• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sdfzs

Reaction score

Bourbon Cordovan, hmmm, not that much difference from Saddle Shell. Great boots though.

In real life I would say bourbon is significantly darker than saddle shell.. Bourbon to me is slightly lighter then Carmina's former cognac before they swapped cognac over to today's darker brown with a lot of red tones. Will see if I can post som pictures in a bit

Last edited:

shunted22

Reaction score
Carmina x GYM arrived yesterday

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In real life I would say bourbon is significantly darker than saddle shell.. Bourbon to me is slightly lighter then Carmina's former cognac before they swapped cognac over to today's darker brown with a lot of red tones. Will see if I can post som pictures in a bit

Here you are:

insy

Reaction score
Got them finally. I gotta admit that once you go Cordovan it becomes quite difficult to order anything else
1f60e.png

mikeharo

Reaction score
Any idea when the Saddle Boots will be available for purchase? The only information I see is from the social feeds; no email about them.

sdfzs

Reaction score
Here you are:
Well, i was more into the differences as such between the shades. Now it's a very boring dull day at my location so pardon the poor natural light. All from Carmina, all cordovan, all from Horween naturally. I guess i don't need to admit being a sucker for cordovan...

All comments below subject to a perhaps not perfect memory on timing

Shoe circle:
5 o'clock - Saddle shell, Carmina's own GMTO from early this spring
7 o'clock - Fresh Bourbon shell cordovan from GYW GMTO just arrived, just made it out of the box...
9 o'clock - Carmina's original Cognac cordovan, about 2 years old
11 o'clock - Carmina's cognac from about a year ago when GYW did a GMTO (slightly unsure of the timing), at this stage the significantly red cognac had entered the scene
1 o'clock the Cognac as is today, my freshest pair of Cognac from the 80262 boot sale
3 o'clock Carmina's #8 from about a year ago, also this one from a GYW GMTO

Below:
Saddle (nearest)
Bourbon
"Original" Cognac
Cognac from about a year ago
Current Cognac

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, i was more into the differences as such between the shades. Now it's a very boring dull day at my location so pardon the poor natural light. All from Carmina, all cordovan, all from Horween naturally. I guess i don't need to admit being a sucker for cordovan... All comments below subject to a perhaps not perfect memory on timing Shoe circle: 5 o'clock - Saddle shell, Carmina's own GMTO from early this spring 7 o'clock - Fresh Bourbon shell cordovan from GYW GMTO just arrived, just made it out of the box... 9 o'clock - Carmina's original Cognac cordovan, about 2 years old 11 o'clock - Carmina's cognac from about a year ago when GYW did a GMTO (slightly unsure of the timing), at this stage the significantly red cognac had entered the scene 1 o'clock the Cognac as is today, my freshest pair of Cognac from the 80262 boot sale 3 o'clock Carmina's #8 from about a year ago, also this one from a GYW GMTO Below: Saddle (nearest) Bourbon "Original" Cognac Cognac from about a year ago Current Cognac
Mine was defected and heel slip found, I'm struggling refund or not... Seems I need 6.5 rather than 7 Jaime suggested

LeatherFoot

Reaction score
Oh, might I add that I also have a pair of C&J Hallam oxfords (348 last, E fitting) in 7.5UK and they fit very snuggly (even more so than Yanko). Couldn't go with the 8 though as I got a heel slippage. Has anyboy tried both Simpson and 348 last from C&J and could compare? If I can (barely) make it in C&J, should Simpson still be ok (8, maybe 8.5)?

Personally I wear the Tetbury on the 348 in 6UK and the Simpson in 6.5UK. For my foot the Simpson vamp is too low so it is not as comfortable as the 348 over a full day of wear; otherwise I find the ball and the heel of the two lasts to fit similarly. Ideally you should try the Simpson in person if possible but based on what you wear in the 348 I would say the Simpson in 8 should be fine if you prefer a snug fit. With 8.5 in the Simpson you will likely experience heel slippage.

sdfzs

Reaction score

Mine was defected and heel slip found, I'm struggling refund or not... Seems I need 6.5 rather than 7 Jaime suggested

Ouch! I guess it was your pair posted on Reddit GYW? Mine came out without any defects noticeable unless you really study them with magnifiers.

insy

Reaction score

Personally I wear the Tetbury on the 348 in 6UK and the Simpson in 6.5UK. For my foot the Simpson vamp is too low so it is not as comfortable as the 348 over a full day of wear; otherwise I find the ball and the heel of the two lasts to fit similarly. Ideally you should try the Simpson in person if possible but based on what you wear in the 348 I would say the Simpson in 8 should be fine if you prefer a snug fit. With 8.5 in the Simpson you will likely experience heel slippage. 

Weird. I had the Tetbury as well as Simpson in the same size. Tetbury is clearly longer and caused heel slippage. However, it was more comfortable compared to Simpson. Simpson fit fairly well but caused pain around the toe box, maybe the suede was a bit rough?!

LeatherFoot

Reaction score
Weird. I had the Tetbury as well as Simpson in the same size. Tetbury is clearly longer and caused heel slippage. However, it was more comfortable compared to Simpson. Simpson fit fairly well but caused pain around the toe box, maybe the suede was a bit rough?!

The Simpson is like Gaziano and Girling for me in that I have to size up half from what I normally wear except G&G is more comfortable out of the box. For the record my Tetbury is in suede and the Simpson is in calf. The 348 is definitely more elongated compared to the Simpson but not egregiously so. In terms of heel slippage that has more to do with how closely the heel is lasted to your foot shape rather than the length of the last.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ouch! I guess it was your pair posted on Reddit GYW? Mine came out without any defects noticeable unless you really study them with magnifiers.

Yes That's me. My feet is very slim and even have slight heel slip on 7 Simpson, while killing my ball at left foot. Didn't expect it's so obvious in 7 Detroit on right foot

My Brannock is 9C/D Left & 8.5D/E Right.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads