get mentions.

how about an oddball option : early Porsche Cayenne, GTS or Turbo? They’re cheap now and in the early days Porsche didn’t realize yet that their customers didn’t give a **** about off-road capability...so they actually made them good off road. Bit of a crapshoot maintenance-wise though.

I don't necessarily mind bigger than the Forester. I do like XC60s and 90s quite a bit. I actually didn't realize how reasonably priced the 60s are... I'll have to take a look.

The Cayenne is an interesting suggestion. I'm just a bit nervous about maintenance costs for a Porsche.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
at the end of the day, what HRoi said. It's hard to beat a 4Runner, though whack on noting the size of the XC90 without noting the size of the 4Runner.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
so when looking at the XC90, which we own now, we did give the 4Runner a good look. I love the 4Runner, but yeah, it's f'ing huge and drives like it. Which I liked, wife did not.

also worth looking at some of the Land Cruiser variants. Still have my eye on owning one.

XC60 is great, but I've come to really appreciate how good the XC40 is as a total package.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and am not too concerned with gas mileage, although, I don't want a total gas-guzzler.

That seems to rule out the current 4runners which are pretty big gas guzzlers--16 city/19 highway.

How much off-road capability do you really need? The 4runner is in a pretty different class of "offroad" than a Forester...if you're just looking for AWD and a little bit of ground clearance, the 4runner is way overkill.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That seems to rule out the current 4runners which are pretty big gas guzzlers--16 city/19 highway.

How much off-road capability do you really need? The 4runner is in a pretty different class of "offroad" than a Forester...if you're just looking for AWD and a little bit of ground clearance, the 4runner is way overkill.

16-19 mpg isn't too bad, IMO. I've had worse gas mileage :)

The Forester did what I needed it to, for the most part, but there were some places I couldn't go around Oregon/Washington with it. The 4Runner would give me access to that. But, I will say, this isn't the biggest reason for going so much bigger. I'm fine with the off-road capability I got with my Forester, and anything comparable will be just fine.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to recommend the AWD V6 Rav 4.3. Get a 2011 or 2012 limited or the sport if you want stiffer suspension.

Super comfy. Lots of space since the seats fold flat. V6 can tow 3500 lbs.

Runs on regular and gets 25 highway if you have a boring right foot. I think the toasters are boring.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
16-19 mpg isn't too bad, IMO. I've had worse gas mileage :)

I guess...but by todays standards that's pretty bad. You can get an F150 in the low 20s without even going hybrid and a hybrid rav-4 (with electric AWD) gets 41/38.

And remember, MPG is a misleading metric...should be using something like gallons per 100mi like in europe.

Going from 35MPG to 50 MPG sounds like a huge savings, but it only saves you 94 gallons over 10k miles.
Going from 16MPG to 20MPG sounds like it is a small increase, but it actually saves you 125 gallons over 10k miles.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I guess...but by todays standards that's pretty bad. You can get an F150 in the low 20s without even going hybrid and a hybrid rav-4 (with electric AWD) gets 41/38.

And remember, MPG is a misleading metric...should be using something like gallons per 100mi like in europe.

Going from 35MPG to 50 MPG sounds like a huge savings, but it only saves you 94 gallons over 10k miles.
Going from 16MPG to 20MPG sounds like it is a small increase, but it actually saves you 125 gallons over 10k miles.

What happens when I only drive 5k miles every 18 months? Then my gas bill isn't even relevant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads