• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those lizard skin shoes are great. I checked the Unipair website and, unfortunately, they are on the Simpson last. Not going to work for me. :cry:

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those lizard skin shoes are great. I checked the Unipair website and, unfortunately, they are on the Simpson last. Not going to work for me.
cry.gif

Simpson last doesn't work for me either. Dang high instep :(

mcdill

Reaction score
Hi all - first post, as I've just gotten myself a Carmina. Is the vergano brown a mid brown or a dark brown? Looking for a Saphir colour match....

Many thanks and kind regards

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Those lizard skin shoes are great. I checked the Unipair website and, unfortunately, they are on the Simpson last. Not going to work for me.
cry.gif

Simpson last doesn't work for me either. Dang high instep :(

I will talk to our director about ordering that model again as it is quite popular. Rain? Forest?

Oriol

Reaction score
Hi all, 1st post here. Just wanted to report I came back on a weekend trip to Paris for rugby, and got myself my 2nd pair of Carmina's, and ordered the 3rd. Which has to be made in Mallorca by month-end hopefully. A 905 Simpson in an incredible Shell Burdeos colour. Will try to post pics when I get them...

But what I liked the best, is that luckily I was carrying my 1st pair bought in BCN one year ago, Black Shell 905 simpson boot (yes, same as what I just ordered but another colour, love that model, for business and casual), and they were in an not so OK state due to german weather last week... Well anyway, Luis, The manager there, even on a saturday afternoon and half-busy shop, took almost a good half an hour to show me in spanish how to take care of them. He let them go through the machine to remove minor scratches, and showed me how to first clean them, then gently apply the brush with the cordovan cream, polishing them with wax, then with a stocking, and spray Lanolin on them.. After all that they were looking even better that the ones on display. Of course, he also used the chance to show potential customers how 1 year old shell can look like.. but nevertheless great service. Happy customer
nod[1].gif

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

We are big fans of Carmina navy. Navy can look quite different indoors and outdoors.

Oriol

Reaction score
Is Simpson really that narrow of a last? Or just narrow compared to rain, which is wide?

Hard to say in absolute. But compared to Rain probably yes. Because I have an 8,5 in Simspon, but took an 8 in Rain. Although this it was for a Carmina brown suede chukka (same as the Navy one just above, but in chocolate colour). So I am not sure I'm comparing apples with apples, as suede and rubber quite of give more than shell over dainite.

What I can definitely say is that for me the 8,5 Simpson, matches nicely the 8,5 in C&J 348 last, of which I have 2 pairs. If that helps as a reference.

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Simpson really that narrow of a last? Or just narrow compared to rain, which is wide?

I'd say that it is a narrow last - along with Deia and Alcudia. Oscar and Forest would be medium and Inca, Rain, Detroit and Soller would be the widest.

I have shoes in the Simpson, Oscar, Forest, Rain and Soller lasts.

humphery

Reaction score
Hi all, 1st post here. Just wanted to report I came back on a weekend trip to Paris for rugby, and got myself my 2nd pair of Carmina's, and ordered the 3rd. Which has to be made in Mallorca by month-end hopefully. A 905 Simpson in an incredible Shell Burdeos colour. Will try to post pics when I get them...

But what I liked the best, is that luckily I was carrying my 1st pair bought in BCN one year ago, Black Shell 905 simpson boot (yes, same as what I just ordered but another colour, love that model, for business and casual), and they were in an not so OK state due to german weather last week... Well anyway, Luis, The manager there, even on a saturday afternoon and half-busy shop, took almost a good half an hour to show me in spanish how to take care of them. He let them go through the machine to remove minor scratches, and showed me how to first clean them, then gently apply the brush with the cordovan cream, polishing them with wax, then with a stocking, and spray Lanolin on them.. After all that they were looking even better that the ones on display. Of course, he also used the chance to show potential customers how 1 year old shell can look like.. but nevertheless great service. Happy customer
nod[1].gif

Oriol, welcome here! (well, I'm sort of new as well X) )
Would you mind showing us a photo or two of your black Shell, "officially renovated" by the Carmina's manager in Paris? And what sort of machine is it he used to remove scratch for your shell?
Would very much interested to see how they turned out.

Oriol

Reaction score
Oriol, welcome here! (well, I'm sort of new as well X) )
Would you mind showing us a photo or two of your black Shell, "officially renovated" by the Carmina's manager in Paris? And what sort of machine is it he used to remove scratch for your shell?
Would very much interested to see how they turned out.

Sure, they already have a day on them, but to me they look again like new. Wore them in average 1 day/week over last year.
I cannot tell which machine he used, as for this he took them backstage. Initially he said just with a 1st hard brushing is enough, but when he found the scratches, he went just for a min. away.
"Oficially renovated" may be overstating it though ;), he just wanted to show me how to take good care of them. I guess if I ship them in, or let them overnight, re-soling and so on, that is another story, this took 20-25 min. at most.

Last edited:

humphery

Reaction score
Sure, they already have a day on them, but to me they look again like new. Wore them in average 1 day/week over last year.
I cannot tell which machine he used, as for this he took them backstage. Initially he said just with a 1st hard brushing is enough, but when he found the scratches, he went just for a min. away.
"Oficially renovated" may be overstating it though ;), he just wanted to show me how to take good care of them. I guess if I ship them in, or let them overnight, re-soling and so on, that is another story, this took 20-25 min. at most.

Lovely, apart from the inevitable crease they look much like new!
Those shell's peculiar deep shine was very well restored. That manager really know what he's doing

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michael13